Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #1

Upper yosemite falls in a 36' class a dp

Hello, we are planning a trip to yosemite upper pines in July. My navigator gives me three options for the route from Murrieta, 15/215 split. Anyone have experience with this. Recommendations would be great for the up and down trip in addition to interesting stops along the way for us and the kids (10 & 12 years old).

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

We were in Yosemite last summer before July4th and it was packed! Not sure about your drive but we were in our toad and the traffic was rough!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Are you towing a car to get around with ? I've been there many times, but I don't camp there, that's just my choice.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My son worked as a chef at the Ahwanhee hotel in 2010 so we've camped at Upper Pines and did all of the routes in and out.

From down in Murrieta, your best option is 99 to Fresno and then take 41 into the park. There is a nice KOA in Coarsegold that I've stayed at and gives you a short ride into the park.

1. From 41 you will have to stop at Valley View which is right past the tunnel. Great view right down the valley.
2. If you and the kids are up to it, get your tickets for the Half Dome cables and make the 17 mile round trip hike. Spectacular views from the top. Two of my sons did the hike when they were 10 and 12.
3. See all the waterfalls. The hike up Yosemite Falls is very tough.
4. Float down the Merced River.
5. Take the Valley floor tour on the open bus.
6. Take the bus up to Glacier Point.
7. Go to a Ranger show at the campground.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #5

We have reservations at upper pine camgrounds, no toad, we plan on using the free bus service to get around. Sunday through Wednesday this summer. Thanks for the tips, that is so helpful I will mark those on our route.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #6

Sould I fill my water tanks before the trip, (110) gallons, then carry all that additional weight up those hills and the grapevine? Or fill when we get there, Wondering how to prepare for the trip?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I always run with full water just because you never know when you are going to break down and need the water for a few days.

There is a dump station when you pull in to Upper Pines. You should 'dump and pump' on your way in and encourage the kids to use the park facilities over your own toilet. Nothing worse than unhooking in the middle of your stay to visit the dump station!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote