Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Perhaps he's traveled there or perhaps he lived there.
Well then he would know there is a Grand Marais in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, which he apparently did not.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #16

Geez, all I did was try to use my memory instead of actually checking facts

For the record, I moved from near Detroit to Lexington KY, but that was in 1959 so the KY bourbon may have altered my cognitive process

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Well then he would know there is a Grand Marais in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, which he apparently did not.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #17

If you can live without water and electric, I would recommend some of the national forest campgrounds. Au train has a nice park. I have stayed in most of the state parks in the UP and have not found one that I did not like. My only issue is that they are crowded this time of year so you need reservations or show up early to get in on a non-reserved site.
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #18

Jeff,

The UP is a big as it is beautiful. You need to be a little specific where in the where in the 300 long and 175 wide mile hunk on land you want to end up. I can give you some more specifics if you decide what you want to see and do.

Matt - BTDT
Old 06-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
George I was going to tell you it was in Michigan when I stayed there but I see others linked to it.

Nice little park.. Major issue is no security and nick-o-locks I do not like nick-o-locks.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
George I was going to tell you it was in Michigan when I stayed there but I see others linked to it.

Nice little park.. Major issue is no security and nick-o-locks I do not like nick-o-locks.
Woodland Park in GM, MI has more issues than that. The major problem is NO reservations. This place is way out of the way and to dirve that far with no alternative if they are packed sucks. The other problem is Bert Township treats this as their cash cow and in the past, they apparently rearranged the sites to squeeze in as many campers as they can during the short 3 month camping season. What that town needs is another campground with hookups to compete with the township campground.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Aune Osborn is one we liked also.

The shipwreck museum out past Paradise is phenomenal especially to people who lived through the storm that night.

There is a lot of beautiful sightseeing east of I-75 in the Cedarville, Hessel, Detour Village, Pickford, Goetzville etc.

Along the south shore of the St Mary's River there are numerous parks and my favorite was the one at Brimley.

Too many neat things to do also, like stand on the platform and watch the huge lakers lock through going east and west.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to "rough it", we are hosting the campground at the Sunset Lake Park (aka Bates Twp Park) in Iron River, MI.

We have two spots here that will accomadate your rig.

There are no power,water, or sewer, but there are bathrooms and showers.

You will not see any better sunsets than at Sunset Lake!

Oh, the charge is 10 bucks a night. And the very best pizza you will ever find at the Riverside Bar and Pizzeria! (and the best campground hosts you will ever meet!) Bates Twp click here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11351253_10203652747511688_3586600881186032433_n.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	98074  
Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #23

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone comment on the roads across the UP, such as (I guess, county) road 28?

We want to go from St Sault Marie, Mi. to the Paradise area.

Thanks,
Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #24

The paved roads are just fine for all RVs in the Upper Peninsula. Unpaved roads are typically narrow so check them out first.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #25

Thanks, TWOGYPSIES!

Figured they had to be OK, but wanted to check.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone comment on the roads across the UP, such as (I guess, county) road 28?

We want to go from St Sault Marie, Mi. to the Paradise area.

Thanks,
Tom
M-28 is paved and good going all the way across to where you pick up US2.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.3455...!7i3328!8i1664

This shows the corner at M-28 and the Deerfoot (123) that takes you to Paradise. The highways are all paved IIRC but its been a few years.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #27

In routing my trip around Lake Superior this summer, I discovered the dual Grand Marais issue. There is one between the Canadian border and Duluth, and another on the UP.

Tahquamenon Falls State Park is very nice. The Lower Falls campground can handle big rigs - we were there with 38' and toad, but there was no water service, nor sewer on sites. There was a nice dump station on the way out.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If the world is big enough for two Sault Ste Maries why not two of Grand Marais?