Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLufkin View Post
Ny wife and I are planing a trip to Maine this summer we live in Mi. I would like some info about going through Canada good idea or bad. What to expect at customs. thanks
as many times as I have made that trip from Mich to Maine counting 6. Canada is by far the absolute worse. The 401 which is the main road going that way, is truck city, and they haul ass. There is nothing to look at. You have to leave your gun at home if you carry. The 401 through Toronto is a parking lot unless you hit it at 3 in the morning. Stay in the states go through upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and then into Main. You see things you have never seen before.

Henry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post

as many times as I have made that trip from Mich to Maine counting 6. Canada is by far the absolute worse. The 401 which is the main road going that way, is truck city, and they haul ass. There is nothing to look at. You have to leave your gun at home if you carry. The 401 through Toronto is a parking lot unless you hit it at 3 in the morning. Stay in the states go through upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and then into Main. You see things you have never seen before.

Henry
I agree 100% , nothing to look at, heavy traffic, Toronto is now the 4th biggest city in North America ahead of Chicago, and not counting the cost of fuel $1,35 per litre , over $5.00 gal , beautiful scenery true Vermont and New-Hampshire. go through the state you wont regret it .

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #17

I avoid Toronto like the plague because of the heavy traffic. Often take 407 bypass but that too can be busy. Toronto has about 8 lanes in each direction (counting 401 collectors) and at times they are like a parking lot).

Montreal is also a problem at rush hour. Getting across the St Lawrence is a traffic mess but still not as busy as Toronto but every summer Montreal seems to have sooooo many construction areas. They seem to tear up the roads and then go on vacation)

When I go east I go through NY, VT, NH and ME.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I avoid Toronto like the plague because of the heavy traffic. Often take 407 bypass but that too can be busy. Toronto has about 8 lanes in each direction (counting 401 collectors) and at times they are like a parking lot).

Montreal is also a problem at rush hour. Getting across the St Lawrence is a traffic mess but still not as busy as Toronto but every summer Montreal seems to have sooooo many construction areas. They seem to tear up the roads and then go on vacation)

When I go east I go through NY, VT, NH and ME.
Have to agree with this. While I live in upstate NY along Lake Ontario, I've taken the Seaway Trail across the state, then through the Adirondacks & US 2 across NH & VT. If you are in a hurry, there are other routes, but this is my favorite.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for some really good information here. To some of you Mainers here, when is the best time to visit? (No kids)
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
My wife and I went in late September, first 2 weeks of October. Fewer crowds, but a number of 'tourist' things were closed, but we weren't interested in most of those things anyway. Trees were changing, beautiful times!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbounder View Post
Thanks for some really good information here. To some of you Mainers here, when is the best time to visit? (No kids)
I'm not a Mainer, but been there 5 times.
Mid August. The big gush of tourists is over, the lobsters are sweet, the blueberries at peak, the weather is grand. Nuthin better than Downeast!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbounder View Post
Not a Mainer but live on the border and we spend all our camping time on the Coast, August and Septembre for us. But we always make a week trip mid October.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #23

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would add to watch for quick weather changes, we were not ready for 40 degree drops in an hour!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #24

We will be crossing into Maine sometime in beginning of October. First will be travelling across Canada, visiting the Maritimes and then the Eastern Seaboard. Any tips (RV Parks etc) you can provide us will be much appreciated. We are travelling with a 40 ft 5th wheel. Most of the time we need to be plugged in at nite, CPAP has to be running. Want to travel all the way to Florida then go to Arizona and back up home. Home being Vancouver Island. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
U maken fun of the way we tak
Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercat83 View Post
We will be crossing into Maine sometime in beginning of October. First will be travelling across Canada, visiting the Maritimes and then the Eastern Seaboard. Any tips (RV Parks etc) you can provide us will be much appreciated. We are travelling with a 40 ft 5th wheel. Most of the time we need to be plugged in at nite, CPAP has to be running. Want to travel all the way to Florida then go to Arizona and back up home. Home being Vancouver Island. Thanks in advance.
Make sure to stop at some Canadian Pharmacies on your trip across
Canada, I hear they have some great bargins.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercat83 View Post
Expect to find over half of the RV parks closed after Labor Day week-end.
Did the trip with a run through the area 3 years ago . Gaspe 2nd week in Sept and things were shutting down , PEI 3rd week ditto. Halifax , Hopewell Rocks , Maine , in Bennington , Vermont , we were in the last 2 days that park was open, first week in Oct.
Passport America , was VERY useful membership paid for it's self in 3 stays and the directory was an absolute life saver. For RV parks along the east coast , the posted season May to Sept is not the high rate season , it is their open season . Not like the west coast and V.I. open all year , with off season rates. Travel Safe
Gaspe & Quebec , northern N.B. brush up on your French. No English on the road signs. Road from Rimouski to Gaspe is a SOB , was towing a rear kitchen 5er at the time, in 5 years of towing I'd never broken a thing till I got on that road.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #28

An example of what you'll see for road signs along the Gaspe.
Pictures in my old computer " I'll be back ! "