Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #1

Does this campground close for winter, and if so, when? It is one of the Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #2

Does this campground close for winter, and if so, when? It is one of the Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live and work near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Roanoke and yes, all the Parkway campgrounds in this area closed today, Oct. 30, at noon.

If you will be in this area I can give you some alternatives. Unfortunately, there are few campgrounds in the immediate Roanoke metro area. Roanoke Mountain is within minutes of downtown Roanoke but in a very nice setting.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #4

Thanks! I am pretty familiar with the area. I am only intending to be in the area for a night, so I will probably layover, unplugged, in a vacant lot somewhere. I am open to suggestions about that - even in the city is OK.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Gary, for my future use (and maybe theirs) does the Salem Walmart allow Wally-docking?

I have some friends that live close to there and I've oft wondered about jumping off and visiting...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob and Tinkerrerknit:

I've seen RV's at the Walmarts both in Salem and at Valley View Mall off I-581. There is also a Lowe's store on Rt. 220 just south of Roanoke and I've seen a motorhome in their lot on occassion.

FYI, if either of you find it convenient to ever travel Rt. 460 East out of Roanoke, there are three full hook up RV sites at the Bedford Area Visitor's Center at the intersection of Rt. 122 and 460 (the exit to the National D-Day Memorial). Sites have 50amp, water and sewer, first come/first served basis, and are $20 - $25 per night. You can dump and fill there for $5.

We just don't have many RV options in our metro area. I did recently discover that someone is building a new RV park on Liberty Mountain just off Rt. 460 in Lynchburg. Expected to be open Spring/Summer 2007.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #7

I really appreciate that,smlranger. Is there a Walmart at Valley View? I didn't know about the RV area at the Bedford Visitor Center. Several times as freezing temps approached, I had to hustle to find a place to dump my holding tanks. That will probably be useful to me. About the Salem Walmart - a family member and his wife stayed there often as they traveled back and forth visiting various locations. One night, they were awakened by a crash, boom, and cold air. As I heard it, the lot sweeper operator either had a seizure or fell asleep and crashed into their motorhome! There was very extensive damage to the RV. No one was hurt much, though. I stay in their lots in several places, and I really appreciate that privilege.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tinkerreknit:
I really appreciate that,smlranger. Is there a Walmart at Valley View? I didn't know about the RV area at the Bedford Visitor Center. Several times as freezing temps approached, I had to hustle to find a place to dump my holding tanks. That will probably be useful to me. About the Salem Walmart - a family member and his wife stayed there often as they traveled back and forth visiting various locations. One night, they were awakened by a crash, boom, and cold air. As I heard it, the lot sweeper operator either had a seizure or fell asleep and crashed into their motorhome! There was very extensive damage to the RV. No one was hurt much, though. I stay in their lots in several places, and I really appreciate that privilege. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there is a Super Walmart at Valley View. Their lot is fairly big. Never had a lot sweeper hit my rig but have certainly been awakened a few times by them.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, the route of choice for me to get to the Salem/Roanoke area is to take 58 from here over to 460 and then run 460 all the way....Might not be the "best" route,but it sure is simple.

Funny story time.....when I was on the "job" we had a brother firefighter that owned a few of those lot sweepers and we always tried to pry the locations out of him so we could "decorate" one of the lots he cleaned, before his arrival....NEVER WOULD tell us those locations!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:

460 is pretty much a straight shot for you. When we go to Richmond, we take 460 E. to Appomattox, Rt. 24 over to Mt. Rush at Rt. 60, 60 E. to 288 at Midlothian, 288 to I64 (usually visiting Julia's family off Parham Rd. in the West End). If we are heading to Williamsburg, we just hit 295 to 64.

This route is our favorite...not really sure why but we just like the roads.