Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Talking Traveling from Cape Cod Ma to North Dakota

HI all,
In about 2 weeks (Aug 14th) I will be traveling from Cape Cod Ma to North Dakota. As I sit here and map it out, it looks like I will be on I-90 for most of my trip. Has anyone traveled this road, are there tolls, any reports on road conditions, should I take a different road? Any ideas on Campground to stay at or which ones should I skip? Any ideas and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe the Ohio Turnpike will be a toll road. But if you are just traveling through they have Overnight RV parking at some of their service plazas. Electric hookup with water and dump station available for $20 a night.

You can also map your route on google maps and look for road construction.

Ohio turnpike link below.
http://www.ohioturnpike.org/travelers/service-plazas

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traveling from Cape Cod Ma to North Dakota

HethaBeth..... Except for about 150 miles in PA and northeast OH, I-90 will be a toll road all the way from 495 in Westborough to Chicago, and the segment through NY is particularly pricey. Now, going to North Dakota, you don't want to dip too far south, so you're going to have to pay some tolls, but you can pretty much limit it to I-90 in OH and IN, both of which are pretty reasonable.

I've crossed the northern tier a few times, and I'd suggest the following to miss some of those tolls:

Mass Pike to Sturbridge, then I-84W all the way to Scranton. Not much in the way of CGs from CT to Scranton. A few, but not many. I-81S for a while, then I-80W through the rest of PA and onward. There are CGs along I-80, and the ones we've used have been good. When you enter OH, I-80 becomes the Ohio Turnpike, with tolls. Around Cleveland I-80 will merge with I-90 and they will be collocated as far as Chicago. BTW, bug512 is right about the rest areas along the OH Turnpike. Designated RV overnight areas available with 30/50A at each spot, fresh water and dump available, for $20/night. We've used the service. It's a parking lot, but clean and well maintained.

Continue on I-80 PAST Chicago. DO NOT take I-90 or I-94 northward through Chicago, no matter what the signs say. You will get mired in a traffic maelstrom that has no beginning or end and from which there is no escape. You will likely hit a bit of traffic as you transit I-80 through the Gary and Hammond area. You're skirting pretty close to Chicago here, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

Stay on I-80W to LaSalle (about 80 miles) and take I-39 northward. There are four CGs near this intersection, all of which are very nice. At Rockford you'll merge back in with I-90, and at Madison WI you'll merge back in with I-94. These will take you up through MN, and I presume you'll want to stay on I-94 for ND.

Enjoy your trip! I hope you'll have the time to smell a few roses along the way!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Thank you so much for that info!!! I've never done this far of a trip and I hate sitting in traffic! So a little out of the way that will keep me moving is ok with me!! I have an app called state lines that will tell me what rest areas I can stay in and for how long, but I didn't know about the rest areas with rv rest sites.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found out about this after listening to a podcast where they talked about it.

Link here
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HethaBeth View Post
Thank you so much for that info!!! I've never done this far of a trip and I hate sitting in traffic! So a little out of the way that will keep me moving is ok with me!!.......

Glad I could help! I'm from eastern MA myself, so your post caught my eye.

Where in North Dakota? It's a big place! And how much time are you allowing for the trip? If you're on a tight schedule there's not much you can do about it, but I'll caution you this: try not to push it too hard. You said "...I've never done this far of a trip...". If you're not accustomed to sustained long-distance driving, day after day, it can be exhausting.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

I am headed to "Why not Minot? Freezen's the reason!" I am taking two weeks to get out there and back because I still have the work thing. I flew out there last time and was able to get to Theodore Roosevelt National park. This time I would love to check out the little town outside the park and possibly spend a night in the park. On the way back I would like to travel through Canada and possibly check out Niagara falls. With that being said can you think of any info to volunteer? As for driving long hours. I work in transportation, and I am used to long days of loops. I do know my limits and if I get tired I will just take a break and nap a while, lol. My drivers seat is my livingroom and my TV is the open road!

What part of Eastern Mass are you from?

Tags
travel