Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #71

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
......Further west between Van Horn and El Paso there's not that much.)
Look for US Forrest Service or US Bureau of Land Management properties........
Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds
BLM - The Bureau of Land Management

As a US citizen you are invited to use these properties, that you already OWN!

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #72

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One comment on Wall-Marts.. Wall-Mart will restrict overnight camping if the parking lot is too small or if the store is not 24 hour or if they have had serious abuse of privilege issues. And I for one do not blame them.

They will POST a lot of the city county or state demands.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
Very true, but it helps to let the unfriendly jurisdictions know your plan. They can't grasp what they don't know they are losing.
Agree 100%. That is why I used the e-mail addresses posted by the OP and sent the recipients a respectful message letting them know how I feel.

If everyone who has responded to this forum thread would do that. They might just start to understand the impact of their decission.

I've included the e-mail address here for your convenience (copied from OP):

City Manager: franmalafronte@vanhorntexas.org
Mayor: okeylucas@vanhorntexas.org
Publisher, Van Horn Advocate: lsimpson@vanhornadvocate.com
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This post was copied from the FMCA forum:

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:30 AM
Good Morning RV'ers,

My name is Patricia. I want to give you my correct email for Van Horn.

patriciagolden@vanhorntexas.org

I am presently out of town on emergency leave but I am not out of touch. A friend emailed me your website and forum. I represent the Van Horn Chamber of Commerce and I am a traveler of sorts. I would like to respond to your comments by welcoming you to write to me.

I was present at the city council meetings that lead up to a more strict decision regarding RV parking in the town of Van Horn. It was not intended to create such an unpleasant experience. I suggest you continue to write on your forum and write to me. I am sensitive to you complaints and would like to collect them for review by our City board.

Sincerely,

Patricia
Coordinator, secretary, treasurer
Van Horn Chamber of Commerce
Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #75

I very much appreciate the sentiment and the openness to comments, but I have to wonder... did they think such a regulation would create anything other than a unpleasant experience to travelers to Van Horn who try to exercise a right that is present in 99% of the rest of the country?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Ummmm....the Chamber of Commerce isn't the City's governing body. She's offering to LOBBY the City's governing board on behalf of RVers (and the City's businesses, which she represents) as I read her message.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #77

I understand that. I read her message the same way and appreciate her interest. I guess I wasn't very clear but in my comment 'they' referred to the City Council and not to Ms. Golden and the Chamber of Commerce.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #78

whole geographic area of so cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
This site can help you avoid some of these places. Their data is also listed in the MS Streets and Trips Mega POI File for those that use that program for planning.

RV Unfriendly

Quick blerb here
Off the top of my head,in So Kalifornia ,generally speaking ,anywhere west of I-5 from the San fernando Valley ,through to San diego on to mexican border there are
no motor vehicles allowed to spend overnight anywhere in city limits unless in an RV prk.
There are plenty of other areas east of the I-5 that dont allow it ,but its spotty.

i usually just call the cities parking enforcement to see if O/N prkings ok or not.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #79
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

My DH and I were on this stretch of road a few weeks ago..... Spent one night in the Flying J parking lot close to the NM/TX border, can't remember which side... There was a terrible dust storm, so we were glad we did not have to even get out of the rig.... No problems... Then went down to Fort Davis after driving thru VanHorn...... Glad we did... After we got back on the road we decided to get propane, and there was the nicest man in Sonora TX, i think it was West Texas Gas, he was a ww2 vet and used to have a cairn terrier, lost an eye in the war.... So nice... Spent that night in a TX rest area in Kerrville... The TX rest areas have free wifi and allow overnight parking.... Point is, there are other options... Van Horn is now on my DNS list, and i would love to have access to a major list.... Thanks to all for the info.....
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Is Van Horn the town where the police wear blue jeans, white shirt and blue jean jackets? And, of course, a cowboy hat.

Or is that Fort Stockton?
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #81

Thanks for Ms. Golden's email. I just sent her a friendly message and added my voice to yours.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
Is Van Horn the town where the police wear blue jeans, white shirt and blue jean jackets? And, of course, a cowboy hat.

Or is that Fort Stockton?
Or is it one of the other of the hundreds of small towns that use this dress code?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Or is it one of the other of the hundreds of small towns that use this dress code?
I had a Cadillac Escalade EXT with the tag and dealer tag cover installed by the dealership. The dealer tag cover touched the bottom of the horses feet at the very bottom of the tag (Texas tag has a cowboy riding a horse). Nothing was obstructed. Truly, nothing. You could even make out the horses hooves.

Mrs. theDiplomat and my daughter were driving I-10 to Phoenix. Speed limit - 75. She was doing 70 using Cruise control. She was just past Van Horn where there are quite literally acres of land between the east and westbound lanes.

She was the only car in sight in every direction, except a Camaro, parked in the center of the acres between the lanes.

The Camaro tore out of the center in a huge dust plume, passed my wife at probably over 100 mph, slowed, drove right beside pacing her for about 5 miles matching her speed, then dropped in behind her for another 5 miles or so. They were scared spitless and called me while all of this was happening. I, of course, was helpless in Houston.

Then, he turned on blue lights in the front grill and pulled her over. Gave her a ticket for "Obstructed Tag." $275.

I called the Van Horn Chief of Police. He was less than friendly. Hostile might be a better word.

I took a picture of the tag, sent it to the Texas State Attorney's office, who wrote back that although the tag did not appear obstructed to them, the "Obstructed Tag" law is subject to interpretation by each law officer.

Patricia may be the nicest lady in the world, but neither she nor anyone else would ever be able to change how we feel about Van Horn.

We go to Phoenix pretty often. We do not, and will not stop in Van Horn.

I've decided if anything like that ever happens again, during the event I will call the State Troopers and tell them I think we are under attack by, what is the correct term (???), undocumented residents.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
We go to Phoenix pretty often. We do not, and will not stop in Van Horn.
I would suggest stopping when the Camaro with blue lights pulls in behind you.