Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #1

Vancouver Island info

Hey my fellow BC folks. DW wife and I have decided were gonna do our week long family vacation over on the island to spend a week breathing fresh ocean air. We were hoping to get a little more info on some different sites throughout mid island, so anybody that has any insight would be great. We are looking at Rathtrevour provincial park for a couple nights, which comes highly reviewed as well Qualicum First Nations Campground looks very rustic but beautiful has anyone stayed here we would like to have 3 nights there.
We would love to head over to Hornby but really not sure if it's worth it to stay over as the reviews on all the campgrounds are very dim and there is no dump stations on the island. Would we be better just to take the toad over for the day?
Is the Paradise Sea Side resort better for a excursion rather than staying there? I am thinking it will be well worth it to pay the extra $100 in ferry fares to bring the car along
Thanks all !!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I think we drove by the Qualicum first nations campground and kept going....It didn't impress. We have stayed at living forest in Nanaimo and salmon point resort in Campbell River which is further up Island. Both are outstanding CG and you would need to book ahead. I think you are better to drive your toad to Hornby for a day trip. There is a CG in Parksville which is situated very near to the beach but I don't recall the name. Check out RVparkreviews.com for help is assessing the CGs on the Island. If you are coming from Washington I would suggest that you take the WA state ferry from Anacortes to Sidney which will save you time (no border wait) and money....

Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

We have started at the first nations campground. Rustic but it's right on the beach so that is a plus in my book. Can't recall if there were hookups. Several years ago. Nothing can beat the beach at rathtrevor unless you include the beach at miracle beach ( provincial park north of Courtenay)

If you like the rugged outdoors, a friend recommended ripple rock campground north of Campbell river

Be sure to disconnect the road when you travel on bc ferry. You will save about $50 on the return trip
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Thanks so much! Qualicum has hookups now so And we do like rugged so I think we will take the chance and book for Aug
Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All provincial parks on the island have NO services other than water & dump station.....Qualicum 1st Nation....water & power & dump station only.......
Full service rv parks - Nanaimo = Living Forest or Brennan Lake Resort....Parksville = Riverbend or Parry's.....Qualicum = Qualicum Bay Resort.....Courtenay = Seal Bay Resort, Miracle Beach(Prov. Park), Bates Beach, Pacific Playground Resort....Campbell River = Salmon Point Resort, Thunderbird Resort, Brown's Bay....etc, etc, etc
Old 02-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

What type and size of vehicle are you camping in? Kids or no kids?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #7

Shame on me I should have been much more specific, 31 ft class a with gen and solar so we don't mind being off the grid, 2 daughters 9 and 6. Our 2 chihuahuas and our trusty vw toad
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #8

OK, so that probably means paved roads only. Rathtrevor is nice, short walk to the beach. Miracle beach is similar in many ways but with a longer walk to the beach. The caves at Horne Lake is a fun day trip.

You might be able to get info green point ( Tofino) but there aren't many Rv's and the spots may be too small (also no showers) . There are private campgrounds on the Pacific side. The beach and tidal pools will provide the kids days of enjoyment (maybe give them gravol for the drive there).

Sprout Lake gets nice and warm in the summer, it has spots on the lake side of the campground suitable for a class A.

Living Forest seemed nice, it was quiet for such a large campground, it's well treed with rolling hills. (only spent a quick night there to get on the first ferry in the morning)

Quatse River Campground near Port Hardy is worthwhile when the pinks start swimming up the river, as the campground is next to a spawning pool. Not sure what else there is to do at the campground though (do you have a toad?)

Just west of Campbell River is Buttle Lake... Nice Sandy beach with more beaches a short hike away.

I had neighbors that would go to French Beach near Victoria every summer... They highly recommended it but we never made it out there.

Most of our camping on the island was at forest service rec sites, off the beaten path with a tent trailer...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonmacd View Post
We have started at the first nations campground. Rustic but it's right on the beach so that is a plus in my book. Can't recall if there were hookups. Several years ago. Nothing can beat the beach at rathtrevor unless you include the beach at miracle beach ( provincial park north of Courtenay) If you like the rugged outdoors, a friend recommended ripple rock campground north of Campbell river Be sure to disconnect the road when you travel on bc ferry. You will save about $50 on the return trip
Thank you for the tip, we are looking for rugged for sure I googled ripple rock and I found Browns bay? Is this the right one? It looked like pretty tight quarters
Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Probably. Haven't been there myself but my friend took his 5th wheel there and enjoyed the location. The photos do look tight on the website. I think that the surroundings are the appeal. If you like wilderness and don't mind a gravel road, there is a provincial cg about 15 km up the road from Menzies bay. We enjoyed a three day stay there.

I echo the recommendation for Horne lake. Fun to see the caves. I took my older class c to the cg at Horne lake. Road is a bit rough but passable.