Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #1

Trip to Alaska

My wife and I are planing a trip to Alaska from the Southeast U.S., along with several friends. We would love to know the pros and cons of making a trip of this length.

Thanks you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Why wouldn't you do it if you had the means and the desire? If it something that you really want to do, and you have a vehicle that is properly maintained and capable as well as the money to make the trip then plan the trip and go for it. Realize that out west as well as on the way to Alaska filling stations will be fewer and far between but you can verify the fueling points along the trip using google maps, etc. You can also scope out the camping sites along the way. Also, pay attention to the weather and know what to expect in terms of temperatures and conditions for when you are planning to make the trip.

I just recently made a cross country trip in 6 days, with a few sight seeing side trips. It went great but driving out west is much different than driving in the east. Generally less traffic and wide open spaces that provide for great views but sometimes gas stations are > 100 miles. My advice would be to take your time and enjoy the trip. You will have a blast.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
DO IT..... Trip of a lifetime...

The only con I can think of, we didn't have enough time. Read about our trip. We did it in a 21 ft Micro-Mini Class C (Toyota Dolphin).

Alaska | Alaska Trip Log

Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble T View Post
My wife and I are planing a trip to Alaska from the Southeast U.S., along with several friends. We would love to know the pros and cons of making a trip of this length.

Thanks you.
I don't know, I'd think twice about this.
You are going to run into rain, snow topped mountains, bears, moose, bald eagles, beer, mud, friendly people, huge cimamon buns, midnight sun, beer, blue skies, wilderness, did I mention beer, fishing, bears fishing, just to name a few.

You should think long and hard about this.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #5

There are many prior threads about going to AK here in irv2.com. You will probably learn nearly everything you want to know from those older threads.
We went to AK with the S.M.A.R.T. (military, past and present) in 2012. Two RV's were from FL, one from SC. We all met at Dick's RV park in Billings, MT., and began our trip from there. FWIW, SMART is the only non-profit RVing organization I know of, which makes the price of their caravans much less money (about 2/3) than for-profit organizations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Go!!!

My wife and I did it a few years ago by ourselves with an older diesel powered 11.5' TC. We spent a little more than 1.5 months and had planned to stay longer, but my wife thought she was having medical problems so we came home early. It was a false alarm. I had planned to come back down through the parks in the Canadian Rockies so we missed that. Even so it was a wonderful trip.

About a week of our trip was spent on and off the ferry between Prince Rupert, BC and Skagway, AK. The rest was spent driving about in AK, UT, and BC.

Enjoy yours!!

Steve
Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
we are making that trip, starting in early June and returning home in early October. Lots of stops going and coming. It has been a long time coming. I have gone over the MH from front to back. I think i covered everything. you will have a great time. Might see you on the road.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

I cannot think of any cons to making the trip to Alaska. It is a beautiful state, and the trip up there is also beautiful. My wife and I have made that trip in different motorhomes a total of 7 times, and are even thinking of traveling it again (and we are both 80 years old!!!!)

You can see from my profile that we currently live in Florida. We have made the trip from here 3 times.

So---- I say, go for it!!

Ed Headington
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've done it 2X in the past 4 years. Once on a truck camper and once in our 31 foot moho pulling a toad ---each time from Georgia. Both trips were fantastic , memorable and not that hard. The roads are relatively decent, but there are some miles of rough road where there is construction activity up in the Yukon, Alaska.

I can't think of a lot or reasons not to do it -- maybe if one had health issues or equipment that was in need of attention, but there are plenty of reasons to do it. It takes a bit of planning but its quite an awesome experience.

The absolute requirement for a successful trip is to acquire and absorb the most recent "Milepost" manual about the Alaska highway. It covers everything you' see, need and do for each mile along the entire trip. Then sit down and plan. We moved pretty quickly and wish we had more time. We took 21 days getting to Anchorage from west of Atlanta . I wish we had moved even slower.

On the way back we had to peddle pretty fast due to a daughter who was soon to deliver a new grandchild back here in the south east, so we made it back home in 14 days. That was very exhausting.

The hard part to fathom is that once you get to Calgary from these parts your about 1/2 way there from the southeast. Its a bit mind boggling. But the memories make it all worth it!! Will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
GreyGoose- so the rumors are true that there are really places where gas stations are closer than 100 miles apart??? I guess that means you don't have to plan as much. A western traveler.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We went last summer and loved it so much we are going back again this summer.

By the way the book mentioned by Americanrascal is the Milepost. You can find it on Amazon and most book stores or AAA.
RockyMtnRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post

By the way the book mentioned by Americanrascal is the Milepost. You can find it on Amazon and most book stores or AAA.
Sorry about that and thanks for the correction. I had one of those senior moments!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #13

Be Careful! We took the trip in 2006. Trip of a lifetime---never go again. Then we went back in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and yeah, we leave the end of the week---AGAIN!

As I said, BE CAREFUL. It's addicting.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There are many prior threads about going to AK here in irv2.com. You will probably learn nearly everything you want to know from those older threads.
We went to AK with the S.M.A.R.T. (military, past and present) in 2012. Two RV's were from FL, one from SC. We all met at Dick's RV park in Billings, MT., and began our trip from there. FWIW, SMART is the only non-profit RVing organization I know of, which makes the price of their caravans much less money (about 2/3) than for-profit organizations.

Dick's RV is in Great Falls, MT. Good people that own the park. No cable tv. They do host a lot of caravans, so booking ahead is important.