Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Tombstone, AZ

We are planning an RV trip from San Antonio, TX to Tombstone, AZ. There will be 2 families and each family has their own RV. I am looking for suggestions on kid friendly RV parks along the way.

Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #2

While you're visiting Tombstone (weekends seem to be more festive), be sure to drive the short distance to Bisbee and take the mine tour. The kids - and adults - will enjoy it. They give you yellow slickers, yellow helmet with a head light and seat you on a mine train/car for the tour which is given by former miners. It's very information and fun.

Also nearby is Kartchner Caverns State Park with a great campground and hiking trails. The tours are awesome. It's a living cave and the formations are still growing/dripping. It's quite different from Carlsbad or Texas' Sonora Caverns if you've been to either.

In Texas as you travel, a nice campground just off I-10 in Bahmorrhea State Park and you can swim in the crystal cold waters if the weather is good.

City of Rocks and Rockhound State Parks near Deming, NM are nice campgrounds.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

We had a great day in Tombstone, until we returned to the RV and discovered that someone had stolen some of the wheel covers. Watch where you park!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

Copper Queen

The mine tour that was mentioned is the Copper Queen mine. I went a number of years ago and the guy that gave the tour worked in the mine before it ceased operation. After the tour we felt we were ready to show up for work the next day since he explained how to mine as well as everything that was done in "the day". We were not willing to work for the two dollars a day he made back then.
Make sure you tour the Bird Cage while in Tombstone. They told me I would have been giant back then. That was after I asked if the chaps on display were for a child.
I have two photos of my great-grandfather taken by his brother in Tombstone, marked, Fly's Photography Studios, Tombstone, Arizona Territory. You will see his place while you are there or at least the building representing it since most of Tombstone burned to the ground years ago.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

ears

Forgot to tell you that the shoot out is loud so since you mentioned children you should take ear protection for them.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stay in Alpine,TX and take the kids, after dark, to Marfa and look for the mystery lights of Marfa.
Fort Clark Springs in Bracketville,TX is an old cavalry post with most of the old buildings still in use. The deer will come right in the campground to feed in the evening.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

All great suggestions, especially re: Bisbee. There is an RV park right next to the Copper Queen Mine. Small but nice with overlooking views of the area and walk into town. The Copper Queen Hotel is a landmark and worth a walk though. Some interesting local color at St Elmos on Brewery Gulch (maybe not for kids) Have breakfast a Dot's Diner (if it's still open) and see the Shady Dell trailer park. The Bisbee Breakfast Club in the Lowell section is great for breakfast or lunch and if you like old cars/motorcycles a walk down the street will interest you. Our favorite restaurant in Arizona is the Café Roka on Main Street in Bisbee
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We agree with all the ideas so far, just want to add if you have not been to Carlsbad Caverns NP that is a must see. Our kids loved the White Sands Nat'l Monument in Alamogordo, too. Take some waxed cardboard to slide down the dunes.

We enjoyed Tombstone for 1 day, but liked Bisbee much more. We then went to Sierra Vista, and just looked around, realizing you can spend several days experiencing all the attractions there, too.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

We loved the mine tour in Bisbee. So much fun! We felt that Tombstone was a big rip off. Everything in tombstone has a fee associated with it, not one price to view it all. And maybe it was just the day we were there but the grounds were filthy with trash everywhere. We were disappointed.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
...Also nearby is Kartchner Caverns State Park with a great campground and hiking trails. The tours are awesome. It's a living cave and the formations are still growing/dripping. It's quite different from Carlsbad or Texas' Sonora Caverns if you've been to either...
Kartchner Caverns State Park is 29 miles from Tombstone and its a great place to stay. We spent 4 days there last week. Good paved roads and parking pads, though some are sloped a little more than I would prefer. They have pull-thru and back in spots with full services and either 30 or 50 amp and all have picnic tables. Wood was also supplied for the public fire pits and the camp washroom and showers were clean. We stayed in a back-in spot that was over 65 ft long and nearly level. The cost was only $21 per night and that included your park pass.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Must See

For me, I had to visit my Great Aunt Marie Lopez. She is burried on Boot Hill in Tombstone. Papa doesn't know she was a stagecoach robber.

Bob Lopez
Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #12

"We felt that Tombstone was a big rip off. Everything in tombstone has a fee associated with it, not one price to view it all."

Not trying to be condescending but, Tombstone is a town, not a movie set or an amusement park. Each business is owned by an individual. Most of the people live there all year around they are not employees that drive there for work. I know they have people that walk around picking up trash but Americans have some how come to believe that it is our right to just drop whatever we do not want on the ground and "someone" will clean it up for us. Most people I talk to these days do not understand we are the government they think it is some sort of corporation that takes care of our needs and does so free of charge.
Other than that it is a tourist trap.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

[QUOTE=King Clark;2418176]"We felt that Tombstone was a big rip off. Everything in tombstone has a fee associated with it, not one price to view it all."

Been their twice, and I think you are a little out there. Yes it is still a living town, and the people who work there live there, that's what makes it nice. They have pretty much left it as it was in the day, and Boot Hill is a real Cemetery. They do have some charges to see things because like you said it is not a movie set it is a living town. If they didn't make a little money it could very well be it would turn into a Ghost Town. Did you know that some people who live there, if they come into town wearing Cowboy attire, riding their own horses ect., their only pay is free drinks/food from some of the establishments. Any fees they charge are well worth the visit.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take time to visit the HollyWood of the Desert, Old Tucson Movie Studios. Film History | Old Tucson
ALSO visit the Saguaro National Park and Visitors Center.
Saguaro National Park
There is a RV Park in Tombstone. It takes 3 or more days to see and experience everything in Tombstone without exhaustion as the streets roll up early. Wells Fargo RV Park. Tombstone Arizona Across the street from the RV park is an American Legion Post. Great place to get away from the tourist prices for food and drink.