Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Trip to the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ

Going to take our first long road trip in our Class A. Leaving from Lake Havasu City, AZ on October 9th and head out on the I-40 with stops along the way. Plan on spending 2 days at each location to minimize the driving and maximize the rose smelling. Plan on arriving in Tennessee on October 20th. The most direct route out is the 40. Anything to be aware of that would impact the trip? Driving a Fleetwood Excursion 39S towing a Jeep.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

Can only speak for 40 in Tennessee but think you will find good road.
If you need places to stay along the way, might suggest Tom Sawyer in Memphis or Natchez Trace State Park (RV Park since there are 3 campgrounds) out of Jackson a ways. I'm live in West TN if I can help.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
There is some road construction on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis, about 20 miles of it I think. Not sure if it is East bound or West now.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies DannyA and DENSHER. Looking forward to this trip.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 AM   #5

Enjoy the Jack. Many teams hand out samples after their turn-ins are done. If you can, with the crowds, try to eat at Mary Bobo's, a unique dining experience.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
Enjoy the Jack. Many teams hand out samples after their turn-ins are done. If you can, with the crowds, try to eat at Mary Bobo's, a unique dining experience.
That's for Mary Bobo's!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #7

BBQ JUDGE, my son is competing, so I will be enjoying his bbq. And i heard we have reservations at Mary Bobo's. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #8

They are rebuilding a bridge right outside of Lynchburg, NO wide loads, I drove it the other day and it is tight, so not sure if it will be done by Oct. Just keep that in mind. Do you have a place to camp yet? Not much down there, a KOA in Manchester and a couple out in coffee county, a FAM camp at Arnold Air Force base, 30 to 45 min drive to Lynchburg.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #9

Sam crime - We have a spot at the KOA as a backup but we will be staying at the BBQ competition for the duration. I'll check on the bridge work as the departure date gets closer. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #10

I would strongly suggest taking TN State Route 840 towards I24 at Murfreesboro to avoid Nashville traffic.

Might put a few more miles, but save a lot of white knuckle driving!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #11

The Clock Meister - That route might actually work out better, as I need to go to Lynchburg. 840 to the 241, I believe might be the ticket. Less traffic is always a good thing. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired-guy View Post
The Clock Meister - That route might actually work out better, as I need to go to Lynchburg. 840 to the 241, I believe might be the ticket. Less traffic is always a good thing. Thanks!

Forgot about 840 and it is the best, not much traffic till you hit I24 in Murfreesboro, I also drove to Lynchburg yesterday and the bridge is still being worked on, but normal 18 wheelers were going thru and I had back in June in my Renegade.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #13

Sam
Great news. Thanks for the update.

Steve
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired-guy View Post
Sam
Great news. Thanks for the update.

Steve
We just drove the I40 from Barstow to Tennessee to see relatives and attend the Yard Sale. Smooth sailing all of the way other than slowing down for the construction others have mentioned. We also got on the 840 towards Murfreesboro, so did not go through Nashville on the way out. However, when we departed Tennessee, we did go through Nashville on a Sunday morning and it was not bad.