Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vancouver Island, where to stay...

So, we are planning a trip to Vanvouver Island this summer, maybe the last 2 weeks of July. 40'DP.
We will not be towing a toad.
We love coast towns and would need rv parks near town where we can walk or bicycle to town.
We have no set plans and maybe just stay on the east side the Island this time.

Peddlers Bay, Browns Bay, Salmon Point, Port hardy are all rv parks I have on a list as decent.

Any and all info from anybody who lives there or has been there would be of great help.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Never been there but consistently rates highly.

http://www.livingforest.com/

Courtney is nice enough as are most towns along the way. After Campbell River however, things get a lot more sparse. Telegraph Cove is where there is a lot of great whale watching and so on but best to check on places to put the 40' er. I haven't been for years. It was largely a gravel road to get in at that time but I imagine things are very different there now. A big marina was going in at that time.

Chemainus is a very nice community with all sorts of town murals.

Now if you want long sandy beaches, you are probably wanting the West Side (Tofino and Ucluelet). But you have to go via hwy 4 which is a twisty, curvy two lane affair which can be a put off for some. It will wear you down some but once there, it is certainly worth it. Space for a 40' might be a bit short on the ground and prices aren't going to be cheap but there is good biking (largely level between the two towns and Tofino is a great little place to wander through. Also whale watching and fishing charters galore there.

The best thing to do would be to get the tourism BC guides for the Vancouver Island region. You can find more info at this site.

Destination British Columbia | Official Tourism and Travel Website for BC Canada
Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Salmon Point is right on the water just outside a small town with all conveniences, further south is a place called Qualicum Bay Resort- rite on the water as well & a good 10-15 mile bike ride to Courtenay, another small town....then further south is Nanaimo (where I live) that has an rv park called Living Forest.....between Nanaimo & south to Victoria...might be hard pressed to find something to your liking with a 40 foot rig, but in Victoria(south end of island) there are a few places such as West Bay Marine & RV Park(rite close to downtown), Weir's Beach(a little further out of the city), Fort Victoria RV, Oceanside RV Park are but a few I would recommend, plus two ferry systems back to USA, one from Victoria to Port Angeles, the other from Victoria to Blaine, WA....need more info. email!!!!
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you both for the info!

I do really want this to be a good trip as it will be the 1st for the wife and I.
I will shoot you an e-mail, thanks again!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59
Thank you both for the info! I do really want this to be a good trip as it will be the 1st for the wife and I. I will shoot you an e-mail, thanks again!
TMan....we live in Victoria and have taken our 38' MH to most of the Island. In Victoria you have 3 options;

1) Oceanside .......is located on the Sannich peninsula half way between Sidney & Victoria. It is on the ocean and pretty much on the Galloping Goose bike path (60min to either Sidney or Victoria). Nice park with many full-time residents.

2) Westbay Marine Village .....is located in downtown Victoria (on the water) and within walking/biking distance of the entire downtown. This park is not much more than a fancy parking lot, but you absolutely cannot beat the location.

3) Pedder Bay Marina ... Is one of our favourite RV destinations "Anywhere". Great park, on the water (fishing, kayaking, crabbing, bird watching (eagles, osprey, herron), marine mammals (seals, otters, mink, bears) Pedder is also on the Galloping Goose hiking/biking trail ( 2hrs to Vic & 90min. to Sooke) and also part of E. Sooke park with hundreds of kilometres of coastal hiking......and walking distance to Matheson lake for fresh water swimming (dogs & people). Outdoor Cafe on the water serves homemade "stuff" and Starbucks coffee!

We have other favourite locations on the a Island, but we'll leave the recommendations for those living up North.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you!
That is the kind of info that really helps.
I really hadn't thought about stopping in Victoria.

Peddler Bay sounds great!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

The Island is a great place to visit, but Ferry fares kill it for us. Over $ 400. return for 40' coach and ( 2 ) people !
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #8

Just south of Port McNeil, & off of Telegraph Cove Road is Alder Bay Resort & Marina (Alder Bay Resort - Telegraph Cove, British Columbia). Probably the best combo deal RV Park & Marina on the Island but reserve early.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote