Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: This trip is
The ultimate fun, I think I will try it. 3 12.50%
Should be flushed out including other stops and campgrounds 7 29.17%
Looks great but not for me 8 33.33%
The dumest idea I have ever heard of (or close to it) 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ultimate RV trips

I just read an article from a techie thatwanted to lay out the ultimate route to hit every state of the main land U.S. via the shortest possible route. In theory you could do this in a few months. The way we travel it would take longer as I would want to visit many more sites than the trip has, but this would be fun. I think Woodalls or Good Sams may want to spend some time taking advantage of this guys work and hireing my wife and I to do it for them based on their version of it. Take a look at the article. Great idea.

How to Really Drive Across the U.S. Hitting Major Landmarks : Discovery News

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

Definitely not our kind of trip. Why spend all the money on fuel and campgrounds if you're only going for the purpose of seeing ONE place in each state. Plus....the Fox Theater in Detroit for Michigan???? Yikes! Michigan offers a great deal more!

We full-timed for 16+ years traveling constantly and still haven't seen all there is the lower 48. However, unlike the above-mentioned trip, we did spend a summer in Alaska and of course, we had to drive through the Yukon and Canada to get there which included many more wonderful stops. We've also driven across all of Canada.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The route I find interesting. At road speed straight driving the authors said 9 days possible. For us, we would be continoually diverted to see other places. I happen to live in Michigan. Believe there might be a bit more here than the Fox. Actually we are spending this summer simply visiting as many or the state and federal parks as we can absorb. Doubt if we get them all. As for the trip route on the Google map it does provide the shortest distance between two points. I liked the continous route without doubling back.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There is too much in each state to rush through only seeing one landmark.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This was drawn up by a bunch of collage students. I have to wonder what Geography they were taught. If you notice they've missed several MAJOR attractions i.e. Niagara Falls even though the route goes near there there's no mention of it.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

I'd much rather go to Duluth or Brainerd area than mpls
Old 03-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So we can all agree that a computer does not understand what we as explorers like to see and do. What I was hoping to discover was favorite routes around this pathway. If we put enough of them together maybe we provide others the pieces for their ultimate RV trip.
As an example my first phase of "this trip" would start in Traverse City Michigan. We will head North following the shores of the bays, across the Mackinaw Bridge and hang a left. Take the North shore of Lake Michigan to Garden Peninsula (a beautiful spot I might add) then West to Lake Superior. Hang a right through the White and Porcupine Mountains to Copper Harbor, follow Lake Superior to the East and South. Catch Marquette, Pictured Rocks, Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish point to the Soo (Sault Ste Mare) locks then South back to the Big Mac and on down the Western Huron shore to visit Fox Theater (It is quite beautiful) then onto the computer generated route until I find the next diversion that hopefully someone that travels Ohio as much as I do Michigan can give us some good things to see and do. Next back to the computer route (more or less) to do the next state. You get the idea. The idea is there are many of us along this route that know the good stuff, our favorite stuff to do and see. This route that "some college kid" generated with a computer could provide a base map to share our knowledge with others.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is fascinating and hats off to the "techies" that put this together. It is a real compromise on mileage and getting at least one landmark to visit in each state. I'm not sure of the age of the folks that put this together but I must admit that they did a relatively good job of balancing historic, natural, and other landmarks for each state. Lots of college kids would make a trip to visit an Irish Pub in each state (another good idea??!!)

Very interesting but not for me at this stage.. i'm trying to slow down, not speed up!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now I like the Pub crawl idea. To be done right I would have to hit Boston on Saint Patty's Day. I did like their shortest routing between points. My problem would be all of the diversions from main route could easily add months to the trip. If I add the pubs along the way it could become a career
Old 03-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwhela View Post
Now I like the Pub crawl idea. To be done right I would have to hit Boston ....If I add the pubs along the way it could become a career
Start a pub crawl in Boston and THAT would be a career!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Georgia for one has a lot more to offer than a trip up I 95

We like to stop a smell the roses. Would take us years to to that trip
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #12

I'll throw the BS flag on that website. Sounds like someone wishing to promote their blog.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
while the West Baden Hotel in Indiana is something to see. There are many other places including the home of the Indy 500 and the Auburn/Cord museum.

cyn

chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel planning