Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 AM   #1

Trip from Richmond, VA to Boston

Hey everyone! New to this group but I've loved looking at past posts that folks have made. I've learned a lot.

My family and I are looking at taking a road trip April 4th, 2020 through April 11th, 2020 from Richmond, VA to the New England area. We would most likely stop halfway maybe around Philly as I don't think I can drive the whole way. When in New England we wanted to visit Boston, cape cod, and maybe drive to Kennebunkport. The question I have is should we drive all the way up 95 or take 81? We will leave very early on the 4th so I don't think DC would be an issue. However, I'm not looking forward to driving in NYC the next day. It would be great to get around that.

Also, what are some good campgrounds in the New England area for a family of 4 and a dog? Any must-see attractions?

I'm pulling a 30' Travel Trailer so not too big.

Any other helpful hints would be great!

Thanks so much!!!
Roo4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Not being from that area I can't help but wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I-81 to bypass NYC is a no brainer...except some stretches are a little rough with poor pavement. Campgrounds in New England close down for the season early, so make sure you make positive reservations. There is a KOA in Mystic CT that is open year round. Overnighting at Walmart or other businesses is not allowed by local ordinances.

Search this forum for other mentions of New England as this topic has been explored in various ways in the past months as folks planned foliage trips, etc.

There are campgrounds in NJ along the Turnpike close to where you would exit to bypass NYC that are a very reasonable distance from Richmond. I've stayed around there when departing from the Fredericksburg area. On my last trip, I hit NJ at such a reasonable hour that I drove straight through from Providence RI.

Have some 'chowda' for me when you get there!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #4

Thank you so much!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
I would NOT go thru DC and certainly NOT New York City. _I-81 is not the best road in the nation but the traffic so much better than the other two places.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I travel that corridor several time a year and the trick to I-95 is timing. If you get to DC at rush hour, be patient as it is a parking lot. Mid day and you can usually run right through it. Cross in NJ and stay on I-95 until you get to the Garden State Parkway. When you cross into NY I-287 north that will avoid the NYC traffic. Then take the Mass Tpk. It's a tad long but traffic is bearable.

I-95 thru NYC is hideous. Bad roads and very heavy traffic.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:13 AM   #7

Thanks TonyDi. I would agree on timing. I've drove through DC many times and if your hit it right it's not bad. It was NYC I was worried about. Sounds like you're given me a great option! Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo4216 View Post
Hey everyone! New to this group but I've loved looking at past posts that folks have made. I've learned a lot.

My family and I are looking at taking a road trip April 4th, 2020 through April 11th, 2020 from Richmond, VA to the New England area. We would most likely stop halfway maybe around Philly as I don't think I can drive the whole way. When in New England we wanted to visit Boston, cape cod, and maybe drive to Kennebunkport. The question I have is should we drive all the way up 95 or take 81? We will leave very early on the 4th so I don't think DC would be an issue. However, I'm not looking forward to driving in NYC the next day. It would be great to get around that.

Also, what are some good campgrounds in the New England area for a family of 4 and a dog? Any must-see attractions?

I'm pulling a 30' Travel Trailer so not too big.

Any other helpful hints would be great!

Thanks so much!!!
Hello - heading south from Boston area next month. Planning to avoid RT 95 travel until South Carolina; the MA to VA routing:

90 (Mass Pike) => 84 => 287 => 78 (Mountainview CG) Milford, NJ 324 miles
78 => 81 (Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley) 289 Miles

For campgrounds and what you are interested in seeing, I'd suggest a look at Wampatuck State Park in Hingham, MA. It's only a 26 mile drive to Plymouth, MA (celebrating 400th anniversary of Pilgrim Landing in 2020) and from Plymouth yu can actually take a day ferry to Provincetown, MA (Tip of Cape Cod) or continue driving from Plymouth towards Cape Cod. Wampatuck is also a short car ride to the Hingham Ferry into Boston - great way to get into Boston while avoiding insane traffic.
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Hi Roo4216 - found out that Wampatuck doesn't open until early May. I've heard good things about Normandy Farms CG in Attleboro - about 30 miles south of Boston.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

Thanks Rosebud.

For campgrounds we were thinking of the KOA or Boston Minuteman Campground. As for campgrounds I would like full hookups as having two kids the grays takes gets filled up pretty quickly.

The main thing is we wanted to see Cape Cod, Plymouth, downtown Boston, maybe catch a Redsox game. Maybe going to martha's vineyard.

How far of a drive is to from the Boston area to Kennebunkport?

Thanks for the route and the ferry info. I think that might work really well.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed at Boston Minuteman last year. It is really tight getting in and out. If you are comfortable backing up and maneuvering, you will be ok with your 30 footer, just be careful and be sure to have a few leveling blocks.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 09-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #12

Thanks Chuck. Really good to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
We stayed at Boston Minuteman last year. It is really tight getting in and out. If you are comfortable backing up and maneuvering, you will be ok with your 30 footer, just be careful and be sure to have a few leveling blocks.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo4216 View Post
Thanks Rosebud.

For campgrounds we were thinking of the KOA or Boston Minuteman Campground. As for campgrounds I would like full hookups as having two kids the grays takes gets filled up pretty quickly.

The main thing is we wanted to see Cape Cod, Plymouth, downtown Boston, maybe catch a Redsox game. Maybe going to martha's vineyard.

How far of a drive is to from the Boston area to Kennebunkport?

Thanks for the route and the ferry info. I think that might work really well.
Hello -
Kennebunkport is about 90 miles north of Boston, but given the length of your trip and interests in Boston, Cape, & the Islands you'll have lots to squeeze into the time available.

I was looking on trip wizard and noted that the "Cape Cod KOA," is in Middleboro, close to, but not on the Cape would, similar to Normandy Farms give you proximity to Plymouth, Cape Cod (including the ferries from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket), and Boston. The commuter rail can take you into Boston and has, I believe, stops in Middleboro and near Normandy Farms (close to NE Patriots/Foxboro Stadium).
Red Sox home opener is April 2nd and the Boston Bruins close their season against Carolina on 4/4.

Enjoy your planning and your trip - and let me know if you have any other questions about the area that I might be able to answer.

BTW - we're spending two days in Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA, and if you have thoughts/suggestions about the area - I'd be grateful.

Dan
Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1218 View Post
Hello -
Kennebunkport is about 90 miles north of Boston, but given the length of your trip and interests in Boston, Cape, & the Islands you'll have lots to squeeze into the time available.

I was looking on trip wizard and noted that the "Cape Cod KOA," is in Middleboro, close to, but not on the Cape would, similar to Normandy Farms give you proximity to Plymouth, Cape Cod (including the ferries from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket), and Boston. The commuter rail can take you into Boston and has, I believe, stops in Middleboro and near Normandy Farms (close to NE Patriots/Foxboro Stadium).
Red Sox home opener is April 2nd and the Boston Bruins close their season against Carolina on 4/4.

Enjoy your planning and your trip - and let me know if you have any other questions about the area that I might be able to answer.

BTW - we're spending two days in Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA, and if you have thoughts/suggestions about the area - I'd be grateful.

Dan
Thanks, Dan! Question, what is the trip wizard? Is this part of iRV2? As for Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA, you can go to Luray Caverns or Grand Caverns, or Endless Caverns. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

It's about 40mins away and I recommend reservations but if you like horseback I highly recommend Fort Valley Ranch. They are really nice and it's a wonderful ride through the mountain.

There is also Virginia Museum of the Civil War in New Market. There is also a resort called Massanutten that has a lot to do!