Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #57

I rarely dry camp. I can count on one hand the times I have dry camped. The campgrounds are getting beaten up for these bans. But in most cases rightfully so.

As has been said before, if they had a place for people that do dry camp for an extremely reduced fee they'd probably get more business from these people.

If a customer doesn't need electric, water, cable, showers, etc and just want a relatively safe and quiet place to park for the night (or a few hours) why should they be expected to pay the same rate I pay. I am there for all of the hookups and amenities.

The 0.000002% of the RV's that illegally dump aren't really an issue. Does it happen? Yes. Shouldn't they be castrated? Yes. The choice Van Horn made will cost them. Rver's never say "let's stop in this town they have an anti RV ordinance" do they.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have no campgrounds in the town I live in. There is a City ordinance against overnight "camping" but it is rarely enforced. I was told that the ordinance was requested by the Public Safety department due to "undesireables" parking for days, trashing the areas, and illegal behavior (drugs, hint, hint).

You can't blame the "evil" RV Park owners all of the time.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think I've ever met a greedy CG owner.

Take the the CG I am currently staying at in Dickinson, TX. With in a fe short miles of the boardwalk in Kemah, just up the road from Galveston, and many other nice places.

I am paying $22.00 per night for FHU with 50 amps. The CG has a restaurant, 9 hole par 3 golf course, paved sites, large convenience store open until 10:00 PM all of this in a gated park. The only extra was a refundable $35.00 charge for the remote to open the gate.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
"Just more Bad Laws passed for the "special interest" of a greedy few... Typical !!!"

Walmart, Lets see,,, probably the richest family in the US and they want you in their parking lot for free, out of the goodness of their heart?!? Get real! They want you there to spend real money, perhaps spend the night and move on. Sam Walton started with nothing and built an empire seems like the definition of the American dream.

It is they that should be persecuted for allowing staying there at all. They now take away from other legit businesses (RV parks) by allowing other greedy people to overuse their lot. I fail to see the difference. If allowing free parking is taking money away from legitimate businesses isn't the CG owner who pushes to enact and ordinance possibly taking money away from the store owner who allows free parking?

They offer no benefits to workers and pay minimum wage.Haven't heard of anyone being forced to work there

They didn't become the richest 1% of the 1% by being magnanimous, they got there by being greedy beyond greedy! Sam accomplished this feat by being smarter and willing to work harder than the next guy. He demanded performance from his vendors. They had a choice, work hard to me the requirements or sell their products elsewhere

Then, there are those who pull up in a 750,000$ moho and spend a week there, don't spend dollar 1, because Walmart has a policy. Never stayed at in a parking so I can't comment

Many cities accross the US now overturn Walmats policy decisions saying that while Walmart leases the land from the city it's still city property and they want you to support RV parks after hours. I agree with that and would hope that others here do too. Most RV parks are private property made useable through their investment and paying workers living wages.They deserve our money to stay overnight. I think most folks realize that when they stay at a Walmart lot they are directly suppoting the richest 1 % while directly contributing to fewer and fewer RV parks. If you wish to enjoy the open road and your lifestyle, stay at an RV park and pay your rent. I like the convenience of staying a parks so I guess my actions support your objective
-Paul R. Haller-
Not sure about all this 1% nonsense though. Isn't envy one of the 7 deadly right up there with greed?

If you want what someone else has then work harder to get it like they did. Seems simple to me.

If allowing someone to spend the night in a store parking lot in the hopes they will buy a few items is greed, then wouldn't the CG owner's action of using the government to write a policy that essentially forces someone to stay at their CG also greed?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Slapping a ticket on my windshield for "camping" illegally without even a courtesy knock on the door first guarantees that ticket gets torn up and tossed. They can bill me.....
You have not had a ticket lately. The greedy states were losing money because people were sick and tired of paying for minor infractions and were throwing away their tickets. A friend of mine from Tiffin Motor Homes was coming to Atlanta from Red Bay,Ala. He was in the middle of a group of cars. A East point policeman pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He of course was mad because he was driving the same speed as all the other cars. He ignored the ticket and a few weeks later He got a letter in the mail from the ALABAMA State Patrol. They wanted him to send in his drivers license or they would come arrest him. They said he could get his license back when he paid GEORGIA his fine.

he
Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
You have not had a ticket lately. The greedy states were losing money because people were sick and tired of paying for minor infractions and were throwing away their tickets. A friend of mine from Tiffin Motor Homes was coming to Atlanta from Red Bay,Ala. He was in the middle of a group of cars. A East point policeman pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He of course was mad because he was driving the same speed as all the other cars. He ignored the ticket and a few weeks later He got a letter in the mail from the ALABAMA State Patrol. They wanted him to send in his drivers license or they would come arrest him. They said he could get his license back when he paid GEORGIA his fine.
Moving violations in other states are covered as above by the Drivers License Compact, an agreement among member states for (among other things) reporting and enforcing certain violations. I'm not sure whether or not parking tickets would be covered by the Drivers License Compact - might be worth Googling before ignoring one, though.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post

That's true, I haven't had a ticket since 1971, three days after I got my license.
I am a law-abiding individual and if I deserve a ticket I will certainly pay it.
That said, a parking ticket policy targeting RVers with no prior notification beforehand (either by posted sign or verbally) is basically taxation. I will not pay it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
My take on this is a simple one, find out the unfriendly area's and don't even slow down, pass through and go to a friendly area...If enough of us do this the law will go away in all these places.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfado View Post
My take on this is a simple one, find out the unfriendly area's and don't even slow down, pass through and go to a friendly area...If enough of us do this the law will go away in all these places.

Very true, but it helps to let the unfriendly jurisdictions know your plan. They can't grasp what they don't know they are losing.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
Municode - Search

You'll want to go to chapter 12.12
12.12.040 states "Except in designated areas or in areas in which prior written permission has been granted by the owner or agent in charge of the real property, it shall be unlawful for any person to camp within the city limits of the town of Van Horn, Texas. "

Aside from the incident mentioned by the OP, has anyone verified that the three truck stops there are or are not "areas in which prior written permission has been granted by the owner or agent in charge" ? They seem to allow a lot of trucks overnight... has anyone stayed over there in an RV?

When we stopped there a week ago we found that the former Passport America campground now charges $30 to $45 a night; he was empty. We stayed at another for a relatively high price of $30. It's evident that the economy of this town is and will continue to diminish unless the township (and RV parks) decide to take actions to encourage visits by overnight passers through.

(We have often overnighted at the WalMart in Ft Stockton. Every time there were many RV's there. There are also a few moderately priced CG's there as well as in neighboring Balmorhea. Further west between Van Horn and El Paso there's not that much.)
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
12.12.040 states "Except in designated areas or in areas in which prior written permission has been granted by the owner or agent in charge of the real property, it shall be unlawful for any person to camp within the city limits of the town of Van Horn, Texas. "

Aside from the incident mentioned by the OP, has anyone verified that the three truck stops there are or are not "areas in which prior written permission has been granted by the owner or agent in charge" ? They seem to allow a lot of trucks overnight... has anyone stayed over there in an RV?

When we stopped there a week ago we found that the former Passport America campground now charges $30 to $45 a night; he was empty. We stayed at another for a relatively high price of $30. It's evident that the economy of this town is and will continue to diminish unless the township (and RV parks) decide to take actions to encourage visits by overnight passers through.

(We have often overnighted at the WalMart in Ft Stockton. Every time there were many RV's there. There are also a few moderately priced CG's there as well as in neighboring Balmorhea. Further west between Van Horn and El Paso there's not that much.)
Based on what I have received from the CoC there OTR trucks aren't even questioned. This seems to be directed at RVs due to pressure from the 3 or 4 RV park owners. The Van Horn issue is on several forums and I have seen where other people woke up to greeting cards on their windshield.

We never overnighted in Van Horn but we are through 4 times a year and always stopped for fuel and food. It has come off our places we stop list. With revenue streams getting tight for local governments - you'd think they wouldn't intentionally dry one up.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #68

Darn, wasn't aware of this, just stayed at a Van Horn CG twice this last trip. Never again, at least until the law is changed.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
Based on what I have received from the CoC there OTR trucks aren't even questioned. This seems to be directed at RVs due to pressure from the 3 or 4 RV park owners. The Van Horn issue is on several forums and I have seen where other people woke up to greeting cards on their windshield.

We never overnighted in Van Horn but we are through 4 times a year and always stopped for fuel and food. It has come off our places we stop list. With revenue streams getting tight for local governments - you'd think they wouldn't intentionally dry one up.
The Van Horn CG we stayed at a week or so ago was OK, but hardly worth 30 bucks. This was the first and probably last time we do that ... unless they wise up and start charging $10-15 rates like PPA CG's do along that route. From now on it's either Ft Stockton/Balmorhea or... stretch it to Las Cruces.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was just thinking: If someone over on the Discovery Owner's site were to make a POI file of towns, Cities, Countys and States that do not allow overnighting at a parking lot but require everyone be in a licensed RV park, and we were all to download it. and simply boycott those towns, Sending a letter to the businesmen's assn "We'd love to visit your town and shop but... We can't park there" .

Those laws might change,, and fast.