Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #1

Anybody ever dry camped at a VA Hospital? I have surgery and appointments on two different days and it's about a 3-hour drive from home to Palo Alto. While they do have a HomeTel, I prefer to take the motorhome and drycamp in the parking lot.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #2

Anybody ever dry camped at a VA Hospital? I have surgery and appointments on two different days and it's about a 3-hour drive from home to Palo Alto. While they do have a HomeTel, I prefer to take the motorhome and drycamp in the parking lot.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 01-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #3

Call your local VA rep.
Chet
Old 01-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #4

More like call the hospital. My Dad went to the Asheville NC one and they had some that were in the parking lot (under construction so how much rest could they have gotten) but there was a RV park a block of so down the street. Gave special rates to the patients & families. When Dad was taken up to Richmond VA, there wasn't a single RV in the lot. They would allow it (from an orderly) but that hospital was in a bad area of town. The orderly said it was dangerous after dark and he wouldn't stay in the parking lot even though many did (so far he said no problems). He even asked where we were staying. He told us to get in our room before dark and don't go out, even to get ice or if the car alarm went off. Hotel manager basically told us the same thing (or rather me since mom was looking pretty fragile on that trip).

But that hospital was in a bad part of town. Coming in to the hospital we had to detour thru the surrounding neighbourhood. We ended up a few cars behind a school bus. No one was outside (nice weather) and all the kids, as they got off the school bus, hit the sidewalk at a dead run and didn't stop until they got to a house. Even my mom commented that it seemed to be a "little run-down" (my dad was transported in an ambulance from NC for surgery... she was a little upset). I told her to watch the kids when they got off the bus. She thought it was strange. I thought I was in Highland Park (bad part of Chattanooga).

Call the hospital... they would know more about the problems they have in their neighborhood & if there is a nearby RV park that it would be safer for you to stay in.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #5

Well, I was mainly talking about Palo Alto in California. I haven't been to any other VA hospitals yet. I'm sure I will once we're on the road as I have to have blood test every month. Yes, that's a good idea about calling. I've seen a couple MHs in the parking lot at Palo Alto. This hospital is very close to Stanford University. In fact, most of the medical personnel come from Stanford Medical. It's an excellent facility. I also go to Livermore Hospital for some stuff. It's part of the Palo Alto system and is a bit more than halfway to Palo Alto.

I was really just suggesting that any vets going to a VA hospital might want to consider it. Palo Alto and Livermore both have HomeTel. Of course the veteran has first choice. Dependents have to register daily if their veteran is not with them in the HomeTel. They don't advertise about HomeTel, so ask your doctor or social worker at the hospital.

Any veterans out there can find lots of information at www.VietnamVeterans391.org

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #6

I took my Mh (one time) to the VA in Richmond---I was told no you can't take up several places and don't come here again with a Motorhome it's dangerous too.I live 105 miles away and was going to visit friends 25 miles away on the north side Richmond.I just take the saturn all the time now.
rich
Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #7

Well, every time I went to Palo Alto, I saw a MH parked in the South 40. Went there last week and parked ours next to one already there. We took up two spaces, in the back corner of the lot. No problems. We were there for two nights. We didn't put out the awning or chairs or anything and nobody came by and said anything. The guy next to me was in the hospital the day after we arrived. His wife was in the motorhome and was still there when we left.

I think it must be somewhat like Wal*Mart. Don't "camp", just park unobtrusively. I'm sure if we had parked up near the main building, we would have been run off. I'm sure they don't want to have 6 or 7 MHs parked back there, but 1 or 2 is fine. I drive over 130 miles to get to Palo Alto and when I have appointments on two separate days, I like to stay over even though I get travel pay. We usually stay at HomeTel, but I wanted the extra comfort because of the foot surgery and didn't want to rent a hotel room.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I work for for VA's around the country and very often people do park in their lots overnight BUT most are smaller Rv's. And yes, you must contact them and get permission to do so.

Parking is at a premium at most VA's these days and many do not have the space to accomodate overnight RV parking. Hospital security will tag your motorhome if you do not get permission to park your RV there.

The hospital I work at in Tacoma doesn't even have enough parking for cars let alone a large Class A.

Oh, and yes, you must talke to the agency, NOT your rep. They have no authority to approve this. First, contact security at the hospital and if they can't approve it they can steer you in the right direction of who to call.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote