Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Utah; Something Different

We have previously done the Big 5, Moab, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, and Kodachrome Basin SP. We are looking for something different, preferably in southern UT. Anybody have any suggestions for a few places for the 2nd half of Oct? Interest are hiking, biking, fly fishing, and enjoyment of shear beauty. Prefer NF, SP, and BLM's. FHU's would be nice but not necessary for the entire time. I'm finding a lot of places booked up.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Lone Rock Beach (primitive camping in southern UT, just north of Page, AZ) was a place that we targeted earlier this year. I had a medical issue and was grounded, so we didn’t go. So I can’t personally attest to this place, but it might meet your expectations. We hope to head there next year.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/camping.htm
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
We have previously done the Big 5, Moab, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, and Kodachrome Basin SP. We are looking for something different, preferably in southern UT. Anybody have any suggestions for a few places for the 2nd half of Oct? Interest are hiking, biking, fly fishing, and enjoyment of shear beauty. Prefer NF, SP, and BLM's. FHU's would be nice but not necessary for the entire time. I'm finding a lot of places booked up.
Another vote for Lake Powell - Check into RT 95 where it crosses the upper end of the lake.Been a good while since we were there but we Loved it and it was Different.

If not there then any other spot on or along the lake would be good. Really think it is Your Kind of Place.

Only other area that is often Missed is Flaming Gorge NRA and Dino NM.

Think you would enjoy the Green River and all the wild areas around there,

Let us Know what you decide, Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #4

I live one mile from Lone Rock beach. Its a good place to go now that most of the summer and holidays are over. Not "too" crowded. Stay to the left of the road down to the beach as there is a lot of blown in soft drift sand to the right.
Gas and supplies to an extent can be found just south of the lone Rock turn off at the 76 gas station (about 1 mi south)

You might look at Tropic Res., Panguitch Lake, There's a nice simple campground at Pine Lake UT, and the Dixie Forest is just north for colors in the fall.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #5

No hookups but Lee's Ferry campground on the Colorado has excellent fly fishing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
So far we have 4 days at Willow Wind in Hurricane and a week at Kanab RV Corral. Looking to fill in the blanks with some dry camping. The Panguich area is a possibility. I was looking at Red Canyon Campground. Lone Rock is also a possibility because we would like to finish up around Page before we head back to Phoenix (Chandler) for a boat race. Lee's Ferry is another. I was there on my 50th BD starting a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon. I would enjoy doing some more fly fishing and watching the rafts head down the river, other than wishing I was on one of them.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Lone Rock Beach (primitive camping in southern UT, just north of Page, AZ) was a place that we targeted earlier this year. I had a medical issue and was grounded, so we didn’t go. So I can’t personally attest to this place, but it might meet your expectations. We hope to head there next year.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Quote:
$14 per vehicle per night. No reservations. Camping fee does not include entrance fee, and entrance fee does not include camping.
So does this mean $28 / night for RV and tow?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Lees Ferry has a "walk in " area for fly fishing if you don't have a boat or a guide. Lees Ferry Anglers can supply a guide and boat for a morning of fishing and they do very well at it. The walk in area is just before you get to the main parking lot inbound on the road. It is a wide area of the river, mostly riffles, that half the time does very good. Lees Ferry Anglers usually has a fishing report for the river on their website. Its usually accurate. You can get the Lake Powell report on wayneswords.net

The LF camp ground gets very good reviews for a basic camp ground and usually has no one there to speak of. Quiet.

If you want to do Page and Lake Powell check into the Wahweap Campground inside the Rec Area. They have some FHUs (mostly not) and a good view of the lake.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
So does this mean $28 / night for RV and tow? [emoji33]

Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to your question. We haven’t stayed there yet. If you PM Cliffy (post #8 on this thread), he might know.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Lees Ferry has a "walk in " area for fly fishing if you don't have a boat or a guide. Lees Ferry Anglers can supply a guide and boat for a morning of fishing and they do very well at it. The walk in area is just before you get to the main parking lot inbound on the road. It is a wide area of the river, mostly riffles, that half the time does very good. Lees Ferry Anglers usually has a fishing report for the river on their website. Its usually accurate. You can get the Lake Powell report on wayneswords.net

The LF camp ground gets very good reviews for a basic camp ground and usually has no one there to speak of. Quiet.

If you want to do Page and Lake Powell check into the Wahweap Campground inside the Rec Area. They have some FHUs (mostly not) and a good view of the lake.
Thanks Cliffy. Funny you should mention Lee's Ferry Anglers. The owner and guide of the shop I used in South Fork, CO guided there for 10 years. He spoke highly of them. I will definitely check them out and get some advice and buy a few flies from them. How far up / down river can you get w/o a boat?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #11

We've stayed at Lee's Ferry campground and there's a trail from there upriver a few miles.

If you ever do the rafting trip the section from the bottom of Bright Angel Trail in Grand Canyon Nat'l Park is wilder! We did it and loved it! Yes, you have to hike down the trail. The ones starting at Lee's Ferry had to walk UP the trail or do the longer full trip. Down was tough enough. Do the oar boats; not the motor boats. Ended at Peach Springs, AZ. We chose the second trip of the season so the outfitters could use the first trip to find any river hazards from the winter. A trip of your lifetime!!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #12

Do you have the yearly national park pass? That would get you in free. Then you'd have the camping fee. If you leave your car connected to the MH it should only be considered one vehicle.

If you stay at Lone Rock I'd suggest not driving down to the beach area to park with your rig. The lake is low and there are some soft sand areas. We always stayed on the bluff on the left just past the fee entrance booth.... beautiful views right in front of Lone Rock. You can easily take a stroll down to the beach from there.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've stayed at Lee's Ferry campground and there's a trail from there upriver a few miles.

If you ever do the rafting trip the section from the bottom of Bright Angel Trail in Grand Canyon Nat'l Park is wilder! We did it and loved it! Yes, you have to hike down the trail. The ones starting at Lee's Ferry had to walk UP the trail or do the longer full trip. Down was tough enough. Do the oar boats; not the motor boats. Ended at Peach Springs, AZ. We chose the second trip of the season so the outfitters could use the first trip to find any river hazards from the winter. A trip of your lifetime!!
We did the upper canyon on my 50th with the hike out on Bright Angel. Then the next year we did the lower canyon with the hike in. I thought the hike down was worse than the hike up. We will do the full canyon and skip the hike next time.

I think we are going to stay at Lee's Ferry for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	218437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	218438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	218439  
Old 09-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #14

Do not unhook prior to the entry booth. If you do you pay double. I found out the hard way at Lone Rock in May.