Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Vacation near Franklin & Sylva, NC

We are looking for a different place for vacation near the Smokes. I'm sure some of you have visited Moonshine Creek Campground near Sylva, NC. What do you think of it?
Also, what can you tell me about Cullasaja River RV Park near Franklin, NC?
Will my Winnebago Adventurer with a 454 engine make the grade on the hills?
I have driven it to Cherokee via US 441. But, I don't know if the hills from Franklin to Sylva are too long or if the grade is too great.
Thanks, for information.

Me & my Hun RVing for fun!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

I can't comment on Moonshine Cg because I have never been there and probably won't ever go there. I prefer the campgrounds on the Blue Ridge Parkway even though they have no hookups but they do have water available and a dump station. There are other campgrounds along the parkway exists though if you need full hookups.

With regard to Franklin campgrounds there are about 2 or 3 good ones there, however I don't remember their names and would suggest you scout them out yourself. On the way to Franklin the hills are not to dificult for your RV. The scenery is beautiful especially if you go in the fall with all the colors.

As far as your 454 engine goes it should pull most of the hills no matter where you go, however I have to recomend that you use the gears going up and down the hills and not just leave it in drive and let the tranny do the work. I have been up and down those hills towing a car and always downshift on the way up. When the speed gets below 52 I shift out of overdrive and when it goes down to 45 I go ito 3rd and then 2nd if need be.

We hope you enjoy your vacation in God's Country and while here should go to Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park with cg's in Cherokee or in the park.

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
River vista is not to far away.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
I'd second River Vista in Dillard, GA as the best option in the area you are asking about. Ome mile from the NC state line, it is just 20 minutes south of Franklin. We stayed at Moonshine Creek years ago with a travel trailer. I think it would be a bit tight for a 36 foot motorhome. Stayed at Cullasaga River years ago as well...many of the folks there are permanent seasonal folks. If you must be in Franklin, the Great Outdoors RV Resort would be our pick.
Jeff Boldt
Co-pilot: Barbie
Boldtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Beautiful area and you should be able to go from Sylva to Franklin with no problem. But do not continue in the motor home on down to Hwy 64. Narrow road, twists and turns and lots of "can openers" as we call the rocks that stick out in the road. We know of people who went on that road in motor homes and really opened up the side of the motor home. Beautiful drive in the car tho.
Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We stayed in Cullasaga last year and enjoyed it. Mostly seasonal, but nice. We stayed at Fort Tatham in Sylva a few weeks ago. The spots are tight, but we had a pull through and had no problems. They have a pool and activies and the folks that run it are very nice. I would choose Fort Tatham of the two. Hope you enjoy your trip. The mountains are beautiful.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can I negotiate 441 over the mountain from Gatlinburg to Cherokee in a 38 ft motorhome with all of the curves and steep grades or should I go to I-40 and take the long way around?
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the helpful replies. We love the area in late October and early November. Last year we camped (stayed) at "The Great Outdoors RV Resort" near Franklin, NC for awhile then relocated to "Creekwood RV Resort" near Helen, GA. There is a great small restaurant "Ain't B's" across the street from Creekwood.
I remember there is a long long hill just north of Franklin. I maxed the hill at 35 mph towing a Saturn Vue. On that trip we stayed at "Flaming Arrow RV Campground". I don't remember if there are other hills as long with a grade to match that one between there and Sylva. I don't like pushing my luck.
I have traveled by motor home towing a toad from Helen, GA to Hiawassee, GA several times with no problem. But, those hills are relatively short.
I thank you all for your comments and tips.

Me & my Hun RVing for fun!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote