Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Trip to Grand Canyon from NJ

Hi, I'm planning a trip to grand canyon from NJ and would like to make the trip as fun as possible stopping in different states for a couple of days on each state in the route and return thru a different route.
What places should I visit, what city, state and campground name?
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Ptapia6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #2

How long are you planning to be on the road , 4 weeks, 6 weeks, more ?
What are your interests , historical landmarks, hiking , golf ?
Just you and your DW, or will you be traveling with kids and trying to keep them entertained too?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Ptapia,

I did this trip from NJ a few times (we are in Hunterdon County).

We like to head down I-81 and then across TN, etc.

- Nashville
- Memphis (see Graceland)
- Albuquerque
- Petrified Forest in AZ
- Meteor Crater
- then on to the southern rim of the GC

On the way back, you can take a more northerly route and hit:
- Monument Valley
- 4 corners
- Mesa Verde
- Durango, CO
- Pike's Peak
- St. Louis and Gateway Arch

Safe travels
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #4

Trip to Grand Canyon

I'd say 4-5 weeks and it'll be me and my wife. We like everything but Golf and hiking
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
How long are you planning to be on the road , 4 weeks, 6 weeks, more ?
What are your interests , historical landmarks, hiking , golf ?
Just you and your DW, or will you be traveling with kids and trying to keep them entertained too?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

To Tom's , trip , I'd add from the south rim around the western end and Zion , Bryce and the North rim , before Monument Valley and 4 Corners.

Another thing , if you feel this may be a once in a lifetime trip, take a map and cross off areas you have already seen , or may get the opportunity to visit later. Then at the start of your trip roll on the miles that will put you across those areas and into new territory, giving yourself more time in spots you may not get to again.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #6

Highway 40 (not I-40) across UT and CO is a beautiful drive. You can drive Hwy 40 from Denver, CO to Park City UT. Drop south of Salt Lake City and go Hwy 6 south. Beautiful drive through mountains, go through Price, and then end up on I-70, go about 30 miles east and then go south to Moab, UT which has a lot of nice ways to spend time and enjoy the area.

Per the earlier suggestion of RVThere, once on I-40 you can jump off and take as much of old Rt 66 as possible. Lot of nice small towns and older America to see and experience. Rt 66 basically parallels I-40 and you can jump on and off as desired.

Being in NM, I will put a plug in for northern NM, take the enchanted circle around Taos-Red River-Eagles Nest-Angel Fire. Reap pretty area and a lot of nice things to do. Little east of enchanted circle make a stop in Chama, NM and ride the steam train (Cumbres and Toltec Railroad is the official name) from Chama to Antonito, CO and back; ride train and return is bus or vice-versa.

There area lot of good ways to make your trip better, most of my suggestions involve getting onto highways and stay off the boring interstates if you have the time.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Thanks for all that info.
My next question is; what months are the best for this trip
Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The aspen trees in the Colorado mountains turn colors around mid-September thru mid-October. The first big snow storms usually occur around Halloween, but can happen anytime. Most CG's close sometime after Labor Day, but you can still find places to stay year-round. Checking the weather, and being able to change your plans accordingly is what we usually do. Travel safe, PM me if I can help with your Colorado leg of the journey. BTW, what 38Chevy354 said is golden! Been there, done that, and cannot wait to go back again.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Highway 40 (not I-40) across UT and CO is a beautiful drive. You can drive Hwy 40 from Denver, CO to Park City UT. Drop south of Salt Lake City and go Hwy 6 south. Beautiful drive through mountains, go through Price, and then end up on I-70, go about 30 miles east and then go south to Moab, UT which has a lot of nice ways to spend time and enjoy the area.

Per the earlier suggestion of RVThere, once on I-40 you can jump off and take as much of old Rt 66 as possible. Lot of nice small towns and older America to see and experience. Rt 66 basically parallels I-40 and you can jump on and off as desired.

Being in NM, I will put a plug in for northern NM, take the enchanted circle around Taos-Red River-Eagles Nest-Angel Fire. Real pretty area and a lot of nice things to do. Little *west* of enchanted circle make a stop in Chama, NM and ride the steam train (Cumbres and Toltec Railroad is the official name) from Chama to Antonito, CO and back; ride train and return is bus or vice-versa.

There area lot of good ways to make your trip better, most of my suggestions involve getting onto highways and stay off the boring interstates if you have the time.
Oops, edited to be accurate, Chama is west of Taos area. Can't find the edit button for orig post?

Also agree Sept into Oct is the best time, still warm and sunny, but cooler evenings. By late Oct it can get frosty mornings, but being at altitude it warms quickly.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptapia6118 View Post
Thanks for all that info.
My next question is; what months are the best for this trip
Not June, July or August. School is out then and all the working people with children are on the road and filling up the campgrounds.

Spring or fall is when we like to travel the most.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote