Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trip of a Lifetime in 6 Days

DW and I will set out on a big journey next Saturday. We will leave Iowa to go to Billings MT to see a niece in her 20's I have never got to meet and then on up to Glacier National Park. As we have been out in Washington state a few times already so we are trying to take unfamiliar roads back out there to see family we haven't seen for a while. Probably take White Pass over the mountains through Randle WA to see where the DW and I were married more than 43 years ago. A big thanks to Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia WA for allowing us to use their campground to stay while out west and I might have a few mods installed on the MH while there. In just under a month we will fly out of Seattle to start a 15 day land and cruise tour of Alaska. On our return we plan to leave Centralia to hug the coast of Oregon and into California to see the Redwoods. Just south of there we plan to work our way to Coloma CA to visit the Donnor memorial site. We will leave Coloma to go to Death Vally National Park and from there Vegas, Phoenix and on to our winter home in Mission TX. Whew! I know of many sights to see on this big trip but I am curious if anyone has any 'must see' places we might want to stop at.

Alan Wilson

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #2

A good tip, use the 3-3-300 plan. That's drive 300 miles a day, or stop by 3:00 pm, and stay for 3 days. This trip will be awesome, so just take your time. Enjoy the trip, don't make it a chore. Then just plan the "next stop", a day or 2 ahead. There are a lot of things to see and do out there. If something trips your trigger, just go for it. Anything that you consider a "must see", then make that reservation. Most of all HAVE FUN...

Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Anything you need while at brazels just let me know. We are very close, towards grays harbor.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Tom3205, I plan on it! I have been planning this since January a little at a time. Thanks for the plan. That is a new one on me but sounds like good advice.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38 PDQ
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure you take your passports with you and go into Waterton while at Glacier. We used the toad to do the Going to the Sun Road and stopped many times for photo shot's. Watch what you leave outside while there as the Bears will come! Bring your hiking shoes and your Flyrod! If you have the time go on into Canada and see Banff and Jasper then on to Oknaogan, BC area. Great Bing Cherries. Then you can drop back into Washington State from there.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

I see the Donner Memorial site has picnic sites...............
Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Make sure you take your passports with you and go into Waterton while at Glacier. We used the toad to do the Going to the Sun Road and stopped many times for photo shot's. Watch what you leave outside while there as the Bears will come! Bring your hiking shoes and your Flyrod! If you have the time go on into Canada and see Banff and Jasper then on to Oknaogan, BC area. Great Bing Cherries. Then you can drop back into Washington State from there.

Luckiest dreamer, we have the passports already packed and are working on getting the HR ready for the road. I wish I had the time to make the steering gear swap from Sheppard to TRw before we leave on such a long trip but it just isn't meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
I see the Donner Memorial site has picnic sites...............

NorthernDriv, that is almost funny! ;-)

Alan Wilson
Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
On your way to Glacier, catch Devil's Tower. There is a nice walk path around the base of the tower, an educational exhibit, and a nearby campground ( KOA) .
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Anything you need while at brazels just let me know. We are very close, towards grays harbor.

I will do that! As they are family and all my mothers family lives there we will be there a while. Thanks for the offer!
Alan

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38 PDQ
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
On your way to Glacier, catch Devil's Tower. There is a nice walk path around the base of the tower, an educational exhibit, and a nearby campground ( KOA) .
Bob

Devils Tower is pretty cool. We kept waiting to have a Close Encounter.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #11

Alan, after reading your trip i saw something odd when you stated you were visiting the Donner Memorial in Coloma. Sutters Mill is in Coloma, whereas the Donner Memorial is in Truckee @ Donner Lake. Didn't want you to be dissapointed when there was no memorial in Coloma!
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #12

Actually we had planned to go to Truckee but my wife read an article in the motorhome magazine about Coloma campground there so we decided to just lay over there for a few days and then take a car trip up to Truckee. Good eyes!

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38 PDQ
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When at Glacier consider taking the Grinnell glacier hike. Check at the welcome center for details. The trail head is on the east side of the NP. It is 5 1/2 miles to the glacier. Pack a lunch and take plenty of water. Much of the hike is above the tree line. This is something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Iceberg lake is another hike to be considered.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #14

Trip of a Lifetime in 6 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
When at Glacier consider taking the Grinnell glacier hike. Check at the welcome center for details. The trail head is on the east side of the NP. It is 5 1/2 miles to the glacier. Pack a lunch and take plenty of water. Much of the hike is above the tree line. This is something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Iceberg lake is another hike to be considered.

That sounds totally awesome! Thanks! We will try it but as we both have asthma kind of bad it may not work but we are always willing to try cause sometimes it isn't a problem. I got a backpack so we will for sure try it!

Alan Wilson