Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Trip to MI from NH

Will be heading to Petoskey, MI in late July. Direct route is through Canada. Never done that in an RV, or for that matter since we needed passports. Is it worth the hassle, or would I be better off staying in the US? Would have to overnight somewhere in Canada I suspect. Two small pets, no guns to worry about. Any thoughts appreciated.

BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same dilemma two years ago and chose to stay in the US, but it was really a close decision. What made up my mind was the possibility of delays upon going through two border crossings, plus the lower cost of fuel in the US. More miles but fewer unknowns and likely less hassles. Despite this I love to visit Canada. If you have the time and inclination to linger in Canada I would do that. Ottowa is a particularly lovely town to visit.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

Not only would you need passports, but vaccination documentation for all pets. I will be going to Friendship, MI in late July from VT so I am looking forward to any comments.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the quick feedback. Likely will stay in the US.
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

If you already have the passports it is not a problem.
The only caution is do not transport a gun.
We cross frequently with a dog and two cats. Never asked for papers on any of them.
Fill your gas tank in the US. You probably have the range to travel from Buffalo to Port Huron or Detroit without having to buy gas in Canada. If you don't have the range, just buy part of a tank in Canada.
Its a simple trip.
We live in Michigan
Old 06-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA36 View Post
Will be heading to Petoskey, MI in late July. Direct route is through Canada. Never done that in an RV, or for that matter since we needed passports. Is it worth the hassle, or would I be better off staying in the US? Would have to overnight somewhere in Canada I suspect. Two small pets, no guns to worry about. Any thoughts appreciated.
I am from Derry NH now in Texas. Will be going back in August to visit friends.

Wish you well on your trip!!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

We go from MI up to the Georgian Bay most every summer. Either with fifth wheel or small motorhome. Border crossing is easy and fast these days in Port Huron and a more direct route for you. Avoid Detroit crossing. Travel is slow across Canada, gas is high. If you have time and want to enjoy the scenery, go north to Tobermory and take the ferry across and then hit Michigan in the eastern UP.

Gary
Old 06-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Personally I would take 17 across Canada to Sault Ste. Marie and then down across the Mackinaw bridge to Petosky. I've also taken the ferry with 23' trailer from the Toronto area north to Manitoulin Island and then to Sault Ste. Marie. I've done 17 by car, towing a trailer, motorhome and motorcycle. Its a great adventure I would do again in a heartbeat. The Canadians are great and their provincial parks are incredible.