Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #1

TR: Heber Mountain, UT boondocking 7/21-23/2017

I just got back from another weekend enjoying the new TT with friends. This time I returned to one of my favorite camping areas, Heber Mountain.

Heber Mountain is a 10,200-foot summit east of Heber City and southeast of Park City, Utah. However, it doesn't look like much as it's surrounded by a huge expanse of Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest that sits 9,500-10,000 feet. The summit thus doesn't have much prominence above the surrounding land. It's at the northwest corner of an area of National Forest measuring over 200,000 acres that's criss-crossed by numerous Forest Service roads, nearly all of which are legal for dispersed camping.

We picked a small knoll at 9,870 feet that was about a quarter mile due south of Heber Mountain on FR-094, that had a rare amenity for this area: 4G on Verizon, two bars! If I walked 300 yards from camp I lost service completely.

With highs in the low 70s and lows in the 50s at camp, this was a perfect weekend to get out of Salt Lake, where it was in the upper 90s all weekend. I could have done without the thunderstorm with nickel-size hail upon our arrival Friday evening, however. Views were also somewhat obscured by a smoky haze thanks to some distant wildfire. Those were the only anomalies, though, in an otherwise gorgeous weekend.

Looking north from our campsite toward Duchesne Ridge and the High Peaks of the Western Uintas beyond.

Even though it was a holiday weekend in Utah, our nearest neighbor was a quarter mile away, barely visible on the ridgeline in the distance.

Dinner with a view.

Our camp is visible at photo center.

Looking down the nearby West Fork of the Duchesne River. Virtually everything you see in this photo is legal boondocking.

Smoke from distant wildfires makes for hazy conditions, but also glorious sunsets.

FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

For more info:
https://www.campendium.com/heber-mountain

Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Wow I'm in Herriman. I will have to check this out!!!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Damn! There you go again! Another place on my Utah bucket list when I get back out there. I'm going to have to look you up someday, seeing as you're going to all the places I want to! That's the kind of camping I want to do- all the amenities but in the middle of nowhere. Man, you're killing me! I used to work up in the high country between Nephi and Farron on the east side of the mountains. Even sat down on the top of Mt. Nebo- 2nd tallest mountain in Utah- and had lunch. Have you boondocked anywhere in this area? Love all your post about camping out there.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Damn! There you go again! Another place on my Utah bucket list when I get back out there. I'm going to have to look you up someday, seeing as you're going to all the places I want to! That's the kind of camping I want to do- all the amenities but in the middle of nowhere. Man, you're killing me! I used to work up in the high country between Nephi and Farron on the east side of the mountains. Even sat down on the top of Mt. Nebo- 2nd tallest mountain in Utah- and had lunch. Have you boondocked anywhere in this area? Love all your post about camping out there.
Appreciate it! Never in the immediate area of Nebo, but to the immediate South and North of there.

Right now I'm sitting in line for the dump station after returning from Whitney Reservoir in the Uintas. Post and photos to follow tonight.

Tags
boondocking