Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Vallecito Resort Near Durango?

Has anyone been to Vallecito Resort RV park just East of Durango CO?

MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Vallecito

I don't try to bash places but I'd give Vallecito a thumbs down. I stayed there last summer and left early. Maybe some folks like it, but I didn't. I know Colorado pretty well as that is my home state ( live in FL now).

First the name and pictures. It is far from a "resort" . It is a old campground in some very large trees. Probably over half the campground is regular seasonal weekenders with old trailers permanently anchored to their sites.

It's very shaded. Very dark, not much light in a lot of spots. Some tight maneuvering ( I had a 40 ft Monaco).

We parked in one of the weekend "rental" spots and had regulars zooming up dirt roads. So much in fact we couldn't leave our windows open for the dust.

It seemed expensive for what we got. We preferred several places nearer to the town of Durango or an excellent one we stayed in Pagosa Springs.

Since I left Colorado the pine beetles have ravaged the forests. Most of the trees around Vallecito were brown and near dead. Durango is still green. The blight is appalling.

I won't go back...any State Park or Forest CG would be more enjoyable.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

Old dirty and too crowded....That part of CO is best done in USFS cg or boondocking....
Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the two comments...I appreciate that....hmm. Zero for two.

Hey Hogdriver...what was the one (or ones) that you liked around Pagosa Springs?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I spent 3 weeks last summer at the Alpen Rose CG which is about 1 or 2 miles north of Durango. I would go back when and if I'm ever in the Durango area. Clean, good location and nice people.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Pagosa Springs CG

Try Wolf Creek Run CG if you like big rig class A Motorcoach places. The owners live there in the summer in a Prevost. Each evening they host a cocktail and snacks on a fantastic deck overlooking a beautiful river.

Wolf Creek Run Motor Coach River Park - Home Page

There are other places nearby, but we had fun here and wished we'd stayed longer. Pagosa is a great biking and/or walking city. Pagosa can be hot in middle summer but always cools down to great temperatures in the evening.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Try Wolf Creek Run CG if you like big rig class A Motorcoach places. The owners live there in the summer in a Prevost. Each evening they host a cocktail and snacks on a fantastic deck overlooking a beautiful river.

Wolf Creek Run Motor Coach River Park - Home Page

There are other places nearby, but we had fun here and wished we'd stayed longer. Pagosa is a great biking and/or walking city. Pagosa can be hot in middle summer but always cools down to great temperatures in the evening.
I agree. Nicest park I've found in Colorado. We stopped there for a couple of nights and ended up staying over a week.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

We have not stayed at this park since it's outward appearance was not good. We stayed at Blue Spruce RV which is NW of Vallecito during the summer of 2009. It was OK but quite far from Durango.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Thanks for the great comments, they really help. I appreciate you all taking the time to advise your experiences!!