Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 03:39 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
. IMHO one day to drive Teton NP and hike Jenny Lake will give you all a good highlight.
That would be like trying to eat a gourmet meal in five minutes. Some things have to be savored. If I had to visit the Tetons in less than four days I would feel cheated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #30
Crash Test Blonde :-)

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yah we love the Tetons and plan on spending 2 wks to a month there next year. Just thought that given their itinerary and schedule, they could do the National park drive in the one day, and the hike on the same day.

If people are up for hiking more and longer, then much longer in the Tetons and Rockies in general is always a good thing.

Also, perusing the online versions of the tourism brochures for the area is another good way to get more ideas and familiarity with the highlights. For Bozeman, an example that I like is : Outside Bozeman - Summer 2016 digital edition

Hope that all helps!!

CC & Paul & Duckie the perfect dog (ACD)

Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #31

Route Help Requested (Bryce Canyon to SLC, Utah)

All,

I'm making progress on my trip across the Western US and am in the route planning phase. We have a diesel Ford F-250 and a 31 ft 5th wheel. Does anyone have a recommendation for the route we should take from Bryce Canyon to Salt Lake City? I'm thinking of taking the 89 all the way up to Provo, UT and then cutting over to the 15 up to SLC.

I've looked on Google Maps and the terrain looks a bit rough at some spots. However, I've heard it's a much nicer drive then just taking the 15 all the way up to SLC. Any thoughts?
hollyv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #32

89 from Bryce to Salt Lake City is an excellent way to go and it's not bit 'rough'. You're correct, secondary roads are much more enjoyable than an interstate.

If you do change your mind, take 89 through Panguitch and take Hwy 20 over to I-15. It's also a good drive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyv123 View Post
All,

I'm making progress on my trip across the Western US and am in the route planning phase. We have a diesel Ford F-250 and a 31 ft 5th wheel. Does anyone have a recommendation for the route we should take from Bryce Canyon to Salt Lake City? I'm thinking of taking the 89 all the way up to Provo, UT and then cutting over to the 15 up to SLC.

I've looked on Google Maps and the terrain looks a bit rough at some spots. However, I've heard it's a much nicer drive then just taking the 15 all the way up to SLC. Any thoughts?
Coming into your party a little late - Look these two sites over - 17 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips - a family that has been doing this for years and has now relocated to your coast.

Stan Parker's album is just a great resource for ideas - using pictures of many of the places you will want to visit - Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com -

Having done this for years we have found that the more we plan the more hectic it gets - Just get yourself into the general areas - explore - enjoy - extend and just have fun.

One trip with the Granddaughters and parents I asked the question as to what was the most fun? Throwing rocks into the stream - not the hike into the Aspen and Lakes at the Bells (Maroon Bells. CO) - so just remember that all need to enjoy the trip and everyone sees it differently.

Best of Luck as you try to get this planned,

As for the question posed - I always try to Catch Rt 12 if in the area - which would open you to just TOO much in the way of things to see (Bryce - Kodachrome - Escalante - Capital Reef - Goblins - and just soo much more ) IMHO sometimes you need to just drive through and plan on the next trip as to spending the time to enjoy later. So not wrong choice as the trip should be as good as the destination.

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Busskipper said:

"Having done this for years we have found that the more we plan the more hectic it gets - Just get yourself into the general areas - explore - enjoy - extend and just have fun.

One trip with the Granddaughters and parents I asked the question as to what was the most fun? Throwing rocks into the stream - not the hike into the Aspen and Lakes at the Bells (Maroon Bells. CO) - so just remember that all need to enjoy the trip and everyone sees it differently."

I agree wholeheartedly. We set a goal of seeing all the Presidential Museums, not at one time but over several years. So each trip to a Museum took us through new territory and we explored as we went along.

We very seldom made reservations and kind of wandered around a bit. Being retired helps though.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #35

We are from the Portland and looks like you will be going through the Columbia River Gorge area. Don't want to say there isn't alot to do around the City but the kids will love the Gorge. Rcommend either Memaloose State Park near the Dalles, or Ainesworth StatePark near Troutdale. Plenty of waterfalls dams fish latters, wind surfers at Hood River, Mt hood, Beacon Rock to climb, Crown Point, Maryhill Museum, Stone Hinge just to name a few. Think this is the 100 year celebration of the old highway also.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
There is a pretty good history museum in Missouls.

Also, west of Missoula along 99 is Deer Lodge with its old stare prison and a national historic ranch site. It's worth two nights there to see the 7 or 8 museums contained in the prison including a very nice auto collection. The ranch presents a great develooment history of the area. I think the teens will enjoy both.
Deer Lodge is about 80 miles EAST of Missoula.