Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Thumbs up Vance Toe River Lodge Campground, Plumtree, NC

The Lodge Campground

Brett and I are workcamping here this year. We arrived Easter Sunday morning. What a great family here to not only work for, but to be around.
So warm, friendly, and accommodating.The owners Cleve and Robin Young, and their children run this wonderful campground. Not only do they have the 60 site campground, but they also have a B & B, gourmet restaurant & winery. We are up in the mountains in Avery county, NC.
If you are in North Carolina or think you will be passing through, this is a must to check out!
Season officially opens here Mother's Day weekend.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Glad to hear that everything is working out well for you! The Lodge website is very interesting to us, as we would like to try some workamping without a long term commitment. Our daughter and son-in-law will be moving to Boone next month, so Plumtree would be very convenient to work and also spend some time with them.

Do you know what type of work you will be doing? How long will you be at The Lodge Campground?

Please keep posting, as we are very interested in your workamping experience.

Walter

Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Hi Walter:
Well, Brett and I plan to be here thru October. I (Linda) will be working at the restaurant (which is about a mile or so from the actual campgrounds) and Brett will pretty much be all around handyman-he's been working on the 4 wheelers they have here and getting them up and running, and during the season he will be doing some minor landscaping as well.I will be working approximately 20 hrs a week at the restaurant. 4 hours will go towards our site stay and the remaining 16 or so hours will be paid to me. And Brett will be contributing another 4 hrs of his work time towards the site stay as well.
We absolutely love it here and the owners and their family are like I said before so warm and accommodating. They have so much going on here with new projects even for the future, I don't see how they manage to do it all. They amaze me!
If you read the Work Camping page on their website you can see that they really do have alot here to keep busy with. Right now Brett and I are pretty much the only ones here until next week when others get here. We love the scenery and the quietness and just enjoy the nature here.
They officially open things Mother's Day Weekend here, and I will gladly keep everyone posted on how things are going.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Thanks for the information. It does sound like a a great place to be. We just attended the Southeastern Spring Rally in Mount Airy, NC and considered coming by on the way home. Looking at the weather forecast, we opted to go to Myrtle Beach (where we are now). We hope to take another trip in the next few weeks and will try to get by to see The Lodge Campground and all they have to offer. We will let you know when we plan to come, and maybe we can get an opportunity to meet you there.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Walt & Genie:

Yes, the weather has turned to a few showers here and is a little cooler than it probably is at Myrtle Beach..lol
We look forward to meeting you, please do let us know if you might be headed this way sometime soon.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Brett & Linda,
Now that you have had a chance to workamp at Vance for a while, how are things going? Do you still feel like you made a good choice, i.e., would you do it again?

We have not been to your area since we last emailed, but we are planning to be in Boone 5/18-5/21 to help our daughter/son-in-law paint their new place. We would love to come by to meet you and visit Vance while we are so close. We are not sure what our schedule will be and may not have internet service for a few days after tomorrow morning. Would it be possible to just drop by and ask for you at the restaurant or campground? We would not want to interfere with your work, so if that is not convenient please let us know. Is there a day/time that you know that you would not be working?

We hope things are going well, and look forward to hearing from you.
Walter
Old 05-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Thumbs up

Oh, absolutely drop by and just ask for us! I (Linda) will be off on Sunday and Monday. The restaurant itself is actually closed on Monday and Tuesdays. But I will be there working I think Tuesday and they can give you directions as to how to get over to the campground if I'm not there.
We'd love to have you stop in.
As to would we do it again...DEFINITELY! We absolutely love it here! Cleve and Robin Young the owners are such wonderful people and have fantastic kids here that help so much.

Have safe travels and feel free to come see us when it's convenient for you.
The phone number for the Lodge/Restaurant is 828 765 9696

Linda & Brett
Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Walt & Genie,

Thank you for taking the time to look us up and spend a day in our neck of the woods. ;-) It was a pleasure in meeting you both.
Sorry Brett was feeling under the weather when you stopped though. He suffered over a week with congestion and sinuses giving him fits. Finally all better and out and about working on things here again.

Hope all is going well and you've had safe travels....next visit bring the camper and be ready to spend a few days here- We'd love to have ya.

Linda
Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Linda & Brett,
It was nice to meet the both of you, and we are glad that Brett is feeling much better. We felt bad about waking Brett up when we went by the campground.

We are glad that your work experience is going so well. We hope that we can get by to see you again on one of our future trips to visit our daughter in Boone.

Take care and keep us posted on how everything is going.

Walter