Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
U.S. Grand Prix, Austin, TX

We are hoping that once all of the political considerations are resolved that the proposed US Grand Prix in Austin, TX will take place this November. Hopefully someone can recommend a CG close to the track.
Have a 98 Winneabago 33W, no toad this trip so shoulf fit in almost any CG

2005 Winnebago Vectra, 20 foot enclosed car hauler with a Mini Cooper S convertible inside, look for the big Betty Boop on the back,and two Westies Maggie and Buddy.
Catcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
i posed the same question on another forum and got 2 suggestions one was a state park and another a rv park both near Bastrop texas wish i could be more help but i can't find my notes

beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
would hily recomend lone star rv just south of austin of 35 styed there many times
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
We are hoping that once all of the political considerations are resolved that the proposed US Grand Prix in Austin, TX will take place this November. Hopefully someone can recommend a CG close to the track.
Have a 98 Winneabago 33W, no toad this trip so shoulf fit in almost any CG
I have a buddy in Austin working on that deal. . .it looks good to happen.

As for a place to stay, I recommend getting out of the Austin area but close enough to drive. New Braunfels has a place right on I-35 South of Austin yet 40 minutes from the race area. Try River Ranch RV Resort (830)625-7788. I was a full timer there until November of this year.

Good Luck.
Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Austin RV Parks on the East Side

The following RV Parks are on the east side of Austin with easy access on the 130 Toll Road (the track is about 1/2 mile off of the 130 Toll Road):

Not far from the 130 Toll Road and not far from Hwy. 183 and gets nice reviews:
Austin Oak Forest RV Park | Main

If you want to be in far north Austin (about 30 min. north of the track) then you may want to consider one of the following:

Round Rock (northeast side of Austin)
Old Settlers Park => Old Settlers Assoc. RV Park Review and Rating
Georgetown (northeast side of Austin)
Berry Springs RV Park => Berry Springs RV Park: Georgetown's Newest RV Park!
New Life RV Park => New Life RV Park Georgetown, TX
Georgetown Lake Corp of Engineers - Cedar Breaks Park => U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Georgetown Lake Home Page

About 30 minutes east is Bastrop State Park (was one of our favorite places to camp). But I'm not sure of its condition since the wildfires went through the park.
FrankandMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
we are currently staying at the bastrop river koa park.it's nice and about 20 miles from the f1 track. there is another rvpark being built at hwy 71 and 21 in cedar creek. here is a link to the koa in bastrop.Bastrop / SE Austin / Colorado River KOA | Camping in Texas | KOA Campgrounds.
we are hoping to back for the race .
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We stay at the New Life Campground in North Austin (Georgetown) twice a year when we visit the kids. Very friendly, clean and easily accessible to the major highways.

New Life RV Park Georgetown, TX

I hope this helps and you enjoy your visit.
95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Also a state park in SE Austin near the race track, Mckinney Falls State Park. I would advise reservations wherever you decide to stay as soon as you can. Happy trails. Or would it be Vroom, Vroom?

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
I sent them an email asking if they would have camping on site. They said they were looking into it. I would prefer to stay at the track, but would drive in if I had to. This info is good to know.

So get next year in and check them out before Bernie moves on to his Next Big Thing (NJ).
2011 Damon Daybreak 35DB
Robot9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
RV Parking Across from the Circuit of the Americas

Found this, and booked with them...kinda pricey but they are close and have transportation to track
austinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm seeing land owners near the F1 track asking for $200/night. No hookups.
For those of you that don't know - travel time to and from the track, due to lack of infrastructure is expected to be around 2 hours from Austin itself. There is a helicopter option out of Austin Executive and perhaps Bergstrom.

San Marcos is great is probably your best bet out of those mentioned above.

(moderator edit) consider Jonestown - there are two RV parks both are nice, however one is age restricted. There are also boondocking options at Arkansas Bend State park.

Emma Long park is outstanding, but it won't take reservations. I'm not sure that the state parks will take reservations either and I'm already seeing people who have rented cabins attempting to trade those reservations for tickets.....

Lago Vista has a private RV park with hook ups... If you run out of options find someone in Lago (like me) that could get you in... It's 40 minutes from Austin.. but again, the real commute is the 2 hour drive from Austin to the track.. :-)
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
State parks take reservations. City parks do not.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
300,000 add'l people are expected... I-35 is already one of the most congested (worst) roads in the USA. Do not, repeat, DO NOT stay anywhere requiring crossing or travel on I-35. Keep the gas tank full as massive "parking lots" are predicted for all roadways both inbound and outbound.
Most locals will be as far away from Austin as their MH/trailer will take them.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Entegra Owners Club
You are right on this one, I'm staying away from Austin

Rich USN-Ret & Cindy, Austin TX,
2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42RBQ
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote