RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Traveling to northern Texas, Arizona, New Mexico & lower California

Hello,

Need some help planning a trip out west. Leaving from the lower Michigan area mid-January, for about 5-6 weeks, spending approximately one week in each of the above states. Traveling in a 35’ MH, towing a car, just hubby & I. Many questions:
- feasible to visit listed states in 5-6 weeks?
- best places to see?
- best roads to travel on?
- best campgrounds to stay in?
- feasible to visit the Grand Canyon?
Never been in this part of the country so need all the help we can get. Thank you in advance.

Rose

Rp1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
If you go through Amarillo, stay at Oasis and take a day to visit Palo Duro State Park. I wouldn't take my RV there. Several fun sites in around Amarillo.

If you go to/through Winslow, Az, stay at Meteor Crater RV and visit the Crater -- very cool for a half day.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Oh, don't miss Santa Fe. One of the 5 best places to visit in the Country. Google it.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Are you saying 6 weeks roundtrip? It can be done but you won't see much. I'd at least rule out California in that timeframe. For mid-January you need to head directly south to I-10. Staying along the interstate won't give you an idea about the states. You need to venture off. Texas is BIG... could take a week to cross it if you want to do anything. New Mexico - even the southern part - will be cold in Jan/Feb and don't go farther than Albuquerque, if that. Santa Fe will have winter/snow. Arizona - don't go farther north than the greater Phoenix area as you will have winter.

Grand Canyon - only if you'd like to see it with snow or if you're very lucky with the weather.

Is this your first snowbirding expedition? If so you might want to break it into a two-year trip. Do the Alabama, Louisiana, Texas coasts the first year. The second head directly to NM, AZ and CA. Or else allow more time for this trip - 4 months would be ideal and in March/April you can venture a little farther north in those states and the wildflowers will be blooming. Jan/Feb are the coldest months for all those states although you can have some very nice days, too.

There is just so much to see and if you could give us a hint of your interests and goals perhaps we can help more.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #5

Travel this route a lot. Live in Phoenix area.

There is a RV/Trailer museum in Amarillo at an RV dealer, very nice, google it. The Big Texan in Amarillo is great for Steaks.
Santa Fe/Taos NM are great.
Angle Fire NM is very nice, east of Taos, great newer resort, I think its 9000 feet. Angle Fire RV Resort.
Petrified Forest Nat Park in Holbrook, AZ
Winslow, AZ (Standing on the Corner, Eagles Song)
Historic Route 66 at various places along Route 40 fro Texas to California, some of the best are in Arizona.
Meteor Crater outside Flagstaff, nice RV park
Sedona is a nice arts community near Flagstaff, known fro its Red Rocks.
Flagstaff, we like Woody Mountain RV Park but its pretty rustic and 30amp
Williams, AZ, Bearizona is a drive thru animal park, very nice.
Just camped at Trailer Village in the Grand Canyon a week ago, very nice, the Elk are in the campground all the time. Great for afternoon cocktails.
It would be easy to spend 5-6 weeks on and off just the Interstate 40 in Texas, NM and AZ. If you go further south to the Interstate 10, there is more but would probably take more time. Assume you mean Southern Calif like San Diego? Get some reservations for SD as can get very booked.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #6

The above post by Ron930cab gives many places where you don't want to be in January! Brrrrr.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp1955 View Post
Hello,

Need some help planning a trip out west. Leaving from the lower Michigan area mid-January, for about 5-6 weeks, spending approximately one week in each of the above states. Traveling in a 35’ MH, towing a car, just hubby & I.

Many questions:

- feasible to visit listed states in 5-6 weeks?
*Sure the issue will be it is winter - That works two ways - Cooler/cold and fewer people/no need for A/C -
*Does the 6 weeks include the drive out and Back? Need to have the Windshield time figured in as it is a good drive.
*You have left out Utah, is this on Purpose? Lot's to see and do there.

- best places to see?
*Long list of places - Texas - Austin - Hill Country - Big Bend - Many State Parks Then on to Carlsbad - White Sands...............Canyon de Chelly ......Page .........Monument Valley......Sedona......Grand Canyon .....Lake Powell and Mead ... I'm not a fan of Cali just too crowded and too many people ........Really IMHO there are no wrong Choices but with your time schedule you will need to be selective - It's a BIG area really BIG. -

- best roads to travel on?
*I's in the Winter - and you will need to keep an ear open for the Weather. I'd use all the roads but the I's to get from A to B.

- best campgrounds to stay in?
*State Parks - National Parks - BLM - Reservoirs - Being Winter you will need to be smart carry all you need, Supplies/food and stay fueled up and filled with Water.

- feasible to visit the Grand Canyon?
* Yup - People there everyday of the year - while Cold it is clear and Beautiful in the Winter. If you are really LUCKY you might catch it with a Little Snow, but you will need to be really Lucky!

Never been in this part of the country so need all the help we can get. Thank you in advance.
* Never been, then I'd Skip Cali and bring in Utah maybe even add a few more weeks. If you find you need to Warm Up possibly head down to Yuma - usually a little warmer there. Think about trying to make it a Loop - Look at the Map it's usually pretty easy to do.

Rose
After you digest this a bit, I'd break the trip down into each State and re Post with your Plan - You have a BIG TRIP planned with, IMHO a lot on your Plate - so take your time - divide it into workable Sections - Get a couple of Paper Maps - work on it - get back to us - and it should be great.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #8

twogypies is correct, too many cold places on my list, poster above has a bunch of good ones on the "southern route" (i10). Consider San Antonio, South Padre Island is great that time of year, no spring break folks, Las Cruces NM. If you do get on i10 in west Texas you can have snow in Hill Country and out to about Van Horn heading towards NM. There is a great steak place outside El Paso called Cattlemans (not a chain). Has entertainment and lots of animals on display. In southern AZ, Karchner Caverns, Tombstone, Bisbee have a lot to see. Yuma on i8 is nice, visit Mexico on the border, can be very busy in January.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

We have done the same basic trip two years in a row except in February. Leaving Ontario, we picked up route 66 at St Louis, and followed it right through to California at Needles.Seeing the Grand Canyon is a matter of timing. We stayed near Phoenix both years. The first year, they were threatening sub freezing temperatures up at Flagstaff. We left the rv in Phoenix, and drove up to Sedona, and on to the Grand canyon. We returned to Phoenix the same day. It made for a long day, but we wanted to see those places. Last year, the forecast was for nicer weather so we took the rv up to Flagstaff, and on to Page to see the slot canyons, and the Glen Canyon Dam. The forecast was calling for snow at Flagstaff, so we headed across into Utah, catching Zion NP, and dropping down to Las Vegas. We basically went right around the Grand Canyon. If the weather forecast is cold and snowy, head for the desert. If the forecast is favorable, head up the mountain. One thing to remember is Phoenix is at about 1500 ft. The rim of the Grand Canyon is close to 7000 ft. We took in Quartzite, Lake Havasu, Oatman, Tombstone. After our fun around the desert, we headed back across New Mexico and North Texas. We went to San Antonio the Alamo, Carlsbad caverns, and others. Last year, if you wanted warm weather, you would have had to go to South Padre, or to the Florida Keys. Even at the gulf coast it wasnt very warm most of the winter. Every year is different. Just be prepared to change plans to head to the nicer weather. If it wont cooperate, just bring your touque and mitts, and make the best of it. Thats what we did. We were the crazy Canadians drinking beer at the picnic table with hat and mitts on. Cheers.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

If you make it as far as SoCal, try to get a spot at the State Beach in Carlsbad. You'll get the real California experience then. But book early.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

If you go to Palo Duro Canyon, park up top by the entrance building and drive down in your towed.
We were there and the lady in the Entrance bldg suggested we do just that.
We drove down in our car. Steep, several switchbacks we would have been unable to make the turn without stopping & backing up.
Got back to the entrance bldg and told the lady I didn't bring enough underwear to go down there in our 36' MH and come back up!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Just for grins (and more planning!) try to include both National Parks in Texas ... Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains. Both are awesome! Both have campgrounds.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
If you go to Palo Duro Canyon, park up top by the entrance building and drive down in your towed.
We were there and the lady in the Entrance bldg suggested we do just that.
We drove down in our car. Steep, several switchbacks we would have been unable to make the turn without stopping & backing up.
Got back to the entrance bldg and told the lady I didn't bring enough underwear to go down there in our 36' MH and come back up!!
Huh?? Did you notice the big RVs in the campground? How do you think they got there? We had no issues with our 40' motorhome making the turns.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #14

Thank you so much everyone! It's a little overwhelming and maybe we're "biting off more than we can chew", trying to do it "all".
After reading your comments I think the wise thing to do is to head down I-75 to I-10 and head west.
The other reason for this trip is to get away from the cold Michigan winter so we definitely need to stay on the southern end. We'll skip California & concentrate on the other states.

When do you recommend visiting the Grand Canyon? Spring or fall? Thanks again everyone.

Rose

Rp1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, california, texas, travel