Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Treasure Island Fl Desoto Park

Folks, I've located an old Army buddy after 44 years that lives in Treasure Island. Fort Desoto Park seems like my best bet to visit him. Looking at their webpage I see RV Waterfront sites. If anyone can share their favorite sight or sights I'd appreciate it. I was also able to locate my Ssgt as well who lives in Crystal Springs, Ms and that will be another visit. Txs to all and Happy Holidays...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

It comes down to two things in this beautiful park, and it is your best choice. If you have pets, you get relegated to the pet area sites, they are the least desirable. They are fine. If not, and the park isn't totally reserved, you might luck out and get a waterfront site. There are plenty of them. Sites are good sized some pull through. I don't recall the numbers of the best sites as we traveled with dogs and had to stay in the pet area.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep..I saw the dog area and that is where we would stay.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Beautiful Park better call as early as possible tough to get in during winter months.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
Beautiful Park better call as early as possible tough to get in during winter months.
We have found it tough to get in year round. The few times we were able to were weekends and there was a lot of "party city" activity. The cancellation policy is strict and fully adhered to (no refunds) so make sure you know you will be there when you say you will. Enjoy your reunion.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just spent last week there. We had to leave the dog at a sitter since our reservations were for the no pet side and were made well before we rescued our dog. It is a very nice park with miles of beach and great cycling and kayaking. The pet area sites do seem smaller than the others, but are still pretty nice.

The cancellation policy is no refund, but it can be applied to a rescheduled visit.

While not as nice, the Madiera Beach KOA is closer to Treasure Island and is more likely to have space this time of year. That said, Ft DeSoto was wide open last week during the week. Not so much on the weekend. The KOA is a typical KOA with higher prices and many amenities that we do not use.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

We were at Ft Desoto in early November, only about a third of the sites were taken while we were there for three days during the week. We ran into a "regular" visitor who told us that Oct/Nov in the Fall, and March/April in the Spring were usually the least crowded months and the nicest weather. In the no-pets area at least, I don't think there were any bad sites. We did pay a little extra for a waterfront site and think it was worth it, even though the other sites were still nice.