RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgirl11 View Post
I was told to avoid Hwy 70 from Bryce to Moab. We are a retired group of Rv'ers in 70's so a little skittish of steep curvy hills. In post at top from Twogypsies 70 is mentioned. Is that portion steep and curvy? I personally want to take a scenic route but other two RV units were told avoid Highway 70. Thoughts please?

----------------

I'm totally confused - Who would Avoid I-70 and for what reason. Is there another 70 I'm missing?

Someone help me out - As I'm pretty sure I've wandered around this area Numerous times, driven All of the roads mentioned, and have no recollection of an Issue.

Is it Me, or did I miss something here?

Thanks,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #16

I70 from Richfield to 191 is not bad. First it is interstate highway. Yes between Richfield and exit 117(might be 116) for the Moore Road exit there are some hills and some curves but nothing overly steep, long or overly curvey at all (it is not the middle of Kansas or Nebraska but not bad). From Exit 117 you are up on the Swell and there are some hills but again nothing out of the ordinary at all. There are several very nice rest area/scenic pull offs, stop at all of them. First one is at Exit 117 or 116 Moore Road you have to exit the freeway go north to the frontage road and then go right which will take you right into the rest area. Get back on the freeway until the next one which I think is called Ghost Rock though it is not signed any way other than a scenic turnout. And there is at least one more on the eastern end of the Swell it is called Spotted Wolf Canyon Overlook or perhaps Black Dragon Canyon overlook. At this point you will start going down the eastern side of the San Rafael Swell and cutting through the San Rafael Reef. It is a fairly long downhill and it does have a few curves iirc the speed limit drops down from 80 to 65. It is still a nice wide interstate hwy just watch the speed and no issues. Once you have made it to the bottom of the hill the road flattens out for sure and you are beginning to enter the Green River Desert. You will soon come to HWY 24 which you can take south to Hanksville then east to Capitol Reef or if continuing on 70 you next hit HWY 6 north to Price and Salt Lake City. Once past that exit you will hit the town of Green River which has fuel, truck stops etc. After Green River the hwy is still running pretty flat across the Green River Desert in about 25 -30 miles you will see the HWY 191 exit at Crescent Junction head south on that and it will take you right into Moab after about 30 miles.

If you aren't willing to take 12 you only have two main options to get to Moab- up to I70 at a couple different places (89 or 72). However if 70 is not on the table you only have the following choices take 22 out of Bryce up to 62 over to 24 or 89 up to 62 to 24. The scenery is good if not great just not as good as some other routes. Hwy's 22, 62, 24 are all relatively flat with no crazy curves. As HWY 24 is going through Capitol Reef the road is a bit narrower but still fine and there are some curves and some hills but they are short lived as you are essentially following the Fremont River for the majority of the way through the park. The scenery through here is fantastic. Once on the east side of the park the road still has a few hills and curves but really starts to straighten and flatten out all the way to Hanksville. Scenery still great just different more stark. At Hanksville you have another choice to make go south on 95 to 191 and then north to Moab which is a longer route but incredibly beautiful. You pass by the north end of Lake Powell there is a fairly significant hill as you drop down off the high land down to the level of Lake Powell (there is a very nice scenic pulloff just as you start to go down the hill it is worth stopping for the look) at the bottom of the hill you hit the bridge over the Dirty Devil River then shortly thereafter the Colorado River and Hite. From there smooth sailing to 191 with the occasional hill and turn and you have the option of stopping at Natural Bridges National Monument. On past the NM 95 continues to 191 at just south of Blanding. Once headed north on 191 good road a few hills a few curves great scenery.

The other choice at Hanksville is to go north on 24 to I70 and Green River. Scenery is more hohum for sure but if you only knew what was right off the hwy out of sight. This way you have the option of hitting Goblin Valley State Park worth the side trip for me anyway. 24 up to 70 is uneventful then on 70 head east to 191/Crescent Junction to head down to Moab.

IMHO none of the routes including 12 is overly hilly or curvey but that is my opinion and my comfort level. Scenery will be good regardless of which route some routes just better than others. Do yourself a favor and make sure you are full of fuel when you leave Bryce once on 70 no services between Salina and Green River which is about 100 miles and the other routes the services are few and far between but they are there in Fremont, Loa, Torrey and Hanksville some are small some are not. Nothing between Hanksville and Blanding on 95.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
I70 from Richfield to 191 is not bad. First it is interstate highway. Yes between Richfield and exit 117(might be 116) for the Moore Road exit there are some hills and some curves but nothing overly steep, long or overly curvey at all (it is not the middle of Kansas or Nebraska but not bad). From Exit 117 you are up on the Swell and there are some hills but again nothing out of the ordinary at all. There are several very nice rest area/scenic pull offs, stop at all of them. First one is at Exit 117 or 116 Moore Road you have to exit the freeway go north to the frontage road and then go right which will take you right into the rest area. Get back on the freeway until the next one which I think is called Ghost Rock though it is not signed any way other than a scenic turnout. And there is at least one more on the eastern end of the Swell it is called Spotted Wolf Canyon Overlook or perhaps Black Dragon Canyon overlook. At this point you will start going down the eastern side of the San Rafael Swell and cutting through the San Rafael Reef. It is a fairly long downhill and it does have a few curves iirc the speed limit drops down from 80 to 65. It is still a nice wide interstate hwy just watch the speed and no issues. Once you have made it to the bottom of the hill the road flattens out for sure and you are beginning to enter the Green River Desert. You will soon come to HWY 24 which you can take south to Hanksville then east to Capitol Reef or if continuing on 70 you next hit HWY 6 north to Price and Salt Lake City. Once past that exit you will hit the town of Green River which has fuel, truck stops etc. After Green River the hwy is still running pretty flat across the Green River Desert in about 25 -30 miles you will see the HWY 191 exit at Crescent Junction head south on that and it will take you right into Moab after about 30 miles.

If you aren't willing to take 12 you only have two main options to get to Moab- up to I70 at a couple different places (89 or 72). However if 70 is not on the table you only have the following choices take 22 out of Bryce up to 62 over to 24 or 89 up to 62 to 24. The scenery is good if not great just not as good as some other routes. Hwy's 22, 62, 24 are all relatively flat with no crazy curves. As HWY 24 is going through Capitol Reef the road is a bit narrower but still fine and there are some curves and some hills but they are short lived as you are essentially following the Fremont River for the majority of the way through the park. The scenery through here is fantastic. Once on the east side of the park the road still has a few hills and curves but really starts to straighten and flatten out all the way to Hanksville. Scenery still great just different more stark. At Hanksville you have another choice to make go south on 95 to 191 and then north to Moab which is a longer route but incredibly beautiful. You pass by the north end of Lake Powell there is a fairly significant hill as you drop down off the high land down to the level of Lake Powell (there is a very nice scenic pulloff just as you start to go down the hill it is worth stopping for the look) at the bottom of the hill you hit the bridge over the Dirty Devil River then shortly thereafter the Colorado River and Hite. From there smooth sailing to 191 with the occasional hill and turn and you have the option of stopping at Natural Bridges National Monument. On past the NM 95 continues to 191 at just south of Blanding. Once headed north on 191 good road a few hills a few curves great scenery.

The other choice at Hanksville is to go north on 24 to I70 and Green River. Scenery is more hohum for sure but if you only knew what was right off the hwy out of sight. This way you have the option of hitting Goblin Valley State Park worth the side trip for me anyway. 24 up to 70 is uneventful then on 70 head east to 191/Crescent Junction to head down to Moab.

IMHO none of the routes including 12 is overly hilly or curvey but that is my opinion and my comfort level. Scenery will be good regardless of which route some routes just better than others. Do yourself a favor and make sure you are full of fuel when you leave Bryce once on 70 no services between Salina and Green River which is about 100 miles and the other routes the services are few and far between but they are there in Fremont, Loa, Torrey and Hanksville some are small some are not. Nothing between Hanksville and Blanding on 95.
Thanks, for the Detailed review - You are Correct - "Dorothy, we are not in Kansas anymore " we are in Utah - Beautiful and Full of Eye Candy.

I was afraid that there was some New Danger out there - Part of the issue is I live to drive in/on the most beautiful and Often Challenging roads in all the states, and I thought maybe I missed something - The only way I found RT 12 and RT 128 was by seeing roads that Might Just Be FUN.

Thanks for the Enlightenment - I was afraid I had "Missed" something - something Like - Ogden Canyon Road - RT 39 - Beautiful anytime of the Year but an Adventure if in the Winter during a Snow storm -

Thanks for the detailed explanation -
Old 02-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #18

Rare Double Post
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #19

I agree with two gypsies. We stayed at Ruby's, on to Capitol Reef and then to Moab. Beautiful country, pulled a Mini Cooper behind our Tiffin Open Road Gasser, no problems with the mountains with our setup. I wanted to leave Bryce and take the easterly route and then north to Moab but the wife would not go along with it. I am sure that route is more scenic.
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #20

The 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers" gives I-70 this description between Salina to Green River, Utah. I won't quote the whole thing but basically it's:

26 mi. east of Salina MP80.5 Eastbound descent 3.5 mi at 5%; 3 & 4% for 4 miles.

MP94 eastbound: several short sections of 6% descending into a valley.

MP136 Eastbound: 6% for 6 miles with two runaway truck ramps

It's an interstate and millions of vehicles of all kinds drive it. It's nothing to be avoided. Get in the right lane and follow the semi trucks. They will be going slow. It'll be over before you realize it!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national