Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Unfriendly RV Locations

Van Horn, TX Located on I-10 has elected to fine RVers who sleep overnight in their town if not in an RV Park. This includes private property, Truck Stops and even on your own property. Although the last one will be difficult to enforce. Discovery Owners Assoc Inc members have contacted the City Manager and was told she was pressured by the RV Parks in her City to enforce the Ordinance. Several of us have sent emails to the City of Van Horn, TX telling them of our displeasure. Our feeling is that if Van Horn, TX is RV unfriendly then we will just not give them our business. If you feel the way we do then pass the word. And...let us know of other towns doing this so we can avoid them too.

If you too would like to send Van Horn, TX a message here are the email addresses:

City Manager: franmalafronte@vanhorntexas.org
Mayor: okeylucas@vanhorntexas.org
Publisher, Van Horn Advocate: lsimpson@vanhornadvocate.com

Del
2000 37V Discovery
Good Sam
FMCA
Fleetwood RV Club
Discovery Owners

DelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow . . . did you let Good Sam know about that?! That's nuts!!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

More Information

This was posted on the FMCA Forum.

"RV'ers traveling east and west on I-10 in west Texas, take note. You can not, and will be fined, for camping overnight at the truck stops in Van Horn, Texas. I pulled into the truck stop parking area [where he has stayed many times before], right behind Mc Donalds, early this morning for a much needed rest, short nap and breakfast. When I awoke 2 hours later at 7am, there was a ticket taped to my windshield. Violation of City of Van Horn ordinance 12/12.010. Fine of $85 payable by money order only."

Here's the link to the municipal Anti-RV ordinance:
http://library.munic...statename=Texas

In particular notice section B-2 which specifies RVs:
12.12.030 - Definitions.

A. The term "public area" shall mean an outdoor area to which the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, streets, highways, parks, parking lots, alleyways, pedestrian ways, vacant or uninhabited lots or parcels of land, rights-of-way, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, service stations, transport facilities, churches and shops.

B. The term "camp" means to use a public area for living accommodation purposes for a period of time in excess of four (4) consecutive hours, for activities such as, but not limited to, the following:

1. Sleeping, or making preparations to sleep, including the laying down of bedding for the purpose of sleeping;

2. Parking of a motor vehicle, motor home, or trailer for the apparent purpose of overnight occupancy;

12.12.040 - Regulations and restrictions on camping.

A. Except in designated areas or in areas in which prior written permission has been granted by the owner or agent in charge of the real property, it shall be unlawful for any person to camp within the city limits of the town of Van Horn, Texas.

B. The activities listed in Section 12.12.030 of this chapter shall constitute camping when it reasonably appears, in light of all the circumstances, that the participants, in conducting these activities, are in fact using the area for living, sleeping, or overnight accommodation purposes regardless of the intent of the participants or the nature of any other activities in which they may also be engaging.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Well I have been stoping off at an RV park both coming and going to Quartzsite but that just went out the window unless they change things. Sounds also like a cash cow for the city in addition to the RV parks. just sent my opinion to City/newpaper.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There are several cities in the U.S. that have laws against overnight parking in public areas. 99% of the laws were implemented at the request/demands of the local RV parks and hotels, so don't blame the city, but don't stop at ANY RV Park/Hotel in cities that do this or you will be doing just what they want you to do... spend money at their business. About 2 years ago we were in Gatlinburg, TN and found the same law in place.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
There are several cities in the U.S. that have laws against overnight parking in public areas. 99% of the laws were implemented at the request/demands of the local RV parks and hotels, so don't blame the city,...
Whadda ya mean, "Don't blame the city"? They're the dopes who passed the law aren't they?

-- Loren
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #7

The last time I was down on I10, there was a well lit rest area East of town that we used a couple of times. Don't like rest areas but no problems there. Even saw one person sleeping on the ground (I think he was asleep).
Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Unfriendly Places

This site can help you avoid some of these places. Their data is also listed in the MS Streets and Trips Mega POI File for those that use that program for planning.

RV Unfriendly
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
Whadda ya mean, "Don't blame the city"? They're the dopes who passed the law aren't they?

-- Loren
They passed the law at the request of the RV Parks and lodging in the area. Just a government doing what their citizens asked

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
Wow . . . did you let Good Sam know about that?! That's nuts!!
Interesting thing about Good Sam's... Good Sam's is part of the Affinity group, Affinity group owns campgrounds.. And it was Campground owners assn, Which may well include Affinity, that pushed for this questionably illegal ordnance.

I won't go into why it's legality is questionable.

The logic the campground owners use, is not all that good.. But alas there are RVers who do push it.. Are they being paid to push it? (I do not know but I've seen worse ideas)

For example there was a story a while ago about some jerk who dumped his waste tanks in a public parking lot..

And from time to time folks get caught dumping in storm drains.

Affinity and the campground owners use these incidents as an argument "They must park in a licensed campground with proper sanitary facilities".

And the governments... buy it. Never mind that the people who are doing this stuff are criminals and criminals care little for the law and won't obey this new one any more than they did the existing laws. The governments buy it.. cuse making laws (And often breaking them) is what they do.

I kind of wonder what they will do if a specific RVer boondocks in their city over night.. (The RVer I'm speaking of is a Justice, Supreme court type)
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
This site can help you avoid some of these places. Their data is also listed in the MS Streets and Trips Mega POI File for those that use that program for planning.

RV Unfriendly
I just added the site to my favorites as it would help us a ton. I just clicked on a MI which is where we are an seen 4 areas that don't allow overnighting. One to be Traverse City WalMart. I don't think they enforce anything here beacuse there are rv's in that lot every night.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #12

For those of you that use MS Streets and Trips 2011 Mapping/GPS Software, I ran across this web site yesterday POI Megafile: RV Unfriendly | Streets & Trips Team Blog
You can download a FREE file you add to S&T that lists locations across the country that are known to be RV Unfriendly. It adds "Push Pins" to those locations on your map.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
So I gues they would rather have you have an accident and kill yourself or someone else if you get drowsy. Where are their heads?,,,,Where the sun doesn't shine?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
They passed the law at the request of the RV Parks and lodging in the area. Just a government doing what their citizens asked
Was it a majority of citizens?... or just a few influential RV park owners though?

I'll avoid Van Horn RV parks or anywhere as an overnight.