Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was working full time and on a vacation schedule when we got our Bounder on the Ford chassis. However by then we had no kids to contend with..just us two and the cats. I think you'll find it a bit easier to go longer miles in the motorhome due to the ease of pit stops and nature breaks. Its very easy to pull over in a rest area or store parking lot, run to the bathroom, grab a cup of water or soda & snack, and get going again. When I was much younger i really enjoyed (for some strange reason) driving at night. Several early trips we would make a couple of very long days with stop overs in rest areas or Walmart, followed by a much shorter day with a stop in a campground.

Our routine when heading to the Keys from the Charlotte NC area then was to leave after work on Friday evening around 5 or 6 PM.. get to Brunswick GA Walmart by midnight, and be on the road again next morning. We considered that a "head start" in getting our vacation going. Once we went from Charlotte to Homestead in 1 day! 14 hours = very long day even when young!

Now with much less of a schedule issue, we like to go max of 6-8 hours, ideally 4 - 6 and spend each night in a campground. We routinely take 2 or 3 days to go 850 miles from Carolina to the Florida Keys. On other trips I still try to go 2 days that may be a bit longer and the 3rd day shorter. It just helps break up the driving a bit.

As mentioned earlier, everyone has different preferences. Just do what you have fun doing!

Chuck & Pam (the people) - Bobbie & Nikki (the cats)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ & Chevy Tracker ZR-2
NJ4B F261484 (ex: NCBounder)
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #16
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is good to know. I have a bumper tow 31 ft now and have done 600 but like to keep it around 300-400. Some day I would like to move up to a MH. BTW, I get 12-13MPG with the diesel at 60-65mph.

2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #17
FWIW it all depends on what your goal is. My BIL does here to Fl in one overnight to see his son. We are looking at 4 days down and 6-8 days back for the same trip because we will take more side roads, hit a bunch of specialty shopping, see some sights and enjoy the trip. Is your goal the destination or the trip? Before we all retired we also kept most of our trips to 8 hours or less. That is a pretty fair driving circle with a lot to see and do. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #18

I think it's more a question of driving conditions. If I get on a nice Interstate without traffic I will drive 400-500 miles no problem. You're relaxed and it's like being on cruise control. If you are in bumper to bumper traffic it can get tense and the distance will shorten down. Weather also comes into play, nice day vrs. rain, fog etc.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Originally Posted by OldDoggy View Post
We get up around day break, put the coffee on, enjoy the beautiful sunrise. Have breakfast, do the mourning S,S,S, then put camp away and get on the road again. After 5 or 6 hours (about 250 miles) of on the road we find our next parking spot, ussually a nice RV park that I found through the Good Sam trip plannner online the night before. Most times I will call them to make a reservation from 2 hours out, that way if they are full or not open we have time to do a plan 'B'. This schedule puts us at a park in the daylight with time to set up, have dinner, then go sight seeing before dark. Happy Trails, and take the time to enjoy your new RV.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
Thanks for tipping me off to the Good Sam Planner. What a great tool. I just used it to create a plan for our upcoming trip to the Pacific Northwest. Wish I had discovered it sooner.
Occupant5143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
We have not changed our travel much from the 5er to the MH. We try to get away promptly in the morning and travel steadily. About 3 pm we start looking for a place to stay if we have not selected the destination before we left.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote