Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling Through Houston?

After reading as much as I can about Houston it appears that I need to go through Houston on a Sunday morning. I need campgrounds close by on both the East and West side of Houston with pull thru sites and easy on/off access to Houston. I am tweaking my schedule to hit Houston on a Sunday morning.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lived in Houston 45 years and can't recommend any RV parks. We never camped close to home. Search woodalls.com for Houston then use map view. One potential problem on weekends is going to be construction. Highly recommend watching a couple evening and morning news on local TV channels. The traffic reports will be very helpful. They seldom close the interstates - but when they do it helps to know alternatives. Most likely you will zip thru.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After reading as much as I can about Houston it appears that I need to go through Houston on a Sunday morning. I need campgrounds close by on both the East and West side of Houston with pull thru sites and easy on/off access to Houston. I am tweaking my schedule to hit Houston on a Sunday morning.
I have been through Houston many, many times on motorcycle, car, and several times in motorhome with toad. I don't have ANY bad memories about transiting thru there on I-10. Los Angeles, Atlanta, St Louis . . . yeah got some not-so-warm and fuzzy memories, but Houston, nope.

Sunday, of course, would be a good day to buzz through, but also, any week-day between noon and 3PM should be good (in any city).
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

We stayed here for a week last winter when we had a personal issue that kept us in Houston.

Houston RV Resort & Houston RV Park | Lakeview RV Resort

Like all the other RV parks in Houston it was expensive and close to the freeway which means noisy. The park was very nice, I don't remember if they had pull through sites, we were in a back in. This park is associated with other high end RV parks around Houston. I didn't want to stay in Houston and was glad to leave.

Driving there was not much of a problem, just avoid morning and evening rush hour. Watch for the toll roads that go around the city. They do not take cash, only the electronic system that you have to pay for in advance. We almost ended up on one that loops around northeast of the city. They are well marked, we got off on the last exit and drove on the frontage road.

We enjoyed Texas but the best part of staying in Houston was seeing it in our rear view mirror.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

We stayed in the West Lake RV Resort west of Houston in Katy.
Nice enough and a reasonable price as I remember.
Will stay there again if we're in the area.

Enjoy, rick p
Old 02-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at Houston West RV Park (west of Katy) on a recent trip going to Kerrville, very easy on and off the interstate with pull thrus. Then coming home a month later, we stayed at Houston East RV Resort (Baytown), again, easy on and off the interstate with pull thrus, a little more crowded than the other one, but it was just a one night stay for us. Going westbound, we managed to time it just right so that we were going through Houston during rush hour, oh my goodness!!! ugh! While it took awhile, we were impressed with how nice the other drivers were, letting us change lanes as needed. We were driving a MH pulling an enclosed trailer. Coming home we hit it right before rush hour and breezed through. We always stay on I-10 and never take any of the loops. Good luck!
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We came through Houston a couple months ago - took the bypass loop - an easy ride and it was mid day during the week. We stayed in a camp in Beumont that was terrible. can't remember the name but it had something to do with bayue
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #8

We have transited through Houston several times both east and west bound with no issues. We just hit it mid morning/mid afternoon and stay in a middle lane and go right through. I-10 through Houston has more travel lanes than I have seen on any other road. We usually stay at one of the campgrounds in Beaumont but that area is a swampy mess. We just suck it up and put up with it for just one night.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of years ago we traveled north to south through Houston on Sunday, light traffic. We stayed at Advanced RV Park south of Houston, very nice park.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #10

We have stayed at Gulf Coast RV Resort in Beaumont a few time. Large concrete pull through sites.
West side Houston West RV Park.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

Gulf Coast RV Resort in Beaumont honors Good Sam, FMCA or Passport America. This is a large, clean rv park with level concrete parking slabs and good utilities. It is right off I-10 on the west side of town. They also offer a free continental breakfast.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Try Houston East or West RV, stayed at both.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
There are several new RV parks in Houston - have stayed at Northlake RV Resort and Westlake RV Resort. They are all owned by the same corporation. There is also a EastLake and we have reservations in May for Fallbrook which is another one of there's. Good pull throughs, dog friendly, nice lake, clean. If you have to go to Houston - then those will work well.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

We have stayed at Gulf Coast RV Park in Beaumont numerous times. Each time we have stayed there, it was a swampy mess. Each time, our site was so narrow that we had to step out into the swampy grass to get in and out. If you have a big motorhome, it looks like they put you in much nicer sites (our observation). We have a large 5th wheel and have always been put in a tight, narrow site. There there is not much in the area so we just suck it up and stay there.

Tags
travel