Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Question Trip to California

We're traveling from CO through Utah to southern CA soon and are looking for some recommended RV parks/campgrounds to stay at. We'll be staying around Ventura, Malibu, Pismo beach areas and are driving a 32' Class A motorhome, towing a car. We're looking for a nice place to spend maybe a week, has pull-thru sites, pet friendly and a reasonable price (without all the add'l charges).

We'll be driving down 89 off I-70 going in to Kanab into Utah initially. If anyone has any feedback regarding this route, places to see or stay would be great.

Looking forward to hearing back from the experienced ones - -

tgenardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
I can recommend Mountain View RV Park in Santa Paula, Ca. The sites are a little close but it's a nice full hook up, owners are friendly & Santa Paula is a sweet little town just east of Ventura. Steckle Park & Foster Park are county parks that have full hook up too. We'll be there in June-July! My kids live out there so we'll be visiting!!

NY Farleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Originally Posted by tgenardi View Post
We'll be driving down 89 off I-70 going in to Kanab into Utah initially. If anyone has any feedback regarding this route, places to see or stay would be great.
You didn't say if you were actually touring Utah or just driving through. Keep in mind that your planned route will take you by Bryce and Zion national parks and near the North Rim of Grand Canyon - not far from Kanab.

I-70 and south on 89 is a very good highway. If you want to get on I-15, you can easily take Hwy 20 from 89 just north of Panguitch, UT.

Further south on 89 is Hwy 14 - it's very steep & I wouldn't recommend it.

Yet further south you come to Hwy 9 which will take you into Zion Nat'l Park. You'll have to pass through the tunnels but with the size of your RV you'll have no problem. Once past the tunnels you'll have a steep, curvy downhill into the park. Many RVers do it but just wanted to warn you of what's ahead.

Still further south on 89 just past Kanab, UT is Fredonia, AZ. An easy route to I-15 is to take 389 west which becomes 59 back in UT to Hwy 9 and continue west to I-15. . no steep hills.

In Kanab is Best Friends Animal Sanctuary which is a huge, wonderful , no-kill rescue facility for all kinds of animals in a gorgeous setting. It's worth taking one of their tours. Also, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is at Kanab and you won't believe the color of the sand dunes! There's also camping in the park.

Have a good trip!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
I would suggest that you check the websites where we RV'ers review parks to narrow down your options. For instance, you mentioned the Pismo area. Very popular during anytime kids are out of school & almost all weekends. In Pismo itself, probably the most popular park is Pismo Coast Village. Can be insanely crazy with kids whose parents just turn them loose. We no longer stay there. Had been using Pismo Sands, but most of their sites are side by side hook-ups. Recently we had a very bad experience there with them promising us one thing & reneging on it when we arrived. Same thing had happened to a couple in a neighboring site. We moved to a very nice park in nearby Morro Bay, Morro Strand RV park. Then found that hook-ups are now available at Morro Strand State park. And there is a very nice county facility between SLO & Morro. The whole area is littered with non-hook-up state parks if that's what you are after, including on the beach, in the sand, near Pismo Dunes. Let us know what your specifics are. (And to access Malibu, Ventura, etc., we've been using Tapo Canyon county park in the Simi Valley. An absolute gem.)
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Download the app "RV Parky" to check out campsites. Set the filters to what you want and read reviews and see pictures on each place. You can go to their web site and call direct to them..

2004 Monaco Signature Château 43'
Detroit 60 Series, Vorad Collision Avoidance
2011 Honda CR-V EXL, M&G Brakes
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
You can't say CA and reasonable price rv parks in the same sentence. They just don't compute. We used to volunteer at a state park in Ventura so we know it pretty well. There's only one private park in Ventura, Ventura Beach RV park, full hookups and pull thru's but not reasonable. There is some county parks in the area, Foster Park is off Hwy 33 going toward Ojai, the county added full hookups in there a few years ago. There are a couple of ocean front county parks, Hobson and Faria, partial hookups. Emma Wood State Beach is ocean front but no amenities at all, just a beautiful ocean view and just a few pull thru's, mostly back in. You can bike from Emma Wood to the store or to downtown Ventura from there. Rincon is a county park, also ocean front, no amenities, but very popular in the summer. Stay away from Malibu RV park, extremely pricey and not on the water.
We've stayed at Pismo Coast Village in Pismo, also not reasonable but close to the water. There's a state beach park in Pismo, I think they have partial hookups. Look at the Oceana section.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
The app RVParky is one of those I use. It has a 'Search Near Me' function that is just great when we see a park as we are driving & want to investigate it further. rvparkreviews is probably the best known, but Campendium, Yelp & TripAdvisor all have their own virtues.

biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote