Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Townsend, Tennesee Campground

We are making our first trip to the Smokies in our rig and want to stay in Townsend. Where should we stay or not stay? My parents are camping in Cades Cove, but we want hookups and wifi.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Misty River last fall. Its out of the busyness of the commercial areas and close to the park.

Campgrounds Townsend TN Vacation Cabins at Misty River Cabins & RV Campground

Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at the KOA, which was fine. But, next time we're through that area we'll check out Big Meadow Family Campground.

Enjoy your stay on the "quiet side" of the Smokies.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Townsend

Next time I'm going to stay a Misty River, never stayed there, passed by, but it is the closer to Maryville, Tn where my relatives are. Used to stay in the driveway of my aunt's house but that fell through for some unexplained reason. That side of the family is weird, not many left, so I try to visit once a year.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Our Good sam chapter had a rally at Misty River this past week end. Third year for our group to go there. Some members looked at Lazy Days CG closer to the park. Lazy Days has lots of shade. Grocery stores are back in Maryville some10-12 miles. Enjoy your stay in our area. Ck. our website for previous campout pictures of the area.
Safe Travels
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your input. Big Meadow looks great, but our travel dates didn't fit their availability. I think Misty River looks nice, but it is farther away from Cades Cove (where my parents are boon docking)' so we went ahead and booked at the KOA. I get a discount there and it is right on the edge of the park. We'll see how it goes this year and scope out the other campgrounds.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We ( a group of 10 campers and 2 cabins rented) just spent a week at Lazy Daze this month, but it will be our last unless some major changes are made. Restrooms were dirty, mildew, old soap pieces, nasty shower curtains in showers etc. They did clean it and replaced the shower curtains after one person said he was calling the health department. Sure glad we had full hookups. Sites are small and if you have slideouts they will reach over to the next site beside you.Trees need to be trimmed really bad, no lights in the campground except at the pool area. We mentioned it to the 'office' and they said that we should own a flashlight. It was extremely dark due to the over abundance of trees. One couple from SC stayed at one of the cabins,, you have to furnish all of your own linens, furniture looks overly used, not the cleanest. However, the gentleman was walking back to the cabin from the shelter house after dark, tripped over the leg of the picnic table going to the door, he fell and broke his arm. The local hospital said he needed surgery. They decided to go back home to get the surgery as they were so close. They paid for a week but due to this mishap, they had to leave on Wednesday. The owner refused to credit them with the balance of the week. We went to the owner hoping that she would change her mind but no luck. More happened but will not say. Office help are 'work campers' and very rude. You have to pay for 2 nights stay to hold a site but no refunds for any reason.
I looked at the BBB report for Lazy Daze ,,, too late,, after we were stuck with a 2 day deposit, and the rating was D- but we hoped for the best and got the worse.. so if you aren't sure, look up the BBB report for a business before you give them money.
The Koa that we saw that was close by looked like small, tight sites but can't say anything good or bad about it.
The auto tour of the Cades Cove is great, we went up there several times at different hours of the day.. best part of our trip....

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed in the Townsend KOA in Nov. 2009. Plenty of space for our 40-footer and very quiet.

Great BBQ place right down the road too!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #9

The koa in Townsend is great especially with kids. The only other one that we stay in is Tremont. Both are great.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the info on Tremont,,, we are going back to the area again next year but looking at campsites a little more thoroughly this time. The area is a great place to go, so much for everyone, depending on what your interests are.

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground