Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #1

Trip planning basics

What is the best resource to plan a trip from CA to MA?
meyeram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #2

Welcome to irv2 forum. You will find many topics here that are discussed on a daily basis.
In response to your question about trip planning resourse I don't think you can use just one resourse. Most of us use a combination of resourse data to plan our trips in the RV. Here is a partial list of those type of resourses:
Google Map, Good Sam Trip Planning, RV Park Reviews, Passport America Trip Planner, RV Trip Wizard.
There are several other resourses available to you. My best advise would be to look at Google Map first to plan out the route you want to use then consult some of the other resourses to put your trip together. I personally like RV Trip Wizard as it will select the route for you, list campgrounds along that route and give you the distance traveled. It is set up to be customized to fit your individual needs. I am sure you will get many other responses from other RVer's with their suggestions on trip planning. I hope that I have at least got you started in the right direction. Happy Camping!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great advice from "hdrich".

Initially, ask yourself how many miles per day do you like to drive?

Google maps, Map Quest, are good places to start.

When I plan and figure out where we will "stop", I head to the RV Park Reviews web site. An excellent place to search for a camp site. I will also check KOA.com for an idea of campsites if nothing trips my trigger on campgroundreviews.com

When I plan a trip, I like to do most of it myself such as planning how many miles I want to drive in a day, seeing where it puts me on the map, then reviewing RV Park reviews for the town/area of my destination and search for local attractions.

If you use an Apple product, get on the "App Store" and search for: RV Trip Planning and RV Camping......many apps are free!

Works for me and planning is half the fun....

Good luck - enjoy!!

g
Old 12-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyeram1 View Post
What is the best resource to plan a trip from CA to MA?
We belong to AAA auto club. Start with a going route and a return route. We get the tour books for all the states we will go through. The books have "Gems" which are the high points of the things to see. We try to alter our main route to stop and see as many "Gems" as we can.

If I were you I'd start (depending on the time of year) with I-40 and return on I-80 dropping down though Colorado and southern Utah.

It all depends on the amount of time and money you have. Warning: Seeing this great country is highly addictive and you may not make it home.

Safe travels.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

If this is to be a extended vacation rather than a quick trip to get there, get yourself a good road atlas (yes, a paper version) and browse through each state you want to explore. Highlight areas or things you want to see then make your route. Remember, secondary roads are good for RV travels not just the interstates. You'll see more of this great country that way!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #6

You can also go to Google as a search engine and put in attractions or camping and get a map populated with those things. You have to sort out the various places on your own. Google Maps satellite view and street views also help.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi meyeram1,

Assuming this is a lengthy trip and not a RV version of NASCAR, my order of planning tasks is:
1. What do I want to do along the way?
2. Determine the CG in the area of what #1 results are.
3. Determine the route to travel.

Everyone is different on the route they like to use and the places they like to stay. For me, the coach travels only Interstate highways and the toad is used for local touring. Also, I stay in the best CG in the area where the #1 is located.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #8

Take a look at RVparky on your computer or put the app in your phone. Works good with any planner
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard