Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Vacation Planning - Arizona, Colorado, Utah

My wife and I are planning a family vacation with our two daughters (ages 10 and 14). Coming from Toronto, Ontario, we are looking to plan a trip through Colorado, Utah, Arizona, with Yellowstone National Park being our last stop before heading home.

What are the "must do's" in these states? Where would be the best places to stay?
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
When are you heading out? How much time do you have?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #3

We are planning the trip in August 2019 and have only about two and a half weeks - including the six day round trip from Toronto.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #4

That is not much time for such a long trip. You might want to hit Yellowstone next time. We left Muskoka Ontario, and picked up route 66 at St. Louis.In Arizona we followed it past the Beringer Crater, The Painted Desert and Petrified forest. Then on to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. This took us close to a week alone traveling about six hours a day. The Grand Canyon is a long way. It is probably 36 hours of straight driving from Toronto. One hour south of Flagstaff is Sedona. It is very picturesque. I would concentrate on maybe the Grand Canyon, Page Arizona, Monument Valley Utah, Zion Np, Bryce Canyon area. Maybe pick up a bit of Colorado on the way home. Maybe make Colorado and Yellowstone a different trip. It sounds like you are trying to put too much into one trip. Too much driving ruins the trip. If you have to drive 12 plus hours a day, for many days, the trip will wear you down. The areas you want to see are some of the most beautiful in the world. Better to not rush too much. Cheers.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

I'm a "drive guy". Meaning I like doing 6-800 miles a day when traveling long distances. Probably due to living in Houston where everything is a day away to get out of the state going West. LOL.. So it's different for me. Outside of corn and pumpkins until you get to OK City, I'd hammer it down and then spend more time where it is awesome.

I would skip Yellowstone too. Lots on the plate already.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #6

If I were going to those states, I would not miss the RMNP, Grand Canyon, and Grand Teton NP (if you go to Yellowstone)
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
My wife and I are planning a family vacation with our two daughters (ages 10 and 14). Coming from Toronto, Ontario, we are looking to plan a trip through Colorado, Utah, Arizona, with Yellowstone National Park being our last stop before heading home.

What are the "must do's" in these states? Where would be the best places to stay?
Need a little more info to give a meaningful reply.

When? How Long? What is the Mission?

The amount of time will be critical to suggestions for this Epic Trip.

- -

These will give you some idea - involve the Girls - needs to be Fun for All.

http://www.cross-country-trips.com/

http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
At that time of year I recommend you stay out of the lower elevations in Arizona. There is lots to see but most "northern" people don't handle the heat well. The Grand Canyon area would be good but Phoenix and other desert areas will be well be 100-120 in the day and it doesn't cool off much at night. Also July-August-September is Monsoon time.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #9

Minus drive time you will basically have 11 days or so for the 4 states (3 days/state). That is not enough time if you're visiting national parks. Grand Canyon in Arizona would be the only recommended stop and even that - the North Rim would have cooler temperatures. You'd be close to I-40 for traveling either to or from.

If you plan on Yellowstone you must at least explore Grand Teton Nat'l Park which is right next door and is completely different from Yellowstone in looks and things to do. Explore each national park's 'nps' web site for tons of good information.

Give us an idea of your planned stops other than Yellowstone and perhaps we can give you a route and a thing or two to see.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #10

For those who don't think we have enough time, our first trip with this trailer was to the Canadian west coast. Yes it was a little rushed. But, we had a blast.

The total trip was almost 11,000 km in 17 days. We drove three days to get to Edmonton then ...

- West Edmonton Mall
- Jasper
- Lake Louise
- Banff
- Revelstoke
- North Vancouver
- Tofino
- Mt. Rushmore

What an adventure !! We're looking to do something similar through the US mid-West. The anchors and must see's of the trip will be the Grand Canyon and end off at Yellowstone.

We're giving the kids the experience of seeing North America. After we retire, we'll have more time to explore at a more relaxed pace.

Tags
arizona, cat, colorado