Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Trip from AZ to Washington DC to New York, New York

I am a planner - my trip will be in the summer of 2016. I am looking for information about where to stay. I have found two campgrounds that I think look like the right options, but I would like more information if anyone can help.

For DC, I am looking at Cherry Hill Park campground in College Park, MD.

For NY, I just ran across Nickerson Beach Park in Lido Beach, NY.

We will be in my 35ft travel trailer. I think it will take us a week to get there and a week to get back. I am looking to stay in DC for a week and NY for a week. I think that should be enough time to see all the sites with the kids.

Can anyone give me info on these campgrounds or any others that are recommended? I would like full hookups and to be somewhere safe and relatively quiet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

We stayed at Cherry Hill Park - great campground. Public transit comes into the park and will take you to the train station that will take you into DC. So easy. Great Senior citizen discounts if that applies to you. We would definitely stay there again.

In New York City we stayed at Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City. Easy getting into the city either by train or ferry. We would walk to the ferry boarding area, cross over, walk to a large hotel and then take a taxi wherever we wanted to go. We love everything there is to do and see in New York City and have stayed there many times. Nothing fancy, really just a parking lot, but the access to the city can't be beat.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
In order to get to Lido Beach, you'll have to drive your rig THROUGH New York City to get there. I've done it and I'd rather have root canal now.

Like the previous poster said, Liberty is way better for access to the city. If you want to do a beach day, you can leave the TT and do a day trip to Sandy Hook which is maybe an hour south of Jersey City.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
We stayed at Cherry Hill Park - great campground. Public transit comes into the park and will take you to the train station that will take you into DC. So easy. Great Senior citizen discounts if that applies to you. We would definitely stay there again.

In New York City we stayed at Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City. Easy getting into the city either by train or ferry. We would walk to the ferry boarding area, cross over, walk to a large hotel and then take a taxi wherever we wanted to go. We love everything there is to do and see in New York City and have stayed there many times. Nothing fancy, really just a parking lot, but the access to the city can't be beat.
I looked at that Liberty Harbor RV Park first, but I am not too sure about that. How difficult was it to get a reservation? What time of year was it for you? I am looking at staying in June and I was afraid of not getting a reservation since it is so small. It is just a parking lot too, and I will have my two daughters with us. It looked a little sketchy for lack of a better word. The reviews are good and bad for it too. Location is the best, but I don't know if it makes up for the lack of everything else. Any additional info about the place would be great.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
In order to get to Lido Beach, you'll have to drive your rig THROUGH New York City to get there. I've done it and I'd rather have root canal now.

Like the previous poster said, Liberty is way better for access to the city. If you want to do a beach day, you can leave the TT and do a day trip to Sandy Hook which is maybe an hour south of Jersey City.
I was trolling through google maps yesterday. It wanted me to go through downtown and the Holland Tunnel, and today it says go over the Verranzo-Narrows Bridge (toll). I think if I do go to Lido Beach, I will go north up and more west so I could go through Fort Lee (GW Bridge). It would add more distance, but in the long run probably save me some time and headaches.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nunyadamn, I would suggest you travel to up state New York to see the Adirondack Park and/or the Finger Lakes area. Both are lush and green compared to the Arizona. We traveled through your sate this past winter and we are planning to return. It is much better suited for us in the winter months.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're planning a similar trip for early next year, and I'm looking at the Black Bear Campground in Florida, NY - other than the drive to get into NYC is there any reason NOT to stay there?
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

There are a lot of options to site seeing in NY City but none of them should include driving there or driving through the city. It is the only city in America that is designed for Mass Transit. I have always stayed at Mahlon Dickson Reserve in Morris County NJ for $20 a night and drove to a town with a PATH train station into the city. There is another KOA in Newburgh NY that is close but I never stayed there. If you drove to the city you would spend $50 a day to park. Just another opinon for you but if you press on and drive to Lido Beach you will promise yourself never to do it again.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Cherry Hill Park and loved it. Bus takes you right to and from the Metro easy access into DC. We stayed on site 401 which has a paver patio and a grass area framed by the the campground guard rail like your own yard. Nice walking trail and dog walk too.
We will definitely visit this one again!