Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

We have a business meeting in The Colony, TX and ran accros The Vineyards campground. Anyone have any info or opinions?

Also looking for a place in Texas which is not too long a drive to spend a "snow bird" week before heading back north to KC

Thanks in advance Tom Highland

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
Tom,

We have stayed at The Vineyards. It was during the heat of the summer and just after they reopened from being refurbished. I do not know what to expect from them in the winter. It is a nice campground, virtually everything is new after the major makeover.

I would love to stay at this park again but they just about have priced me out of their market with rates at around $44/night. I guess they are fashioning themselves for the upscale crowd.

If you want to use their pavillion (concrete pad with roof and picnic tables) be ready to fork over more than $300. I've rented pavillions 4 times larger with walls to block the wind and fire-brick pits big enough to barbeque a side of beef for less than $90 at other facilities.

It is a nice campground, big rig accomodating, nice ammenities, beautiful setting, a rural setting in surburban surroundings (all kinds of shopping & restraunts nearby, not to mention the Gaylord Texan). If my wallet was bigger I would not think twice about staying there again.

jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. We booked it on the computer and (believe it or not) got the last full hook-up available! Price with 62+ senior came out to 34/night...sounds like KOA rates.

Still would like to spend some extra time within reasonable driving range in order to enjoy some warm weather. It's 7 degrees in KC this morning. Tom
Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom,
In Texas, nothing is "to far," to a Texan.

I don't personally think there is a lot to do in Dallas, but that is, again, a personal observation. Also, Dallas can get down right cold, with inclement weather.

If you are looking for a few good weeks, consider a 300 mile jaunt down to San Antonio. There is tons of stuff to do in that area. Just the Alamo, and the River Walk, is worth the trip.

There are several CG's in the area, but we stay at Braunig Lake RV Resort on 37S just outside the 410 loop. It is Passport America, and if you are a PA member it would be about $129 for a week, including taxes. Plenty of activities at the CG. The hosts, and people, are really gracious. We may be heading that way if I can get my coach out of service for warranty work. Seems like it has been in there for an eternity.

Braunig is about 7-10 miles from downtown San Antonio.

Austin is nice, but still a little colder than SA. It is about 225 miles South of Dallas, same route to take to get to SA. If you go to Austin, Oak Forest RV Park is nice, but PA is only good for 1 week a year, accumulative, when you use it. Braunig is all the time.

Houston is about 250 miles S of Dallas and I'm about 40 miles South of Houston. We are having a cold spell. Right now at 10:00 a.m. it is 50 degrees. Plenty of CG's in the area. Some pricey, some not.

Darn! Seems like all the warm places are 250-300 miles South of where you will be.

Edited: Also, around the New Braunfels area there are several campgrounds which puts you within 50 miles of day touring San Antonio, Austin, and other points of interest.

Oh! And we don't refer to you as "Snow Birds," we consider you "Winter Texans."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #5

Hi Wayne, thanks for the in depth response. We took you up on your recommendation and are going to Bruanig's Feb 12-17. As an almost official Winter Texan we are holding you to your warm weather forecast! Thanks again for your help. Tom Highland
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom,
Great news. You will enjoy the area. I hope you called ahead and asked if they had any rally's going on? That is a good thing to do anywhere you plan on stopping.

I hope Joan is on the desk when you check in. Give her my regards. She does a great job of alternately parking big rigs every other slot so you have room. Otherwise it can be tight, but still worth the money.

Don't know our schedule yet with DR's appointments and a court date on Feb 19th for a guy that hit and ran when he knocked me of my motorcycle at 50 mph. I do need to be there for that one and hope he gets the max.

We'll see.

Take in the mission tour if you can, along with the Alamo and River walk.

Happy traveling.

Edited: Average temperature that time of year is 67 degrees. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If you're looking for a park near The Colony, take a look at Hidden Coves in Frisco. The park is on Lake Lewisville only a couple of miles northwest of The Colony. The park has very good reviews on RV Park Reviews:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/r...ns/Texas/Frisco.html

We haven't stayed there, but have visited and it is nice - not a "resort" with lots of amenities, but nice. Cost is about $20/night.