Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Too tall ? Too long ?

I have been told that National parks won't fit a 13 ft. tall MH or one over 39 ft.
Anyone experience problems at campgrounds being too tall or long?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #2

You can't lump all national parks into one question. Just like rv's they are all different. We stayed at Yellowstone in Fishing Bridge with our 38' 5'r and the problem there is the sites are VERY close together. Did we fit? barely. So, the answer is you have to look at each park for length. We've had more trouble in private campgrounds with height. Some of them don't trim their trees and our sides get scraped or the branches prevent us from parking in the site they assign us. Our 5'r is 13'6". Forest service cg's tend to be older, narrow roads and shorter sites. State parks are all different, some have longer sites, some don't.

missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

Many of the national parks were built a long time ago, before such big RVs existed. As a result it is commonly said that you need to be 30 ft. or shorter for many of the roads (too twisty and narrow) and campgrounds (shorter sites, trees preserved that will scratch the side of the big rigs). That is the reason we bought under 30 ft. I looked up the parks I wanted to go and looked at the restrictions on the campgrounds and it was true, many of the places we wanted to go had shorter length limitations.

Many of the big RVs will stay nearby in commercial parks that are set up for them and go into the national parks in their toads (cars they tow behind them).

I like staying in the national park campgrounds because they often have ranger talks or events going on that I would likely miss if I was not at the actual national park campground.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
As stated it all depends. There's one, I don't recall which one, the actually measures by lining your rear bumper up with a line on the pavement, if your rig exceeds the line 35' away (again, as I recall.) they'll turn you around. But in general it's not been an issue for me around the southeast.

I might be testing it this fall though. Cades Cove has a 35 foot limit, physically my rig is 38'. But it's named a 346 sooooooo, we're going to try it.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #5

We have a 40' motorhome and have gotten sites - without reservations - in many national parks, some of which are Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Canyonlands (Needles), Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and others. You may have problems in the east.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Just tell them 34'. I've never had anyone check anyway.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
When they say 22' trailer at Big Bend's Chisos Basin Campground, believe them. No way you are getting a big rig up there.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I might be testing it this fall though. Cades Cove has a 35 foot limit, physically my rig is 38'. But it's named a 346 sooooooo, we're going to try it.
I stay at Cade's Cove regularly in my 40 foot RV. There are 5 sites numbered A1-A5 that are classed as handicap sites that I have no trouble getting on. A non handicapper can stay on them if available. The only caveat is that if a handicap camper shows up you may be asked to relinquish the site, which I would be glad to do. There are several regular sites that I can fit on as well, but I have not made a list of them. I usually plan my trip with online reservations or go in early spring or late fall before the crowds arrive and before it gets to hot. CC is dry camping only with no hookups.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Man View Post
I stay at Cade's Cove regularly in my 40 foot RV. There are 5 sites numbered A1-A5 that are classed as handicap sites that I have no trouble getting on. A non handicapper can stay on them if available. The only caveat is that if a handicap camper shows up you may be asked to relinquish the site, which I would be glad to do. There are several regular sites that I can fit on as well, but I have not made a list of them. I usually plan my trip with online reservations or go in early spring or late fall before the crowds arrive and before it gets to hot. CC is dry camping only with no hookups.

Wiley
Change of friggin plans! Not a single site longer than 25ft was available in the time frame I have to work with! I've got one week that fits in with my stupidly busy fall photography season and I guess I waited too late for leaf season! Lol! I'll plan earlier next year as I've been twitching to camp at Cades Cove. Thanks for the info!

I'm going to my favorite CG, Mile High CG outside of Cherokee. Primitive, $20 a night but check out the view I'll have. Threadjack over.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
When they say 22' trailer at Big Bend's Chisos Basin Campground, believe them. No way you are getting a big rig up there.
Amen to that brother. Been there and NOT done that in our MH. Always ended up camping down by the river on the east side of the park. Now the Cottonwood campground was nice too...no gennies allowed there though.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I'm going to my favorite CG, Mile High CG outside of Cherokee. Primitive, $20 a night but check out the view I'll have. Threadjack over.

Have you stayed in Mile High? I've been there several times in my jeep. Talk about seclusion and nice views. We rounded a curve on the way up and came across a dozen elk. Wasn't sure about staying there because of the seclusion and primitive nature of the camp ground and the layout of the sites. Let me know how it goes. I am leaving Wednesday to host at Davidson River CG outside of Brevard, NC Aug thru Oct. if you fly fish you should check it out.

Wiley

Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote