Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

You don't want to miss the Sourdough pankakes near Sourdough AK on the Richardson. Also on the Richardson. Near Summit Lake is a State of AK campground called Fielding Lake. Long bumpy drive back but worth it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #16

I actually ate in the original cabin back in the early 80's

Old 04-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #17

Our family is heading to Alaska June of 2015. The milepost was a big help in the planning. Also got the toursaver book. Looking to use a lot of the BOGOs in it. Have a blog for the trip. Feel free to visit and leave some tips. Gulliver's Alaska/Canada Adventure
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #18

My suggestion for traveling Alaska and the Canadian Provinces is both the Milepost (which campgrounds pay to have their campgrounds in the book) AND Mike and Terri Church's Travelers Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaska and Yukon Camping With RV or Tent, which can be purchased on Amazon. They made the trip and their assessments were spot on in reference to campgrounds throughout our trip.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #19

I'll jump in here and add that if you can go up the Alaskan Hiway, and come back on the Cassier Hwy. with a stop at Stewart/Hyder. Usually by the time you come back the Salmon are running, and you can watch the bears from the safety of a boardwalk. Also plan on a drive in the towed from Hyder up to Salmon Glacier. It may be the only place you can drive high above a glacier. It's pretty awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wow!!.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	91879  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
As others said I would not use a tour company. You will find things that appeal more to you than others, our favorite spots were Denali and the kenail Penanusla with the Homer Spit in particular. We had no attraction to Anchorage or Fairbanks, we went to enjoy the wilderness. Take your time and drive no faster than the road wants you too and you will be fine. Some of the dirt roads we were only doing 10-15mph but we also had no failures of any kind. It's a beautiful trip. If you use the Cassiar highway at Jade city they let you camp for free. The Cassiar is a LONG 400+miles of pretty much nothing but wilderness and the occasional gas station. We went in 2013 and I think there were only 3 gas stations open. When they say fuel when you come across a station is the best advice you can ever use. enjoy and make sure you stop at the Sign Forrest along the way.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
We are considering using a tour company when we go to Alaska in 2016 and I have only found information on these two companies: ALASKAN DISCOVERY RV TOURS & FANTACY RV TOURS. Are there any other companies that I should consider? I don't need the pros and cons of going solo vs. using a tour company as I am well aware of the advantages of both.

Thanks,
Gary
If you are a veteran, SMART offers carvans at about a third of the price. You can join SMART just to go on the caravan. www.smartrving.net
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
If you are a veteran, SMART offers carvans at about a third of the price. You can join SMART just to go on the caravan. www.smartrving.net
Thanks. They are on my list.
gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This may have been asked and answered on another thread and if so sorry for the post.

Is there any problem with the availability of DEF in Canadian Provinces or in Alaska? Some where along the way I will need some. Most likely it would be in Alaska but I am curious about its availability in the Western Provinces of Canada.
gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Def is available at most fuel stations in alaska. Not sure about Canada. It will be a long time before I get a rig that needs it. I love my non emissions 2003 duramax.

Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote