Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #15

We always stay at All Star RV Resort when visiting the Houston area, other than that we plan our trip to drive through Houston. There use to be sites at the Katy Mills Outlet mall which was easy on and off of Interstate 10.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure when you plan on coming thru but if you are going to stay over a weekend then Traders Village is a great place to do some shopping and spend a day. It's only open Saturday and Sunday and is on the NW side of Houston. They honor Good Sams and is only about $25 per night.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
There are several new RV parks in Houston - have stayed at Northlake RV Resort and Westlake RV Resort. They are all owned by the same corporation. There is also a EastLake and we have reservations in May for Fallbrook which is another one of there's. Good pull throughs, dog friendly, nice lake, clean. If you have to go to Houston - then those will work well.
When you very to the Fallbrook RV Park make sure you check out the Mexican Bakery just north of Fallbrook on Veterans memorial. If you can try their flan cheesecake it is amazing!
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #18

We have stayed at Marina Bay RV Resorst Marina Bay RV Resort in the Kemah area. Nothing in Houston is close to anything else, so you will need to travel to get to other parts of the city. This campground is fairly close to Highway 8, Houston's outer loop, and from there you can get to other parts of the city fairly quickly.

Cheers
Logicality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #19

Just checked and appears several Walmarts in the Houston area do "not" have overnight parking so if interested that is not an option. When needing to make a "one" night stop on our travels it's easier for us to pull into a Walmart, not put jacks down, not put out slides, or unhook the vehicle. Plus gives us the advantage to pick up some items in the store. We are heading east to west next week with destination in Corpus Christi ... since Beaumont (east of Houston) is about the halfway point for us, we'll stop in a Walmart there (checked several websites and appears they allow overnight parking (Dowlen Road)) and plan our trip through Houston mid day the next day to stay away from the traffic.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #20

I need to travel thru Houston. I will be entering from the SW on Hwy 59, transitioning to Hwy 610 and then leaving on Hwy 59 on the NE. I will be hitting Houston on Tuesday about 11:00 in the morning. I would appreciate and help or cautions you folks could provide.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
I need to travel thru Houston. I will be entering from the SW on Hwy 59, transitioning to Hwy 610 and then leaving on Hwy 59 on the NE. I will be hitting Houston on Tuesday about 11:00 in the morning. I would appreciate and help or cautions you folks could provide.
610 can be a beast and you will be catching lunch time traffic. If you can make it an hour or 2 earlier you might be better off. Use Google maps to monitor the Houston traffic might help in your planning

S
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #22

I have Houston East RV reserved where I will go through Houston on a Sunday on the trip heading West. On the way back East I had to settle to go through Houston on a weekday. I have Westlake reserved then where I can time it after the rush hours are over. Both times I will be taking I-10 straight through.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
The route you are thinking of will work okay. There is some construction on 610 & 290. It has been a month since I've been through that area but I do not think you will have any trouble. Most of the construction is new connections to 610.

Caution as you approach the 610 N exit off 59. Traffic can back up at all hours due to only one lane for exit. There will be a large sign across 59 warning of possible slow traffic ahead. Just after you pass the sign you will crest a rise, and traffic can be stopped near the other side of crest.

Now on 610 N, you next will cross I-10(no issues), then through the 290 area. As you approach 290 area be in 3 right lanes to stay on 610. After passing 290 the next major interchange is 45. Left lane exits to 45N and right to 45S. Two middle lanes stay on 610. Try to be in lane next to left lane, this lane also offers exit to 45N or continue straight to stay on 610E. After getting through this interchange you have normally gone through all the tough areas. About 3 more miles you will exit onto 59N. Caution the exit onto 59N has a sharp curve so go slow and honor the slower speed limit signs. Many truckers lose control on this curve.

How you are on 59N with clear sailing with the only other major interchange being the Beltway 8. That is rarely a problem area. Continue on past Humble, Kingwood, Porter and to New Caney. One mile after New Caney is a Flying J if needed with easy exit and back on.

How having said all the above I have a suggestion if you are okay paying tolls. Exit off 59 on SW side onto Beltway 8 north. This is a toll road and you will have about 3 toll booths getting to 59N. I believe this would be your best route through Houston. The toll booths will be tight but you will fit; most truckers will pay in far right lane. As you approach 45 interchange(E of 3rd toll), I suggest you be in lane next to left lane. Then as soon as you pass Airport exit work your way to lane left of right lane to prepare for Cleveland - 59N exit.

Another option is to stay on 59 all the way through Houston. Traffic will slow for usually only about 2-3 miles. This would also be easier than 610. IMHO

Sure hope all the above makes sense. You should have no problems getting through from 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. All bets are off if you come upon a wreck as that will always back up traffic.

I will be in your state middle of March at HWH. Hope the snow stops!
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #24

Berry .. you know a lot about Houston. I'll be coming through from the East on I10 next Thursday and then transitioning to 59 . It will likely be morning after 9:30. Would you recommend just staying on I10 to 59 toward Corpus Christi or perhaps better to go I610 to 59? Thanks for you assistance.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Berry .. you know a lot about Houston. I'll be coming through from the East on I10 next Thursday and then transitioning to 59 . It will likely be morning after 9:30. Would you recommend just staying on I10 to 59 toward Corpus Christi or perhaps better to go I610 to 59? Thanks for you assistance.
I do fair on major roads but get me on downtown streets and I'm lost as a goose.

I think you have a good plan exiting onto 59 off of I-10 W. I think the 59 S-SW will require you to exit I-10 from Left lane. This is a one lane exit so traffic can slow/back up some. If it's backed up for 1-2 miles I would then consider continuing on I-10 to 610(on W side) to 59. Probably a wreck in the 1 mile described below.

Okay you exited off I-10 onto 59 as you had planned and now have about 1 mile to crossover to 3rd lane from R, to continue on 59. If you fail to cross to 3rd lane you will be exited onto 45. This 1 mile requires attention due to people wanting off 59 and those wanting on 59 in short area. After passing the 45 exit, suggest you get into lane next to left lane. That lane I believe will take you the remainder of the trip through Houston.

One good option would be to stay on I-10 until you are on far west side of city and exit on Beltway 8 S, and take it to 59. 8 is a toll road. If you do this pay attention for about 1 mile between 59 & 45 exits downtown. Stay in center lanes because again left and right lanes will exit onto 45 N/S. After passing I-45 exits, I-10 will open up to about 6 lanes W. After passing 610 exits, I-10 will open up to about 10 lanes W, until your Beltway 8 exit. I think you will have 2 toll booths on 8.

If you need fuel, you will find several truck stops around Baytown on far E side of Houston.
Hope above makes sense, if not send me a PM.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #26

Thanks B&K. It does make sense. I zoomed in on google maps and did see where you do exit left off I-10 to 59. Also see where you must move left several lanes once you get on 59 so not to get forced off at I-45. My GPS is good at giving instructions so based upon your info and the GPS hopefully I won't have too much a problem around 10am making the transition (have my fingers crossed). If the -10 left exit is backed up, the I-610 fallback looks doable as well. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #27

Reubenray ... hope your trek through Houston was uneventful. Thanks to Berry/Karen, I traveled through the 4th largest US city (Houston) today at about 10:45 and didn't have any problems coming in from the East on I-10 to 59 SW. We live pretty much remote in SD, so get pretty nervous driving through big cities and was white knuckled and expected worse. But traffic wasn't too bad and your instructions along with the GPS were spot on. Thanks again ...
Old 03-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Reubenray ... hope your trek through Houston was uneventful. Thanks to Berry/Karen, I traveled through the 4th largest US city (Houston) today at about 10:45 and didn't have any problems coming in from the East on I-10 to 59 SW. We live pretty much remote in SD, so get pretty nervous driving through big cities and was white knuckled and expected worse. But traffic wasn't too bad and your instructions along with the GPS were spot on. Thanks again ...
I have not taken the trip yet. It is planned for the first week of September which is Labor Day Weekend. We will spend Saturday night at Houston East RV park and drive through Houston on Sunday morning. We will drive to San Antonio for the next stop.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel