Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Following this post with interest, as we are leaving for Colorado in a week and want to go to RMNP. My question is how crowded are the NPS campgrounds? We have no reservations made, as we want to just "wing it" and not be tied down to any one area. We're not huge fans of crowded campgrounds or RV parks and much prefer NPS and State park campgrounds, even if they offer no hookups.
Will we have much problem finding a site after Labor Day weekend at RMNP?
Timber Creek, on the West side of the park, is open till November. First come first serve, 30ft max. The two weeks we were there, Timber Creek was the only campground that showed vacancies at the entrance station late in the afternoon. If you show up in the morning, you may be able find a spot on the east side.

The problem after Labor Day is the rut. September weekends are busier than June, July, and August (according to the NPS). I imagine rolling in on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday would be the best bet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Following this post with interest, as we are leaving for Colorado in a week and want to go to RMNP. My question is how crowded are the NPS campgrounds? We have no reservations made, as we want to just "wing it" and not be tied down to any one area. We're not huge fans of crowded campgrounds or RV parks and much prefer NPS and State park campgrounds, even if they offer no hookups.
Will we have much problem finding a site after Labor Day weekend at RMNP?
I just got back from three nights in Moraine Park Campground (Tuesday through Thursday nights). Tuesday, it was full (we had reservations made a few months ago for all three nights). Wednesday and Thursday, it appeared that there were open campsites.

After Labor Day, it would appear that you'd have an even better shot, though you never know.

For the record, Moraine Park is a beautiful campground. I've been in both of the RMNP eastern side campgrounds (those that accommodate big rigs, that is) and I like Moraine Park better. Glacier Basin has had to have a bunch of its trees cut down due to the pine beetle epidemic (a really tragedy for the park), while Moraine Park has most, if not all of its trees.

Enjoy your trip. RMNP is a true gem.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #17

We spent out 1st day at RMNP, yesterday. WOW. Eager to go back & see another part of it. We drove the dirt road, Old River Rim Rd to the top...Hairpins & Switchbacks, oh my! We are happy to be staying atRiverview RV Park. it was a 25 minute drive with the 2 road construction stops. There is no way I want to take the motor home across the park. Even as the passenger, It was scary! But, we felt privileged when an Elk choose our car to cross in front of. Another, wow.

Tags
advice, travel