Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Travel to Canada- Border crossing

We are in Grand Island, NY about 10 miles from Niagara Falls. Had not planned on taking RV into Canada but drive our Jeep over Rainbow Bridge into Canada. Have current abbreviated US Passport cards issued in 2017. We are from Texas and have Been on road for over two months. We are tourist and look the part. Hats, Cape Cod shirt, camera, maps, etc. They asked for our travel documents then asked a number of questions which I answered. I don't know what information they have access to or if they knew My wife and I have Texas CHL's or if they think every one in Texas carries. After 10 minutes of questions, the guy handed me back our Passport cards and a yellow sheet of paper and instructed me to turn left to the review area. There were two more guys there. One asked us to exit the car and take a seat behind the barricade, which we did. They spent 25 minutes looking inside my Jeep, under the seats, in console, glove box, camera bags, seat backs, then took everything out of the back including chairs, fans, jackets, first aid kit, air compressor, and my Jeep carry bag with snatch straps, tools, and other Jeep off-road items.

In the meantime, dozens of tourist and others passed through with not a whimper. I have no idea why the Canadian border guys selected a couple of 70 plus tourist to Jack up, but they picked us for some reason. I think it was because we are from Texas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2665.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	545.7 KB
ID:	174328
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I understand that the Customs folks have access to all state gun license information. Perhaps (don't know for sure) if you had admitted you have the Texas CHL but aren't carrying, it might have made a difference.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They did not ask if we had a CHL, but did ask if we had any firearms or ammo.

There is strange things happening. Preparing to board for a whale watching cruise in Bar Harbor, the guy asked me if I had any sharp or pointed instrument? What was unusual, he did not ask about guns and I was wearing my Glock Shooting Sports hat!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

Anyone from Texas not driving a pickup, would look very suspicious.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Maybe just a random check. We haul a race car on an open trailer, and back in 2003 went through a thorough search of the car and all outside compartments when returning to the U.S. With the same setup, returning from trips in 2012 and 2017, we breezed through. The only difference was having to show registration for the vehicles.

Ooops. Just re-read the post and it concerned entry into Canada. Other than an issue way back in 1979, we have never been searched entering Canada.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
WDW

Sunglasses. If you were wearing sunglasses that looked like shooting glasses it might have contributed to their profile which triggered your secondary inspection.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

You didn't have your "come and take it" Texas T-shirt on did you?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #8

you just drew the short straw. they are just doing their job. feel lucky that the usa guys didn't inspect you on the way back through they can be twice as tough as our northern friends.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
You didn't have your "come and take it" Texas T-shirt on did you?

No, I had my Cape Cod shirt and Baa Haa Ba hat and clip on sunglasses. I looked like s typical tourist. No come and take it shirt!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
No, I had my Cape Cod shirt and Baa Haa Ba hat and clip on sunglasses. I looked like s typical tourist. No come and take it shirt!

My 80 yo inlaws had their camper inspected and got interrogated for 90 minutes in Calais . Canada border patrol even went through their cell phone messages Perhaps theres a profile for 80 year olds from NJ
Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #11

We are from Texas and I have a CHL. We have been to Canada several times with and without the MH, in a car and in a truck without issue. I think it was just a random inspection or it could have been the sunglasses, I never wear them.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #12

Being Canadians we cross the border many time a year and have plenty of experience with border service agents in both countries. Not surprisingly we are challenged to a higher degree when entering the USA than returning to Canada. I suspect Americans get the same thing coming our way.

Three times in the last year we have been pulled over by US Border Services and twice sat on the bench while Agricultural Inspections were performed. On one occasion we had two tomatoes arrested and on another a bag of Mexican grapes confiscated. We were warned that further infringements such as this could result in the loss of our Nexus trusted traveler cards. But I wonder if the border guards just get hungry and see motor homes as lunch boxes.

So for US Border services it seems to be more about food and for Canada Border Services more about Taxes, Booze and Guns.

There is no rhyme or reason to getting inspected, best to just be polite and let them do their power trip. One would think a couple of seniors in a motor home would slip under the radar but obviously they don't all see it that way.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Had a similar experience crossing into Canada on a Harley once. Border guard asked if I had a weapon, no, do you normally carry a weapon at home, occasionally, pull behind the barricade. Damn near took my bike apart.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #14

I am a Canadian and the fact you were not wearing a: No come and take it shirt!

would have set off alarm bells....

Sort of like me not saying "eh", eh?
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, travel