RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Utah Big 5 in 2020

Take twogypsies advice we did and itís the way to go. Anytime you can stay near or just outside the parks entrance itís well worth it.
Off subject some, if you drink beer bring your own into Utah. They only sell 3.2 unless you go to a state licensed liquor store and either way both are expensive.

2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Depends on what you want to explore from Cedar City and Moab.

If Zion, then stay in Zion itself at Watchman campground or just outside in Springdale where the free shuttle would pick you up.

Moab is good for Arches NP and Canyonlands but if you're thinking of others it would be too far.

If you want to do Bryce NP then move. Ruby's is good - just outside the park and again, the free shuttle will pick you up.

Capitol Reef NP deserves another move to that area.

It's best to stay in or near the national parks to make best use of your time. Driving a long way to spend a few hours in the park is tiresome. You probably wouldn't do it more than once and these parks deserve more time.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
We've been running hard for the past 3 weeks and looking to slow down.
I'll get started and see what's available in the areas you have mentioned.

As always, Thanks for you help and guidance.

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV

wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #59

At this point, we don't really have anything specific we must see or do, other than visit the parks.
We are not hikers or off roaders, so basically, drive by, short walk or tour bus...

I was thinking of Cedar City, or some other central location and Moab as hubs to go from.

Wm Mayberry
Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
We are leaving Yellowstone later this week, hoping to spend a couple of days at Gros Ventre outside of Jackson.
Then take a few days down to Utah.

At this point, I'm thinking of a week or so in the SW area. Like maybe Cedar City (?) to visit the parks in that area.
Then another week in Moab for that area.

Does that make any sense ?

And recommendations of places to stay would be appreciated.

Thanks for your ideas

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV

In the south west i would stay at the virgin river rv in virgin Utah. We stay there at least once a year and enjoy it every time
Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #61

Finally completed my reservations and would like to thank everyone for their input.

Weíre starting in mid May 2020 and may add places as we see fit.

* 5 nights at the Grand Canyon Trailer Village.
*5 nights at Zion River Resorts for that area.
* 6 nights at Rubyís for Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome and however far I can drive the Rubicon.
*5 nights at Portal RV Resort for the Arches, Moab etc.
*3 nights at Morefield Campground for Mesa Verde.

From there, weíll start heading back to Florida.

I did look at Watchman campground but they wouldnít take my reservations until November and we feel more comfortable having all places reserved in advance.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Finally completed my reservations and would like to thank everyone for their input.

We’re starting in mid May 2020 and may add places as we see fit.

* 5 nights at the Grand Canyon Trailer Village.
*5 nights at Zion River Resorts for that area.
* 6 nights at Ruby’s for Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome and however far I can drive the Rubicon.
*5 nights at Portal RV Resort for the Arches, Moab etc.
*3 nights at Morefield Campground for Mesa Verde.

From there, we’ll start heading back to Florida.

I did look at Watchman campground but they wouldn’t take my reservations until November and we feel more comfortable having all places reserved in advance.
Great, I have got to started on mine. I will be a few weeks earlier than you. I wanted to confirm my dates won't get me in trouble (weather) first. I also want to be in Yellowstone before the summer crowds.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #63

Ray, I did Yellowstone this year - early June - and the crowds were not bad, but be prepared to do some serious hiking to see the attractions. The place is also huge and youíll be doing a lot of driving. The main entrance road from Grizzly RV Park was the first place that we saw a grizzly bear playing in the water. Really loved Yellowstone.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Ray, I did Yellowstone this year - early June - and the crowds were not bad, but be prepared to do some serious hiking to see the attractions. The place is also huge and youíll be doing a lot of driving. The main entrance road from Grizzly RV Park was the first place that we saw a grizzly bear playing in the water. Really loved Yellowstone.
In my RVTW routing I will be at Grizzly the first week of June. This will have me at GC (Trailer Village) the last week of April. I know the weather is unpredictable, but I would like an average at least.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #65

What are the roads (9) like from La Verkin to Zion River and, I guess on over to Bryce?
It's hard to tell on a map.

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #66

The recommendations that I received from Zion to Bryce are:

Take 9 west to 15 north. East on 20 to 89 south. East on 12.

According to my Garmin, from Zion River Resort to Rubyís RV Park is 133 miles and about 2 1/2 drive.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #67

Hwy 9 from I-15 to Zion is a good two-lane highway. No problem for big rigs.

To get from Zion River RV to Bryce you have three choices:

- drive into Zion NP and continue on Hwy 9 to Hwy 89 at Mt. Carmel, UT. Doing this you'll have a steep uphill off the Zion Canyon floor and then a couple tunnels. There are RV restrictions for the tunnels so read carefully: https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm It's a beautiful drive if you qualify. For motorhomes you can always disconnect and drive separately if you're close to length limit. For big rigs they hold up traffic at both ends and you will drive down the center of the tunnels. Know your height!

- You could backtrack on Hwy 9 to I-15 then north on I-15 to Hwy 20 west to Hwy 89. Then south just beyond Panguitch, UT and east on Hwy 12 to Bryce. Good drive.

- You could take Hwy 9 west to Hurricane then UT59 to Colorado City, UT and continue onward. The Hwy # will change to AZ389. Take it to AZ89 at Fredonia then north on 89 and east on UT Hwy 12. It's a pretty drive and a good highway. If you have time spend a night or two in Kanab, UT and take a tour of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (make a reservation). It's in a gorgeous setting and you would not believe the facility! Highly recommended. In Kanab is also Coral Pink Sands State Park. It has a campground but just a drive through is an experience to see the color of the sand dunes. You could also easily visit Grand Canyon North Rim from Fredonia and go south. Beautiful drive!

We've done all three ways.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #68

We just got a reservation at the Portal RV Resort in Moab for next week.
I was lucky to get it.

Is it going to be as busy in the Bryce and Zion areas in a couple of weeks?

Wm
Old 08-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #69

We were in Moab this past April. If your interested in a couple of backroads day trip, there is Onion Creek road off of route 128 northeast of town. It goes up a canyon and crosses a creek around 38 times. If you follow it all the way it loops back around and comes out on the south side of town near the KOA. The other is route 279 that heads west off of route 191 goes by the Potash ponds and ends up at Canyonlands NP inside the entrance. Lots of switchbacks as it climbs out of the river area. Plenty of viewing places to stop.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
We just got a reservation at the Portal RV Resort in Moab for next week.
I was lucky to get it.

Is it going to be as busy in the Bryce and Zion areas in a couple of weeks?

Wm
Elevation is everything in the Utah parks. Bryce is high, and it starts cooling off making it a bit less popular. Zion and Moab are lower and hot as blazes in summer, so spring and fall are the busy times there.

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote