Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tombstone/Bisbee area

We are planning to be in the Tombstone area around the end of Jan next year (2015) for a week or two. Never been there, any suggestions on where to hang our hats? For that long we will probably want full hook-ups, 30 amp would be fine (not expecting to need both AC's in Jan). We'd also rather not be spending $50 or $60 a night for some fancy-dancy high end RV park. We're looking for good times and good people, not out to impress anyone

We'll be in the 39' Quad-slide Discovery with a toad, so a little elbow room at the site would be nice. Also, as much as we hate making reservations (locking us into a have-to-be-here-on-this-day schedule) should we be looking at reserving a spot now? I know it gets busy down south in the winter.

cheers...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

Try this site out...

Tombstone (Arizona ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed near Benson which put us close to Tombstone, Bisbee and a whole bunch of other sites to see. RV park was Chochise Terrace RV resort. Park is very nice and rates were not that bad if you are a member of Passport America. Passport America membership paid for itself in savings the first week we used it.

Don't forget to explore Kartchner Caverns, Fort Huachuca (one of the oldest active forts and now army intelligence center), Chiricahua National Monument and Chochise Stronghold to name a few plus do the mine tour when in Bisbee. We spent two weeks there and plan to go back again next year to explore more in that area. Tombstone is kind of a tourist trap but the court house museum is worth it.

As you probably know there is a lot of history there to explore.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

I don't know of any "fancy" high end parks in that area so you'll likely not have issues in that regard. Tombstone is a fun day or 2 but very touristy. Bisbee is a really special place. With homes built into the sides of surrounding hills it makes me think of what San Francisco must have been like at the turn of the century. There is an RV park there next to the Copper Queen mine (definitely go on the tour lead by former miners) but a couple of days here is enough. Have dinner at Café Roka, drinks on the patio at the Copper Queen, breakfast at Dot's Diner in the Shady Grove (vintage RVs set up as lodging units with a 1950's style diner) and/or Bisbee Breakfast Club past the open pit mine in Lowell. Bisbee is like the Key West of southern Arizona. Have a beer at St Elmo's in Brewery Gulch for some "local color"

You might also check out Karchner Caverns State Park. I believe they have RV hookups there and you can check out the caverns at the same time
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #5

I would second all of the suggestions above. We too stayed in Benson and really enjoyed our stay there. (If you stay in Benson during the week be sure to stop at the Mi Casa restaurant. They have some of the best Mexican food you have ever tasted anywhere.)

But, a note on Tombstone. You have to decide if you are interested in the history or the glitz. Everything about the gun battle is walled off and "recreated" in shows. To me, this was a real disappointment. The real history is found at the newspaper office. You could easily spend a couple of hours reading all the information that they have there. The real-time accounts of what happened that night offer a different look and feel than the movie versions of that event. I could have spent more time there.

And I agree that the mine tour in Bisbee is really great. This is the only tour we have been on that really gives you a true feel of what it was like in those mines. You actually go into what was a working mine; not a mock-up. And you get to see just how tight some of the work areas really were. My wife and I found it fascinating.

And while you are in that area seriously consider a trip to the Chiricahua Naitonal Monument. There are rock formations there I doubt you will see anywhere else. We found it interesting.

Bob
Old 10-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowRAM View Post
yea, I've used that site in the past. Good information.

Looks like Benson turns out to be ground zero for this part of the country. After looking at satellite maps of most of the PPA parks as well as rvparkreviews.com, Cochise looks like one of the best. Many of the others appear to be right next to I-10, the railroad tracks or both. Quite noisy I would imagine. I sent off an email to Cochise asking about availability in late Jan. We'll see if they bother replying.

Another park, Saguaro SKP Co-Op, has an interesting offer. It's a own-your-own RV pad type place but you can stay there for a week with full hook-up for $50 - teaser rate. I suppose you would have to endure a sales pitch for an hour or 2 one day, but for $50 for 7 days I can do that

Keep those ideas coming, we're getting excited!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #7

Gammons Gulch movie set
North of Benson.

http://www.gammonsgulch.com/movie-set/

Some pics here
http://davenola.blogspot.com/2014/10...t-and.html?m=1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just a side note. If you get a chance watch this old James Garner film Hour of the Gun. He plays Wyatt Earp and it is fairly accurate as to what happen in Tombstone. I happened to catch it on TV a day or two after our tour of Tombstone and enjoyed it immensely, but I've always like James Garner.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cochise Terrace Rv Resort - Sites And Homes For Sale, Camping, Rv Park Reviews This park is near Benson and we stayed there about a week. We explored Tucson, Bisbee and Tombstone from there.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #10

We would also recommend staying in Benson. It will be a little warmer than Tombstone at that time of year and there's more to do in the central area. It's also an easy drive into Tucson for a day trip.

RE: the Escapees Saguaro Co-Op RV Park and their special deal for non-members: You will not have to endure a sales pitch. It's a wonderful park - large landscaped sites and beautiful mountain views - hiking from the park, dog park and lots of clubhouse activities.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

Like a bit of nature?
Saguaro Natl Park East is closeby.
Some pics here:

http://davenola.blogspot.com/2014/10...-east.html?m=1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We would also recommend staying in Benson. It will be a little warmer than Tombstone at that time of year and there's more to do in the central area. It's also an easy drive into Tucson for a day trip.

RE: the Escapees Saguaro Co-Op RV Park and their special deal for non-members: You will not have to endure a sales pitch. It's a wonderful park - large landscaped sites and beautiful mountain views - hiking from the park, dog park and lots of clubhouse activities.
Good to know. Thank you. I don't know what this one is like but parks like these we've been to in the past remind us of country clubs. We stayed at one in Palm Springs that was like staying on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills or something. Not really our scene but if they're silly enough to let me stay there for a week basically free, I reckon I'm just silly enough to take them up on the offer

We'll focus on either Cochise or the Co-Op. Seems like as good a plan as any.

While I've got your ears, our next stop after Benson will be in the Alpine/Balmorhea/Big Bend area of Texas. Quite a few RV spots in the general area but its a big area. Any tips on RV parks in that area would be mucho appreciated as well.

As always, thanks much, a world of knowledge on these here pages
Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #13

I would stay at Chochise Terrace. The parks in Benson you hear the railroad and the whistle at 3 am. Mi Casa is ex but closed on weekends. And don't forget to see the Sand Hill Canes on their migration. Stop at the visitors center in The town of Benson
Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #14

In Tombstone last month we stayed at Tombstone RV Park & Campground and we highly recommend it. It is about a mile north of town and they offer shuttle service into town if you need or want it. New owner Scott Dolman is very attentive and is improving the park daily. We paid $30 per night. The parks in the town itself are not very inviting.

We found Tombstone to be very interesting from a history standpoint. It does lend itself to being a little touristy but there are many other things to search out other than the gun battle re-enactment at the OK Corral.

Bisbee also looked like a very interesting old copper mining town with most of the town built on the sides of mountains with Main Street down the middle. We would visit here the next time we are in the area.

Don't sell Tombstone short. It is interesting beyond the touristy part. Eat breakfast at the Chuckwagon Cafe. The local oldtimers eat there. Interesting conversations.

Don