Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Taking notes of all the above (Koda... and Portal). Is it better to visit say May 1st to 21 or Sept. 10th to 30th...temperatures, crowds, campsite availability. The only time I have visited Utah was to ski either March or April....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #16

Hurricane UT walmart parking lot is one of the nicest views we've had when overnighting at wallyworld : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #17

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/

Dead Horse Point State Park is really unique and neat. The terrain is exceptional. There's even a story behind the name of the park.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We were in Utah this past summer. We stayed in Moab at the KOA, for Arches and Canyonland Parks. Plus there is so much to do in Moab. In Bryce we stayed at Rubys. We made reservations there. Zion is about 1 hr from Bryce.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Out of the BIG 5 (Arches, Canyonland, Capitol, Bryce and Zion). What kind of weather can I expect? May 1 thru 21st....Or is May 1st too early?

Two things I'm pondering. #1 Until recently, I didn't realize these are in the high desert where it can get to 100 degrees in the summer. (true / false?) #2 Being retired and more flexible in our travel times when is the prime time people visit these areas? I would like to stay away from the crowds.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Out of the BIG 5 (Arches, Canyonland, Capitol, Bryce and Zion). What kind of weather can I expect? May 1 thru 21st....Or is May 1st too early?

Two things I'm pondering. #1 Until recently, I didn't realize these are in the high desert where it can get to 100 degrees in the summer. (true / false?) #2 Being retired and more flexible in our travel times when is the prime time people visit these areas? I would like to stay away from the crowds.
Arches/Canyonlands - you want to avoid Jeep Safari time. Look it up for dates. Easter weekend is always busy at all the parks. Look at the Arches web site and you can read about the construction which will be going on all summer. The campground will be totally closed. It would be best to plan on touring the park early morning in the summer - like 6 or 7am.

All the parks are busy all the time. You won't have 'alone time'. They are the reason foreign travelers come to the U.S. and they go from park to park. Temperature can be over 100 deg in summer from May through September. Bryce is the coolest but can still have warm days.

Google 'weather history for ......' to get an idea.

We prefer the parks in October.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #21

Quote:

IMHO you will see Crowds in May. It is not Too Early. Maybe a little too Late.

#1 Until recently, I didn't realize these are in the high desert where it can get to 100 degrees in the summer. (true / false?) True, actually can get to 110-120 at times in the summer. HOT.

#2 Being retired and more flexible in our travel times when is the prime time people visit these areas? I would like to stay away from the crowds. As has been said - these are year round Parks - We have enjoyed these as Winter Locations - one year on December 21st we hiked to the top of Angels landing in Shorts and T's the next day in Bryce we walked in the Snow Storm among the Hoo Doo's to see a spectacular Sunset, as it stopped snowing and cleared. So it just depends on what works for you - we still hike and enjoy the ability to "Touch and be Among the NP's" and we avoid the crowds.

You need to remember that in the Winter it Snows in the High Desert - so keep your eye's on the Weather. Summer is to be in the Mountains for us and Winter is usually trying to avoid the Heavy Snow. The spring and the Fall are for travel.

JMHO

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
For Bryce, I highly recommended Kodachrome Basin SP. Large sites with lots of privacy and it is an experience in itself. It's a great launching point for Bryce and the surrounding area.

For Zion try to get a spot at Watchman. It's has large sites with some privacy and is a short walk to to your buses. We got our 45' in with room to spare. Our site only had 30A and water but it was more than adequate.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
For Bryce, I highly recommended Kodachrome Basin SP.
Yup I got that one on the list...

Did a little weather history on the big 5.

~ Arches
May 1st. ave. high 71 ave. low 46
May 15th. ave high 77 ave. low 50
June 1st. ave. high 81 ave. low 55
June 15th. ave. high 93 ave. low 58

~ Moab (city)
May 1st. ave. high 78 ave. low 46
May 15th. ave. high 83 ave. low 50
June 1st. ave. high 88 ave. low 54
June 15th ave. high 93 ave. low 58

~ Bryce
May 1st. ave. high 59 ave. low 33
May 15th. ave. high 64 ave. low 37
June 1st. ave. high 70 ave. low 41
June 15th ave. high 75 ave. low 45

~ Canyonlands
May 1st. ave. high 72 ave. low 42
May 15th. ave. high 78 ave. low 48
June 1st. ave. high 84 ave. low 52
June 15th. ave. high 89 ave. low 57

~ Capitol Reef
May 1st. ave. high 70 ave. low 44
May 15th. ave. high 75 ave. low 48
June 1st. ave. high 80 ave. low 53
June 15th ave. high 86 ave. low 58

~ Zion
May 1st. ave. high 67 ave. low 38
May 15th ave. high 73 ave. low 42
June 1st. ave high 78 ave. low 46
June 15th. ave. high 83 ave. low 51
Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #24

Last year in. Sept we spent two weeks at Palisade State Park. They were in a drought so the lake was way down but the leafs were changing and views were gorgeous. Full hookup.
The park backs up to a beautiful 18 hole course. Staying at the CG gets you Greens + cart for 17
The CG and Course pretty busy on weekend but thru the is wide open.
The only down side is store about 25mi away

I will go go back
ThatWaySulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Definitely plan on multiple sites if you want to visit the "Mighty Five", and definitely plan on getting to some of the wonderful national monuments and state parks. The issue in southern Utah isn't latitude but elevation. Zion is very low while Bryce is pretty high. That affects the weather tremendously. How long are you taking? Full hookups, partial hookups, or dry camping? What interests do you have? Utah is a pretty big place!
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
How long are you taking? Full hookups, partial hookups, or dry camping? What interests do you have? Utah is a pretty big place!
Hiking, picture taking, relaxing, but not so much shopping. the DW hates "shopping". I must have one of those weird spouse. Three things she don't like crowds, shopping and jewelry.

This is actually for a 2018 trip. We have a 6 week trip planned for Yellowstone, Tetons & Mammoth Caves for this spring. Starting early because some state parks take reservations up to a year ahead of time.

We plan for at least 3 weeks (maybe 4) next May for the Utah big 5. We'll do a combination of dry camping sprinkled in with a campground here and there to fully charge the batteries, do laundry and fill the water tank. More like 4- 5 days at a dry site like a national park campground, state or BLM. Then 2-3 days at a state or private campground with services.

Back a month or two ago when I first called the Yellowstone National Park for campsites this May, they said it was sold out for 2017....I said I had a 26' RV trailer. The reservation rep said I could wait till May and make a reservation for YS for 2018. Only reason she said they were sold out was because they said I had to take a 45' site to fit my 26' tt in. And all those were gone. After reading some threads on IRV2, I was able to call again and get a slightly shorter site. So I have to find out how far I'll have to reserve for Utah for a 2018 trip.

Some state parks reserve out 5 months, some 6 months and some a year out.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Zion River Resort outside of Hurricane.
One of our favorites!
Old 01-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Hiking, picture taking, relaxing, but not so much shopping. the DW hates "shopping". I must have one of those weird spouse. Three things she don't like crowds, shopping and jewelry.
We must be some of the few lucky ones in that respect. Mine likes scuba diving, whitewater rafting, drag boat racing, but hates crowds, shopping, and likes minimal jewelry.

One more UT camping area. We really enjoyed the BLM campground, Kens Lake, while in Moab. Incredibly large spaces and quiet. Moab itself is pretty rambunctious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3201.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	148981  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, campground