Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Trip Report: California and Oregon

Hello,

This Saturday (June 18th), we will be heading out of Riverside, CA headed North. We will return home on (July 4th) with a total of 16 days camping. We have planned stops in Bishop, CA, Chester, CA, Chiloquin, OR, La Pine, OR, Winchester Bay, OR, Crescent City, CA and someplace outside San Francisco that we haven't decided on yet. I've gained a lot of experience from this forum from topics and trip reports that I hope I can pay it forward. I plan on updating daily before going to bed with campground reviews, fishing reports, adventures, photos and much more.

We have 3 parties total in our group. My mother and father and 3 dogs will be in their Monoco Knight diesel pusher pulling a 24ft enclosed trailer that has their Polaris RZR and my dirt bike ( the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area is in Winchester Bay, OR).

My sister and brother have 2 kids (7 and 5 I think) in a Chevrolet Express Van pulling a Weekend Warrior toy hauler.

My wife, 3 kids (12,11 and 2) and I will be in our Dodge Ram 3500 pulling a 8526RLWS Forest River 5th wheel.

Here is a picture of all of us at Cinder Hills OHV area in Arizona last year. I have a different truck and trailer since this photo was taken. I'll add one of my new setup too.

Please feel free to ask questions or give advice on must sees along the way.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	130276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	546.6 KB
ID:	130277  

Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

I just got back from the Oregon Dunes, but the south ones in Hauser. Bigger and nicer than Winchester, just fewer steep climbs. You could stay at the KOA or dry camp at several places. Just food for thought.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I just got back from the Oregon Dunes, but the south ones in Hauser. Bigger and nicer than Winchester, just fewer steep climbs. You could stay at the KOA or dry camp at several places. Just food for thought.
We were there a few years ago too. Didn't have the toys to ride but it looked nice. We plan on going up and down the coast to the different dune stops. I grew up going to Glamis in So Cal but love the Oregon dunes. Different kind of riding.

Andrew
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #4

Yup.....go to Glamis once a year to meet up with our forum group. Once a year is enuff for me!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

If you are looking for a great little spot north of San Francisco, I can suggest Olema, they have a nice little campground and Pointe Reyes to explore.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

Olema is really really nice, but I gonna guess if you don't have reservations already, fagetaboutit!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
If you are looking for a great little spot north of San Francisco, I can suggest Olema, they have a nice little campground and Pointe Reyes to explore.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to reserve on internet and didn't show any spots available. It's after 5, so I'll call them in the morning. See if they have any cancellation spots I can fill.

Andrew
Old 06-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #8

Day 1:

Total Miles: 270 miles
Total Time: 5 Hours 15 minutes

My alarm went off at 3:45 this morning with plans to meet the rest of our group at Yum Yum donuts and get on the road about 5am. We tend to travel early in the mornings with hopes that the kids will sleep in the car before they start the whole "are we there yet?, why do miles take forever? And Eli won't stop looking at me.".

Here is a picture of us waiting for the rest of the group at the donut shop:

Getting to Bishop is pretty straight forward from Riverside. The 15 to the 395. Highways I've traveled countless numbers of times so I don't mind missing some scenery while it's still dark out.

After stopping for some breakfast at McDonalds in Lone Pine, we arrived in Bishop at about 11:15am. I called about 3 weeks ago and got these reservations at Browns Town Campground. They don't do email confirmations so we arrived today and found out they had the number of days wrong. It took some sorting out but they ended up helping us out so we don't have to move while we are here.

Us registering at Browns Town Campground:

It's a typical private campground. Mostly dirt sites with grass in between. The sites are pretty wide and trees provide plenty of shade. 30 amp and water for $30. No sewer but they have a dump on the way out. They didn't have any spots long enough for my dad. He's 65 ft pulling the trailer so we had to unhook and put the trailer in a different spot for $2 a night. We will run into this problem with him the whole trip.

Here is our campsite for 2 days:

It was pretty hot in the town so we headed up the hill to a lake called South Lake. It's about 8,000 ft elevation and it dropped 30 degrees as we climbed. Went from 91 in town to 61 at the lake. It was freezing and the wind was blowing hard but we managed to catch one fish. We usually try to catch and release but couldn't save this guy.

Tomorrow we plan on waking up early and getting some fishing in at Lake Sabrina and maybe South Lake again.

Here are some pictures of the views at South Lake.

Andrew
Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

Day 2:

Total Miles: 0

We woke up and left camp around 7am to go up the hill and fish. We started out at a place called Intake 2. It's a small lake that has a dam that generates power. After about 2 hours without a bite, we headed farther up the hill to Lake Sabrina. The wind was blowing like crazy but we managed to catch this good size trout and the people next to us gave us another one.

Got back to camp and the wife wanted to take us out to lunch for Father's day. Found a place called Schat's Roadhouse. It was pretty good. There is a place in town called Mahogany Meats. It has some of the best bacon I've ever tasted so we stopped off and picked a few pounds up. Also some wild boar jerky. Good stuff.

It's been terribly hot here. 90s yesterday and got up to 99 today. Tomorrow we head north to Lake Almanor for some better weather.

A few pictures of our day.

Andrew
Old 06-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #10

FYI,
Silver Lake on the June Lake loop off 395 has a nice full hookup rv sites and great fishing, hiking. Remember it is bear country though.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #11

Day 3:

Bishop, CA to Chester, CA (Lake Almanor)

Total Miles: 352
Total Time: 10 Hours

We knew that today would be our longest mileage day besides our last so we woke up around 6:30 to break down camp. Everybody was packed up and ready to go about 7:30. Found out the campground dump was out of order but no worries. There was a shell up the street we could use. I thought $12 was a little expensive but it needed to be done.

We found a place called Bodie State Park. It is an old ghost town and most the buildings are still in decent shape. It was about 10 miles off Highway 395 and then 3 miles of dirt road. The dirt road was rough in certain spots but my dually and 5th wheel made it fine. It's* $8 per adult and* $5 per kid. Here are a few pictures from Bodie. You can buy a map/brochure that guides you through the town. Over 50 different buildings. We weren't able to visit them all.

After lunch in the parking lot at Bodie, we headed up the 395 to Gardnerville. This stretch of highway is beautiful running next to the river and surrounded by trees. Here are some pictures of the drive.*

We stopped at Walmart for fuel and some things.

After Walmart is was a straight shot to our campground for the night. We arrived at about 630 so I was a little worried about light. I absolutely avoid getting to campgrounds at night. Especially unfamiliar campgrounds. But, we made it with enough time to set up and go for a little walk. This is a nice private campground. Lots of trees and it's right up against Lake Almanor. Regular RV sites are $50 a night and you can get beachfront RV sites for I think $75. 30 amp with water but no sewer at site. They have one on the way out. Hopefully it isn't clogged tomorrow. Here are some pictures of our site at Northshore RV Park.

Tomorrow we are getting in to Oregon and staying at Collier State Park.

Andrew
Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #12

I envy you. I'm dyin' to go see Bodie, and I'm fairly close.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I envy you. I'm dyin' to go see Bodie, and I'm fairly close.
It was a really cool place. I'd would have loved to spend more time there and took some of the tours they offer.

Andrew
Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #14

Day 4:

Total Miles: I forgot to grab my notebook out of the truck.

Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes

Today was a pretty easy day. We didn't have to get out of camp early so we hung around a bit. Had our cup of coffee,* took the kids to the playground and went for a walk. We packed up camp and left around 11am. We took the 36 back to Susanville and 139 in to Oregon. It was a scenic drive with lots of hills. The only downfall was the construction zones and the 20 minute wait at flaggers.

A picture while we wait:

On the 139:

Arrived at our camp for the night at Collier Memorial State Park Campground. Paved sites with full hook ups for $26 a night. The private campgrounds in this area were $40+ a night. Can't beat it. All sites come with fire ring and picnic table. By far the best campground on the trip so far.

Our* site:

We cooked up some Carne asada,

Strolled around the campground for a bit so the kids could blow off some energy, got our showers and off to bed we go. Tomorrow is another travel day.

Good night from Chiloquin, OR

Andrew

Sorry for the lack of photos today. Just didn't see anything interesting.

Tags
california