Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Use Google Maps to find free Overnight RV Parking locations.

Google maps is the most widely used mapping program on the Internet and one of the reasons why is because of its ease of use and powerful features. Many RVers use Google Maps in the route planning process and to find locations such as fuel stops, RV parks, Wal-Mart locations and more.

How would you like to be able to enter a search term that would find all the RV parks and free overnight RV parking locations. Well, with a little help from fellow RVers entering their favorite free overnight stops into Google Maps, we can make it happen.

While exploring Google Map's features I found that you can add "Places" and make them instantly available to everyone using the Maps. It takes only a few moments to add a Place and by using a consistent naming convention they can be found easily by everyone.

To try it out, search in Google Maps for "Overnight RV Parking near Calgary, AB" to find the Southcenter Mall entry I added earlier today. You'll see it appear, with the "P" parking icon in the southern region of the city. If you click on the location name a tag marker will appear. Click on the tag marker for additional information.

Note: A Google Account (free) is required.

Go ahead and add your favorite free overnight RV parking locations:

-----------------------
Add an "Overnight RV Parking" location to Google Maps:

1) When signed into Google using your Google Account, open Google Maps to the location you would like to add.
2) Right-click on the location to bring up the right-click options menu.
3) Select "Add a missing place" from the right-click options menu.
4) The "Add a Place" data screen will appear, offering the following data fields. Fill them in as follows:

> Name: Enter "Overnight RV Parking"
Add an optional unique suffix such as a location name but use the "Overnight RV Parking for consistency and easier place identification.

> Address: Leave as-is. Google automatically enters the address.

> Category: Enter "Free Parking Lot".
Permitted entries are restricted to Google’s pre-configured categories.

> Phone: optional
If a Wal-Mart or other business location, enter their phone number, otherwise leave blank. This will assist others wishing to verify the place.

> Website: Leave blank

> Hours: optional

5) Press "Submit"
-----------------------

That is all there is to it. You can now check your entry by searching Google Maps for "Overnight RV Parking near <name of nearest city>"

Thanks for your help in enhancing the RV experience for all.

Ron_H
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is really cool! Would be great if it caught on.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes this a great idea! I edit google maps for local roads and features. I'm looking forward to our boondocking next fall, so I'm in!

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Free is nice and all, but what bugs me is how many RV parks and RV parking options near where I live are poorly listed online. I can name 4 or 5 within 25 miles of my house that I have to really dig for online to find listings and that is with knowing the names of the places. The chance a random RV operator would find them is low.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I believe the OP is suggesting you can correct that oversight by entering the locations yourself. Then we'd all be able to find them
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

All of the free parking guides are outdated eventually. City ordinances change and land ownership changes; businesses change. To have this possible incorrect information on Google Maps would be a disservice for someone following them. The listing would also need the recommended RV size and easy access information. One size doesn't fit all.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Carl, can I edit using an iPad?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Free is nice and all, but what bugs me is how many RV parks and RV parking options near where I live are poorly listed online. I can name 4 or 5 within 25 miles of my house that I have to really dig for online to find listings and that is with knowing the names of the places. The chance a random RV operator would find them is low.
I use the satellite view to find overnight parking. I'm not sure how often those are updated but only once did a pre chosen spot not work out. The spot was too far off level. I avoid Walmart (too noisy) and shopping malls (security chases you out). My favorite places are churches (but not on Saturday and Wednesday nights), small town city parks, schools in the summer and home improvement stores (quiet and dark after store closes).

I'm in a church parking lot tonight about 50 miles north of Phoenix.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hey Carl, can I edit using an iPad?
Using Google Maps and logging in, sure.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Overnightrvparking.com

I highly recommend subscribing to rvovernightparking.com ! It is very easy to find locations and members post a lot of good details about each spot. They give free extensions of your subscription when you tell them about a new spot or give a new update on ones they already have and that means they have lots of users adding info.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
I highly recommend subscribing to rvovernightparking.com ! It is very easy to find locations and members post a lot of good details about each spot. They give free extensions of your subscription when you tell them about a new spot or give a new update on ones they already have and that means they have lots of users adding info.
Here's a link. RV comes between night and parking, not at the beginning of the URL I have it bookmarked now, thanks!

https://www.overnightrvparking.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #12

I subscribed a few days ago, and found lots of gaps in potential cheap RV locations, such as no National Forest or State Parks are listed, instead it is mostly a map of Wal-Mart's and rest areas.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Isaac your correct, someone or everyone needs to add to the data base, so if you know of some ADD.

LEN
Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #14

I think you have a good idea, but there are already several places to look, I.e., Campendium and the Allstays app. These allow user updates, etc.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat