Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #1

Planning a trip this spring from VA to the Florida Keys with stops planned but not limited to: Savanna, Orlando, Florida Keys. Any advice on Campgrounds along the way or in any of these locations would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #2

Planning a trip this spring from VA to the Florida Keys with stops planned but not limited to: Savanna, Orlando, Florida Keys. Any advice on Campgrounds along the way or in any of these locations would be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Big D,
Can you provide some additional information?
1. Where in VA will you be leaving from?
2. What are your interests?
3. How much time to you have?
4. Adults only or are minor children in your party?

There is so much offered from VA to Key West, the information would be valuable to narrow recommendations to what will benefit you the most.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #4

Two adults and one 10 year old kid. We usually travel with the dogs (all three of them) but since we are going to do Disney we will be away from the camper too much for it to be fair to them. We are from Central VA but won't make our first stop until Savanna. We are going to spend a day or two there and then head for Disney. Probably 4 days at Disney then off to the Keys. We have two weeks for our trip.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

We did Savannah last year on the way to see Mickey and Minnie as well. We stayed for three days and two nights in Whispering Pines Campground in nearby Rincon,GA. It's a short distance the other side of the Interstate from Savannah,but not really any big deal to get to.
While it's a decent and clean campground,it's certainly not a "destination" park and truly good only as a base camp to see Savannah.
My wife and I have a 10yo daughter who loved visiting Savannah. We purchased day hopper trolley passes which enables you to ride along the tour route and when you see something you just get off the trolley...Very interesting guided tour which covers the basic history of Savannah and it's buildings. Several nice places to eat along the waterfront.
You drive your vehicle downtown (maps at campground office) and park at the trolley depot.
We leave Virginia Beach and hit Savannah for the night most anytime we head to Florida.
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Big D,
I have not been to Savannah in such a long time that I can offer no advice. DW and the Keys is another story.

DW
1. Call DW now to see if you can get a space a FTW. If there is no room at FTW, try Tropical Palms in Kissimmee. Please make your CG reservation now. 4 days will go fast at DW. Let us know where your CG reservation for the DW area is and I can provide additional family entertainment. It is important to know where you are staying because getting around the area can be a traffic nighmare. Therefore, entertainment is centered around attractions near your CG.

2. This may sound redundant, but call now for CG reservations. I like Sunshine Key CG. It is at mile marker 39. At mile marker 59 you can swim with the Dolphins. All water activities are available in the Keys. From Key West there is a boat ride to the Dry Torgugas. It is a nice day trip. There is also a glass bottom boat ride. More fishing than you can ever believe. Duval Street, in Key West, is where all the action is, day and night. Parking is an adventure. There are public owned parking buildings. I can provide specific directions, if you need them. One must go to the Southern most point in the contenental USA and get your picture take at the bouy marker.

As you finalize your plans, let me know the specific questions you have.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #7

We booked all of our campgrounds today. Let me know if I made a mistake on any of the choices.
Skidaway Island State Park (Savanna)
Sherwood Forest (Kissimmee) FTW was already full for April
Long Key State Park (Keys)
Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Sherwood and Long Key should be fine. I have no knowledge of Skidaway.

At Sherwood, you are right in the middle of all the tourist action. RT 192 is a blessing or a curse (traffic) but it has a lot to offer. Outside of DW and near Sherwood there is:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Camping World - Well,,,,okay not exactly a tourist attraction, but it is a great place to visit.
<LI>Gatorland - The name says it all. If you want to see the real Florida natives this is a good 1/2 day attraction. You'll think differently about Gators after you see their show.
<LI>Medieval Times Dinner & Show. Knights of the round table rescue the damsal in distress as you have a fine dinner as King Arthur would have eaten.
<LI>Old Town - Saturday night drive (old classic cars), bungie cord rides, midway rides, neat shops and a couple of restaurants.[/list]All the above are on or near Rt 192 and Sherwood.

As for the Keys, at Long Key, you are about 1/2 the way to Key West.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Dolphin Research Center
If you want to swim with the Dolphins call now for reservations. They are at mile marker 59 (I think).
<LI>Long Key is a good ways (about 70 miles) from Key West (remember 45 mph most of the way). Consider doing the stuff in my previous post and you will have a great time. Call now and reserve the boat rides if that is of interest to you. Google the activity and the vendors will be displayed. [/list]If you have an specific questions, post here of PM me.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #9

Thanks Gary. We will definately be checking out your suggestions. My wife was already looking for the dolphin thing. She went once before but it was somewhere in Key Largo. As far as Long Key. We picked it because it was right on the beach and we were looking to do nothing for 3-4 days but Margaritas, beach and relax.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:39 AM   #10

Skidaway is a nice place but bring some bug spray .... you will probably be ok in april though but they get bad in the summer
It can be a bear to get to so be sure to watch the road signs and hope the traffic is not too bad .... If you change your mind there is a KOA just South of Savannah which is pretty nice

The others are great ... enjoy and welcome to Florida

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Big D,
Your plan may work for the adults, but the 10 year old may need something to help burn energy without driving you nuts.

Good luck, I know you'll have a great time.