Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling thru West Virginia

Looking to tour WV. Looking to drive US119 from Morgantown to US250 /US219 to Rich Creek. Doable in a 41' mh and toad?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did WV last year, it is a great trip.

It is my wife's homeland.

You will love it.

John
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Community Administrator

I'm looking at the Mountain Directory East. It says there is 2 miles of 8% grades around Marlinton and road is a bit narrow on 219 and 2 1/2 miles of 8-9% grades between Lewisburg and Marlinton also on 219.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1363272085.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	47283

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-222018650.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	498.0 KB
ID:	47284

They also make a West.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Looking to tour WV. Looking to drive US119 from Morgantown to US250 /US219 to Rich Creek. Doable in a 41' mh and toad?
If you only stay in the "best resort" type camps, you may not want to consider this park.

On the other hand, if you like a nice park manager that will bend over backward to make your stay as good as possible, and a quaint park off the main path (literally), then this may be a consideration;

Lazy Ks Campground and Canoe, Elkview, West Virginia 25071 - Island View Rd, Take Exit 9 on I-79 North, Turn E toward the Go-Mart on County Route 43. Go approximatley 1 mile and turn Left at the 4-way stop onto Elk River Road. Go 1.4 miles and turn Right onto Blue Creek Rd. Immeadtely cross the bridge and turn Right nto New Hope Rd. Continue for 1 mile. New Hope Rd. will take a hard left turn. DO NOT take the turn, continue straight onto the gravel road called Island View Rd into camp., GPS: 38.44260, -81.46626

All Year, Tents, 2060 ft elev, full hookups, electric, 30/50 amp, tables, water, dump, pet friendly, playground

Ken is the owner. He is a good guy. On my way to the iRV2 rally my toad was disabled and I had to stay unexpectedly in the area while it was repaired.

I called and told Ken about my situation. It was late in the evening, Ken told me that he would save me a pull through site. He said he has a day job, so I may not see him the next day, so just come back some other time when on my way through the area.

I ended up staying for two nights. Ken did pop in the next day, not to see if I would pay, but to offer me a ride into town to get my car when it was done.

He saw that I did not have satellite and ran off to get me a satellite receiver and hooked my RV to his system.

Yes, I did pay him his day rate. If I remember it was about $25 per nite. He did end up taking me back into town to get my car after it was repaired (60 miles round trip), and yes, I compensated him for that, even though he did refuse to take it at first.

I'll warn you that the park is out a ways on a rural gravel road, and late at night it looks a lot worse than during the day. Regardless, the park is clean, has full hookups, and safe. We enjoyed our stay in spite of the situation.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
John,
Thanks for the comments.

Cliff,
Thanks for the info. 8%-9% grades will be a challenge for me. Not for the mh. We'll just take it slow. The trans and engine brake should know what to do.

Ted,
Thanks for the cg info. It's not quite where we're going. I'll keep it in mind. Still working on our first mh resort cg.

Thank again
Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Funny you should ask.

Last August, we came south on I-79 from Planet OH-10. We wanted to revisit The Greenbrier after last visit in the 70's after it was 'outed' as the nuclear shelter to DC.

The GPS started trying to get us to turn southeast on every little highway that shortcut over to Lewisburg.

I just retired from putting a 110' wingspan into a 112' gate, so not too much scares me.

I eventually relented to the GPS, and took US19 off of the interstate, to join US60 back to I-64 west of Lewisburg.

Big mistake. I am a 41' Dutch Star with engine brake and instrumented tires weighing 29k, new brakes towing a 20' enclosed (25' overall) that weighs just under 9k. All rated for my rig. The switchbacks and hairpins took both directions of the road, the front bumper on the guard rail, and the trailer tires 2 feet in the inside ditch. The signs said 5MPH turns. probably 30 times. 3 or 4 8%+ grades, with 5MPH rock wall to guard rail with a cliff dropoff at the outside. By the time we got to the bottom (no place to pull over and cool), brake temps were maxxed out, and fade was evident.

Do yourself a favor. Take the 'long' way thru Charleston on the interstate. There will be no banjo music on that route.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

We drove 219 through Marlinton recently to ride the Greenbrier Bike Trail. Gorgeous drive, but mountainous with switchbacks. We drove very slowly even in a 25'. I wouldn't want to drive it in a bigger vehicle.

Paul & Debbie
2011 Winnebago Via
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all.
We'll park the rig and drive it in the toad.

Tags
travel