Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
US Forest Service CG's

We stayed at Diamond Lake CG, OR, a Forest Service CG. This was not a Big Rig friendly CG. Diamond Lake is located north of Crater Lake National Park which was just gorgeous. We stayed at Diamond Lake because Crater Lake campground was still snowed in.

Diamond Lake has some large sites and the roads are narrow, but paved and OK for large RV's. The problem is trees are encroaching on the sides of the road, and they are not trimmed high enough over the road or at the sites, so, I was scraping trees as I twisted and turned through the CG. Not to mention they do not have a safe parking lot to unhook/hook up your Towed.

I stopped at another National Forest and asked if there was a national policy as far as trimming trees in the CG. The answer was, no, it is pretty much by Forest and maybe by Ranger District. Maybe the Forest Service is trying to exclude the large RV's? That's OK, but they should post it somewhere, "Not suitable for large RV's".

Now I was on a mission. I stopped at the Redwoods National Park, and asked what their policy was on trimming trees. Again, no policy. I took the resident Ranger out to the parking lot and showed him, where I was parked (in the RV spaces), and that his trees were 3 feet below the top of my rig. He was a nice guy and we had a good talk, he would put in a work order right away. He never considered large RVs, and I think that is the general consensus in my little study. Now, it's not just my Class A rig, I had a fifth wheel that was just as tall and wide.

What do you think? And what can we do about it?

Harold & Sandy Smith
'16 Anthem "B"/'13 Equinox
Smitty3509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Follow your example is the only thing to do. Voice concerns to someone of authority and hope they do as they say.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you may have started a crusade. Mind if we join the campaign? I think I will do the same at state parks. Especially with the way the budgets are being cut at parks to share the hurt deficits.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the previous posters, you've set a great example and path for the rest of us to follow!

2008 Tiffin AB 35TSB W24, 08 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Tow Bar & U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Yup I agree w/ the others. The forest campgrounds I've been to tend to be locally managed. So it depends on the local ranger, camp host or concessionaire (for public campgrounds that contract out the hosting). I've usually found the best option to be to talk to the local authorities & I think it's a good idea to take up that action plan. I'll sign on! Nina
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
We live in Bend Oregon and border the Deschutes National Forest and its many campgrounds. I am a proud retiree of the US Forest Service with 25 years and several national forest.
Here is the problem.....we love to camp in a little campground about 30 miles from our house up by Hosmer Lake. There are dead and dying trees all over the place due to pine beetles. The Forest Service is not allow to remove any of those trees, trim anything or that type of thing without a "impact statement" and alot of other "stuff.
Part of this is the enviromental community has them hammered down so hard they are literally not allowed to touch anything in the woods without going thru the courts or having massive public meetings.
They were going to do a prescribed burn out by Sisters Oregon one year due to the fuels on the ground and to help better protect the forest and potential fire danger. There was a big uprising and people complained there would be too much smoke! so it was not done...guess they would rather evacuate during a blazing forest fire than put up with a little smoke. Yes we have evacuated! not a pleasant experience.
You would think the National Park and the US Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Managment would pretty much be able to manage themselfs and the lands they oversee, but in recent years that has not been the case! The campground were built years ago and have not been updated for the bigger riggs that wish to use them and now with budget constraints there are no dollars to do such and often times laws restricting any type of change or improvement.

Also it would not be a matter of just doing it but with all the legal requirements likely never happen in our lifetime.
The key is to be actively involved in participating in having your voice heard and hopefully making a difference. See about volunteering and working with the local Forest that way.

Also contact your US Rep or State Senator, they are the ones making the laws the government agencies have to live by.
Find out who the Recreation Staff Officer is for the Forest you wish to see things changed and get a converation going with them. Find out what it takes or who it takes, everyone can make a difference.
There are many amazing and beautiful National Forests and National Parks for our use, we are very blessed.
Each Forest should have a listing of their campgrounds, the local fees and what they offer, in additional they often times will give the length of the camping spot...I know the National Parks do, both could also be found on line.
Years ago times were easier and if something needed to be trimmed or fixed it was just done. Unfortunately times and many laws have changed as have policies and many times its just not that simple. It should be but its not....
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I will add some pruning lopers to my RV equipment.
Cary McHugh & Stacey Fairchild
San Jose, CA Clovis , CA
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 3250BSL
sCarycary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Thanks BarkAvenue for your insight. I've been thinking, what if we organize a chapter in FMCA or some other national organization with the purpose of showing up at a CG as a weekend work detail to help with this issue? Raising the ceiling along the roads and larger camp sites, trimming trees along the edges of roads. We don't need to make the whole CG big rig friendly, only areas where the big ones will travel, we want tent sites to remain somewhat rustic and private.
Harold & Sandy Smith
'16 Anthem "B"/'13 Equinox
Smitty3509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
I carry a telescoping pole saw and ask if they would like to use my saw or let me trim offending limbs.Pp
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
I carry a telescoping pole saw and ask if they would like to use my saw or let me trim offending limbs.Pp
I too carry a saw, only I don't ask if it's OK to use it. From the folks I've delt with at the campgrounds, going to the john would be a huge decision. Why scew up their day.

NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote